Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Famous corps songs

Here is a thought. What drum corps come to mind when you hear the titles (or hear the tune) of certain songs?

Examples:

. National Emblem march
. Conquest
. Auld Lang Syne
. Slaughter on 10th Avenue (more than 1 corps)
. French National Defile
. Sweet George Brown (more than 1 corps)

Any others to add?

Re: Famous corps songs

How about Malaguena?

Many corps played it at all different levels of difficulty.

One of my favorite concerts.

What did you do in the Corps? Guard

What years were you a Corps member? 73-77

Battle Hymn/John Brown's Body (also several corps, but a few more famous than others)
Danny Boy
When Irish Eyes are Smiling
Espana Cani
Magnificent Seven
You'll Never Walk Alone

I drive my wife crazy with exactly this! Any time a song plays (on TV, in a movie, on the radio, wherever) I immediately say the corps name and year that it was played. Her reply - always the same - "of course it was."

And in fact, this got me through music history at Northwestern. At that time (1977) corps were playing lots of classical music (in varying degrees of dullness), and I would actually write in my notes which corps played it. I got an A...

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arrnager

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

So..... NAME the corps.

. National Emblem march .. Blessed Sacrament
. Conquest .. St. Vincent, Boston Crusaders
. Auld Lang Syne .. KILTS
. Slaughter on 10th Avenue (more than 1 corps) .. Madison,
and NY Skyliners
. French National Defile.. Garfield Cadets
. Sweet George Brown (more than 1 corps) .. Spirit, Princemen
(senior)

A could of additions Dave.

Conquest was played by the Royal Airs

St Kevin's played Slaughter on Tenth Avenue in 1960. I do like the Madison arrangements but St Kevin's is fantastic considering the date.

When my wife and I were first married I played a recording of Garfield from the Dream Contest and she asked me who was playing "Script Ohio"? Ohio State plays the French National Defile when they do their formation that spells out Ohio is script. Garfield never sounded like the OSU Band though.

I don't know if these songs are all that famous but I recollect them from various corps repitores over the years and when I hear them they trigger a memory of that corps. (I hear a lot of these on Sirrus/XM radio and music the airlines have on their entertainment packages on flights.)

Dindi---Blue Devils
Por Favor---Blessed Sacrament
Dansero---Norwood
Down By the Station Early in the Morning--Skyliners
Baubles Bangles and Beads---Guardsmen
Don't Cha Go Away Mad--Madison
The Way We Were--Madison
Give Me the Simple Life--Blessed Sacrament
Like A Lover--Blue Devils
Walkin My Baby Back Home--Norwood
Happy Days are Here Again--Blue Devils
Laura--Blessed Sacrament
What Kind of Fool Am I--Royal Airs
What Kind of Fool Goes to April in Paris--Royal Airs
Our Love Affair--Royal Airs Alumni 2005
I'll Remember April--Hawthorne
Where are You--Royal Airs
The Shadow of Your Smile--Royal Airs
Since I Fell For You--Blue Devils
Let It Be Me--Spirit of Atlanta

A lot of these numbers are closers or the songs that a in the middle of the various corps shows.

I don't know how many of you have heard the Skyliner's version of "Down By the Station Early in the Morning" It's the kid's song that a lot of us remember from kindergarden and likely our own kids and grand kids music and toys with sound effects. They played it as part of their concert in 1963. Has some great solo work.

John, a great selection of memorable tunes. The Skyliners concert of "Down by the Station" was really good!