Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Two corps doing West Side Story this summer!

The Holy Name Cadets and the Troopers are both doing West Side Story this summer. I've heard both and they don't sound similar at all.

When is the last time that two corps did such a similar topic, for their programs, in the same summer? How often has this happened, over the decades?

Re: Two corps doing West Side Story this summer!

Cavaliers and Devs did the same concert number in 1979 (a Stan Kenton piece - can't remember the name). Black Knights and Stockton Commodores both did "Russian Sailors Dance" in 1973 (and the Cavaliers later did it in 1976 adn 1978). Bridgemen and Madison both did "Stars and Stripes Forever" in 1976. Norwood and 27th Lancers did "Crown Imperial" in 1974. Norwood and Madison both did parts of "Symphonic Dance Number 3" in 1978. Cavaliers and Troopers both did "Battle Hymn" for several years, and add the Royal Airs with their "John Brown's Body" in 1966.

In those days, however, corps weren't generally doing theme shows. I can't remember a year where two corps did the same theme throughout their entire shows.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Bob, a good point. "THEME" shows are part of the "new tradition" of drum corps. Not sure WHY this is good, but that is what they like now.

But, in the "old days", there was usually a "pattern" to corps programs:

1. Opening (on the line, of course) ... most often, a march or Broadway tune.

2. Transition number .. often a sentimental tune (My Heart tells Me, One Heart, Always and Forever, etc)

3. Color Presentation: ALWAYS a patriotic tune!

4. Concert- you know the drill for that!!

5. Out of Concert production number.... this was usually the BIG drill and music number.

6. Closer ... off the field (to the "old" finish line). Often a tune reflecting "thanks or see you again" .

What OTHER thoughts?

Dave,

That was the basic pattern into the early 80s in some cases.

And the drill for the exit, at least the first few shows, was "turn in 4 and head for the end zone - but don't cross the finish line until (whatever musical break was the right timing)." For those of you not following, many corps hadn't quite finished their shows by the end of May, when competitions started!

And then there were prelim drills, when you eliminated the concert number and the out-of-concert (maybe filled in with an old drum solo or street beat to make up the time difference).

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Having seen the Troopers show I wouldn't really call it West Side Story. There are strains of some of the songs but it isn't like I'd expect the Cadets show would be (since they are into celebrating the real Cadets this year, the songs listed seem like a reprise of 1962) or past presentation by the Blue Devils and Madison (1977 I think).