Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Seat people on BOTH sides of the stadium?

Why doesn't DCI seat people on BOTH sides of the stadium, say between the 30 yard lines? That way, there would be many more "prime" seats. DCI could sell more prime tickets that way and more fans would be seated at, or near, mid-field. Corps could do their shows to accomodate both sides of the field. Why not?

Re: Seat people on BOTH sides of the stadium?

You answered your own question, Bill. Shows are designed to be presented to the audience on ONE side. If a corps faces the back, it's generally to achieve a softer musical effect, or an echo. It has always been this way. Think of it like a concert hall. Would you pay full price to look at the BACK of the Chicago Symphony?

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

In past times, the corps that had already performed used to sit in the back stands to watch the remaining competitors, but I don't see that happen much anymore. During my eleven years marching, I saw more corps from the back than the front!

It might be interesting to see how corps, creatively, entertain both sides of the stadium. They would face the end zones for softer effects, I guess. I never hear any echoes. Maybe certain stadia bring about echoes, but I've never heard any. The Cavaliers' 2009 program, "The Great Divide," might work perfectly with such a seating arrangement. At the DCI Finals, about the only seats you can buy, now, are near the goal line, or beyond. I'd rather buy a center seat on the other side of the stadium, any day! How about a two years trial period... then ask the fans and the corps what they think.

As for corps seeing each other perform, I've been told by corps members that the only time they see other corps perform is after the season, on dvd.

Bob is correct, the corps shows are designed to be viewed from the
"home" side of stadia ...which is where the JUDGES are.

I judged a show where Bill's idea was used ... the corps alternated directions (one corps used the normal starting line and faced the "home side", the next corps used the "finish line" as their starting line.) This was in the "old days" where those "lines" existed!

But, the JUDGES moved from side to side! Yep, there was a "box" on both sides and the judges moved for each corps! What a pain that was!

I don't really remember WHERE this was. I seem to recall that it was one of the Drums Along The Rockies shows ... but that may be incorrect.

Don't see how this could occur. The corps play to just one side of the stadium. That's also how high school and college bands perform.

I'm trying to imagine certain judges - Gus Barbaro comes to mind, or Dave Richards - running back and forth between corps and climbing the stairs to two different press boxes. They'd never survive, and the show wouldn't be over until 3 in the morning!

I'm trying to imagine certain judges, too.

Rick Maass comes to mind.

And Dave Borck :)

What did you do in the Corps? Drumline

What years were you a Corps member? 1960-1965

I wasn't brave enough to mention those two...

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

sometimes the truth hurts!

BUT, we didn't have to run to the other side of the stadium. They drove us there in golf carts. I don't really remember the stadium layout, but it wasn't a real hassle to do this. And, it didn't take a lot of time. (?)

Probably wouldn't work at most sites!

With as long as it takes corps to set up these days (between the pit and the mass of equipment for the guards), you'd probably have time to switch sides and enjoy a meal!

It is surprising how fast they do get setup so having a corps setup on the other side might not impact the time.

But the bigger factor would be the crowd moving from one side of the field to the other. I won't want to watch a show where have the corps are playing to the other side of the field.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone--Cadets 1959 through 1961 Imperials 1962 through 1966