Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The list

Sitting down drinking a cup of coffee it came to me.

The first cup of coffee that I had was at a drum corp camp.
The first Beer I drank was at a party with corp friends

♪♫♪♫♪ It would be interesting to add to the list.♪♫♪♫♪
LOL
:D

Re: The list

my 1st love was a girl in the vanguards. wonder where she went when i went in the army.

Gosh! That list might become embarrassing!! (but interesting!)

BTW .. a LOT of Imperials met their "first love" through drum corps contacts!

My first wife...oh, let's not go there...

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arrnager

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

I agree with Dave. This could become embarrassing but interesting.

As I thought about it, I am in the same position as Jeff. Both my first coffee (which I still hate and never drink) and my first beer were in drum corps. And I'll go one step further. They were both with the same person - Brian Romanelli. Anyone else remember that family? Brian played baritone in the Cadets, and his sisters Tina and Nita were in the guard. Their parents were very active, but I don't think any of them ever went up to the 'A' corps.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

I remember Brian his sisters Tina and Nita
were in the guard. Brian was good freinds with Ed Sell.
I think Brian march one year in the A corp.

Oh yea I like coffee

Too many first in drum corps and too many embarrassing moment to even list any of them here.

You guys can list yours though so we can all have a good chuckle when we read them.

What did you do in the Corps? Brass Instructor, Arranger and Corps manager in 81

What years were you a Corps member? 1979-1982

Also: First time on a trip to a major city "on your own" with the corps). Going to places like New York, Detroit, Boston, Washington, New Orleans.

The big city was New Orleans in 73. We passed the building when it was being constructed. The New Orlands super done.

The first MAJOR sunburn of my life. Camp over Memorial day weekend, who knew about sunscreen in the 70's? It was so bad I had to put my dad's hanker-chiefs on the top of my shoulders so I could wear my graduation gown. OUCH!

What did you do in the Corps? Guard

What years were you a Corps member? 73-77

Yes, Donna, New Orleans in 73 for me too! In fact, most of the "Big Cities" I've visited in my life have ONLY been with drum corps - New York, Boston, Montreal, Toronto, New Orleans - I've never vacationed in any of them! Sad...

My first big trip (out of McHenry) and also without parents was with drum corp. My first love was in
Norwood also--if that guy reads this, yes..you know who you are.....

What did you do in the Corps? Color Guard

What years were you a Corps member? 69 & 70

Ah, come on, Joleyne - you can't stop there!

Hey Bob!! I think that guy should respond to this one---
if he doesn't maybe I tell.....

What did you do in the Corps? Color Guard

What years were you a Corps member? 69 & 70

i remember a salt and pepper shaker at fiesta days. sad as we age it takes a little reminder to remember. i do remember.

OK, now you're driving us crazy!

My first big trip,I'll always remember,it was to
Miami in 57' it was VFW National's.As many years
ago that was I can still picture in my mind what
it was like.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? !957 thru 1963

I remember New Orleans in 1973 - my first big drum corps trip - the same way. I can even remember the cassette tape I was listening to (George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass") on my SONY tape player. And the bus driver kept playing "City of New Orleans" the whole trip down. When we arrived in New Orleans, Dad was sitting in the pool, with the truck parked under the hotel sign (nobody thought it would make it). Someone had made a dummy of Belleville (the year they got the chrome helmets) and hung it somewhere in the hotel (I got the head and had it for many years after that). The parade was at night, and we got new heads on the drums for it (Remo White with the new black dots). It was hotter than hell, even though it was a night parade. And I remember watching the tenor line practice, and flies were literally biting holes in their ankles.

A lot of fun for minors In vanguard we drank and did "things" privately, we had a drunken beach party at a private lake in Marlborough Mass. That the buses took us to, management tried to control it. BUT Norwood was crazy enough to just drop us off. I joined the Corp in July and my first major show was New Orleans. I couldn't believe they just bussed us to Bourbon St. and let us go. After @ ten bars and then carried onto the bus from the gutter (I kind of remember it that way)to this day I can't drink a screwdriver.

What did you do in the Corps? Drums

What years were you a Corps member? 73 74-75