Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
honoring the jillions of corps from the past...

An idea for a corps show in 2010:

What if a corps did a tribute to all the pre-DCI corps, next summer? Wouldn't that be cool!

I'm so tired of DCI personnel referring to drum corps as that which has been around since 1972, as if that is when the activity was born. Also, there is no mention, ever, of the corps since 1972 who were not in DCI; they are forgotten as well (Imperials, for one).

I think that the fans would thrill to seeing a corps (any corps) put on a 12-13 minute program (as that corps' 2010 program all summer long) totally devoted to honoring the jillions of corps from the past... those that no longer exist, except in our memories. With planning and creativity, it could be done. I have some ideas for such a program; don't you (seriously)?

Re: honoring the jillions of corps from the past...

Sure, Bill. We all do.

But, DCI has NO respect for the past and NO interest in dealing with such an idea. Any corps which did this would be DUMPED beyond belief!

They would take last place in all their '10 competitions, huh?! LOL

Well, I can't speak for DCI or their wonderful judges .. but I'd expect any corps doing this to be at the BOTTOM of their heap!

I know a corps or two who just might take us up on the idea... DCI or no DCI?! Don't you?

That's the best idea I've ever heard. DCI ruined all the little and neighborhood corps. It seems as if big business and greed was involved.

Should we contact a corps or few about doing this? We could make it a project of ours.

What did you do in the Corps? A fan is all I was, from '54 (or '53) on.

What years were you a Corps member? Never was in a corps.

Santa Clara tried to honor their OWN past in 1992 - their 25th anniversary - by bringing back "Fiddler on the Roof". They ended up in seventh place...

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arrnager

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Many people don't like their management but at least the Cadets honored their history by using the Holy Name Cadets name this year. I thought that was very cool.....and they had a great show this year.

I'm a cynic and take the view point that the guy running the Cadets used it as a gimick to draw attention to the corps and gain support from alumni.

As for this year's show, a lot of us remember Garfield playing West Side Story in 1962. However, they had a show a few years back that was pretty much the music from 2009. I signed up for the DCI video on demand feature and found it when first looking at the site.

I will say that it was refreshing to see them have a show with recognizable music. Much different than shows with singers and speaking parts.