Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
July 18 show in McHenry?

Would be interesting to hear a report from anyone who attended this show.

Re: July 18 show in McHenry?

The show went very well--had a FULL house. Listened
to the show as was working with the RA staff. It was
great to hear drum corp. music again,and to see
ol'friends!

What did you do in the Corps? Color Guard

What years were you a Corps member? 69 & 70

Great .. but:

1. WHAT corps were there?
2. Was this an indoor show or outside on the field? Any corps do a
field drill?

Dave, in answer to your questions, it was an indoor show performed in the McHenry West H.S. gymnasium. Four of the units that appeared were drum corps. The Northenaires, were from Menominee, and the Lakeshoremen, from Troy, Mi. Both were very small, but enteraining, numbering in the mid-twenties. The Northenaires did a drill, but the Lakeshoremen did what was basically a standstill. The other two corps were the Classic Cavaliers and the Royal Airs, both numbered around forty members and were senior corps, by any definition. They were extremely talented, as would be be expected, and they both performed drills. The other two units were the South Shore Drill Team and the Strikers from Crystal Lake, Il. I would have a hard time making a guess at the numbers for South Shore since there were only 6 to 10 on the floor at any given time until the end of their program. Their program consisted of flag work, rifles, and alot of dancing, all to recorded music. The last unit was the Strikers, who as the name would imply, were a percussion ensemble. They did an inovative drill, but how good they were, from a technical standpoint, I couldn,t even guess. Though each was evaluated by judges, the winner was determined by the audience. The winners were the Strikers, followed by South Shore, as determined by a cell phone vote. It was a very entertaining show, and as Jolyne pointed out, the crowd was large and appreciative. How anyone could compare apples, oranges, peaches and determine a winner was beyond me and if this is the rebirth of drum corps, as we knew, it has a long way to go. That said, it was well worth the money for the enterainment value and for Diane and I to have the pleasure of meeting Jolyne.

Thanks for the report Jim. Sounds like an interesting "show".

Probably not what we have been used to, but sounds like fun too.
(Except for the being indoors part ... my ears would be hurting BIG TIME after that! )

Believe me Jim & Diane...the pleasure was all mine!

Jolyne

What did you do in the Corps? Color Guard

What years were you a Corps member? 69 & 70

Jim,

After all these years you STILL can't tell a good drum line from a bad one?!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arrnager

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Jim, Diane & Jolyne - I was there with my family and am sorry I didn't get a chnace to see you guys and meet you Jolyne. I have a six year old & a 1 year old and sometimes it is hard to actually do what you plan.

I enjoyed the show as well as my family. My 1 year year old loved the Crystal Lake Strykers (the percussion ensemble); she was bouncing all over the place. I haven't played the drums in a long time but I thought they were pretty good. They reminded me of the drum solos that were played in the show "BLAST" that was out about 6 years ago.

The ensemble consisited of approximately 5 snares, 3 tenors and 5 bass drummers. The tenors actually played part of the show with plastic bowling pins, can't actullay tell if they were clean at that point but it looked good. They played with taped music in the background. (Wipeout, Brickhouse. Their uniforms consisted of a yellow baseball cap, black & light blue bowling shirts, black shorts, socks & gym shoes. The drums were covered in zebra striped fabric. It looked like they were having a lot of fun. Their performance is on You Tube already.

Missed the last 2 corps but enjoyed the show anyways. Sorry I missed you Jim & Diane and sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you Jolyne.

What did you do in the Corps? drums & horns

What years were you a Corps member? 1978-1981

Judy:

You probably did meet me--I was the blonde at the door, stamping hands as you came into the gym, with the RA shirt on. Next show-lets exchange cell numbers--then we can meet--
sound good?

Sounds good to me.

What did you do in the Corps? drums & horns

What years were you a Corps member? 1978-1981