Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Touring

Dave Borck and I have been talking through email about corps going on tour, and the major difference that has made in drum corps. Before the 70s, many corps never went on a major tour during the season, staying within a two or three state area (a long trip from Chicago would be Michigan). The top corps (Norwood, Royal Airs, Cavaliers, Vanguard) might go to Nationals for about a week, but it was generally only for a show or two, and they didn't always go every year. Many years it was tough to attend both AL and VFW because of scheduling.

Then in the 70s, it became more common for corps to take one or even two long (two-week) tours during the summer. They would generally start local, go on a smaller tour, return home for a while, then a longer tour into Nationals. Of course, the California corps would be on tour longer, because there weren't really many local shows out there. This started demanding much more money, and not all corps were able to do it, which started to effect their competitive standing as they weren't exposed to the other top corps as often. I know this hurt us in the Cavaliers in the mid 70s, because Phantom, Madison, Blue Stars, and Kilties would all go on an early tour out East or West, while we stayed behind and beat up on the Guardsmen for two weeks.

Of course today, most corps are on tour all summer. I had a chance to do that in 1980 with Spirit (mostly because there were NO other corps in the South at that time, so we had to tour to compete). While it was great fun for one year - and I had left college specifically to do that, so studying wasn't an issue - I don't think I could have done it year after year. I certainly couldn't have done it for 11 years, which is how long I eventually marched.

I think today's kids don't stay in drum corps as long as many of us did because they can't afford the money or time. I also think they see drum corps purely as a performance opportunity, and not the same social activity it was for most of us.

So my question is this: How many of you think you would have enjoyed the touring lifestyle of today's drum corps?

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Re: Touring

While I enjoyed the competitive nature of drum corps in my days, I wouldn't want it to be as INTENSE as it is now. I enjoyed having a social life and a summer job (college intern). Drum corps was NOT my life.

Maybe the Open Class drum corps allows young people to still do that and also enjoy drum corps.

Currently almost all of the World class does extensive touring for a couple months. The lower tier, i.e. Jersey Surf, Pioneer, etc. will do a little less touring, but still take around a month long tour.

The kids can save up to do one, maybe two years to march in a world class corps, but barely any can afford to be "lifers" like we were.

The bonds they make are still pretty strong in jr corps though... you figure you actually live in tight quarters with these people for a few months. From move in dates in May through the beginning of August you are with these people.

For those kids that cannot afford to do this type of drum corps, or have summer school, or need to have a job, or want a social life now do "all-age" (used to be called sr. corps). The average age of most of the top 10 corps at DCA is around college age. Sure we've still got some old folks and also we have have the high school aged kids training, but many of our members can no longer afford the money or time to commit to a world class corps. Now it seems that all-age has taken over that weekend shows/rehearsal type of activity all of us grew up in.

What did you do in the Corps? brass

What years were you a Corps member? 76-83

Mary,

How do the "old folks" feel about the senior corps becoming "all-age", and the resulting drop in average age? It has to have changed the atmosphere for those organizations.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arrnager

Not sure this is an issue of SENIOR corps becoming ALL AGE, but having all age corps as an alternative to DCI (for younger folks) and limited membership for SENIOR corps... this might be a great alternative.

Our “old folks” have never been too terribly old. Bushwackers has always been a relatively young corps with the majority of people in their 20s & 30s. Now we're getting more college kids due to not being able to afford DCI corps. We’ve also been a training ground for teens trying to get their foot into a top 12 DCI corps for many years too. Currently our oldest members are in their 50s and I figure if they didn’t like the youth movement they would probably be marching in one of the alumni corps where they are more of an adult oriented, "old school" type of corps.

So I think what you’re getting at in your questioning Bob is back in the 70s the senior corps were a bunch of partiers. you’re talking about the beer drinking, right? Do we still pop open a cold brew before rehearsal? I cannot say that every all-age corps has gotten away from that, but the majority of us take our rehearsal time seriously due to a highly competitive circuit. We adhere to some grueling schedules, you have to be in shape, you have to know your music/drill/guard work but when it comes time to enjoy a cold beverage and dress in togas, we do so. There’s a time and a place. We do have corps rules that state no one under the age of 21 may consume alcohol, if caught, you’re out. If you’re over 21 and caught giving alcohol to a minor you’re out. It seems to work well. It’s a cohesive unit that bonds together well.

Dave, I think DCA corps are a great alternative for kids that can no longer afford the $2000. price tag to march some of these corps. While I always support the kids that leave us to march in a world class corps, I always remind them that we are always there for them if they don't make the cut, or can't afford it.

This year we have kids in Blue Devils, Crown, Crossmen, Cadets and Surf and I'm bringing them all cookies in Allentown this weekend!

What did you do in the Corps? brass

What years were you a Corps member? 76-83

Mary, it sounds great!

I was happy with the way our contests were setup,
it gave everyone time to do other things in
between the weekly contests,besides the practices
we had to go to.And of course everyone looked
forward to the trips to Nationals,spending that
week away,it was always a learning experience as
well.

Doing what these kids do now be gone all summer,I
don't think I would of changed the way we did it.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? !957 thru 1963

Rich, I agree with you 100%. That is NO life for me. Drum corps was WAY different for us!

Like I said, it was fun for one year, but I couldn't have done it for 10. And the one year I did was nothing like what they do now.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arrnager