Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
QUESTION: WHY DO ANY CORPS ALUMNI FROM THE "OLD DAYS" CARE ABOUT DCI CORPS?

I really don't understand. Maybe I am goofy. (There will be people who will swear to that! )

MY primary focus is that drum corps was started and meant to be a COMMUNITY program; to help kids with activities, learning, supervision and instruction. It is clear that those days are ALMOST gone ... but there seem to be a few corps which actually have a COMMUNITY focus as part of their program!

As a PERSONAL point, I have to admit that the current drum corps programs are of NO interest to me. Marching omeabas on the field, rediculous use of drum stuff on the sidelines, goofy music.

Other thoughts on this?
---------------------------------------------------------------

What did you do in the Corps? drummer, later instructor

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Re: QUESTION: WHY DO ANY CORPS ALUMNI FROM THE "OLD DAYS" CARE ABOUT DCI CORPS?

Because it's there...

I think it's like popular music, sports, or anything else (all of which has changed drastically). It meant something to us before, and this is what it has evolved into, like it or not. There are still enough commonalities to keep many interested. I don't particularly like the shows, although I appreciate the difficulty of performing them. But there's no substitute for that sound - even though IT has changed as well.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arrnager

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Re: QUESTION: WHY DO ANY CORPS ALUMNI FROM THE "OLD DAYS" CARE ABOUT DCI CORPS?

Well, I can live with the "evolution" of the shows. Bob is right, things change and that is OK. If I don't like the product, I don't have to go and see it.

But, I think that it is sad that most locally based drum corps youth activities are gone now. It has become very expensive to operate a drum corps .. at least the big DCI type corps. Maybe the "small drum corps" idea and the local "all age" corps can help.

I did notice that both the Santa Clara Vanguard and the Blue Devils operate several units, including "B" corps which are competitive units for high school age kids. They don't do a lot of touring and are mostly local. Maybe that is another clue for the future?

As Bob said, a lot of us grew up in drum corps, some starting at a very early age!

What did you do in the Corps? drummer, later instructor

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63