Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ALL CORPS PICNIC IN AUGUST, 2010!!

HOLD THE DATE…AND PLAN YOUR TRIP TO CHICAGO FOR THE
All Drum corps picnic -

ON SATURDAY, AUGUST 21, 2010.

This event is the result of many discussions with our drum corps friends. Alumni from various drum corps: Royal Airs, Cavaliers, Norwood Park Imperials, Vanguards, Viscounts, Madison Scouts, Kilties, Chi-Angels/Cougars/Spartans, Giles Yellow Jackets, Nisei, and Mariners.

For some time now, the Chicago area corps alumni group has discussed having a picnic for all corps in the area. This is now going to be a reality. They have been in contact with numerous people from several corps and have received positive feedback.

They have secured a picnic grove which is centrally located in Barrington Lakes. This is a new facility with a shelter large enough to accommodate 100+ people. This beautiful facility on the Fox River is kept very clean, has modern indoor bathroom facilities, many electrical outlets, BBQ grills and a fireplace.

There will be no fee to anyone for the picnic. This will be a family-style picnic…bring your own food and drinks (liquor…in plastic or aluminum containers…IS allowed on the premises). Children, grandchildren, etc. will be welcome. There will be organized games for kids and adults, and possible entertainment. This is a VERY convenient location with a large shelter etc. - should work for all.

THIS WILL BE A GREAT OPPORTUNITY TO MEET YOUR CORPS FRIENDS - LOW KEY AND LOW COST! Plan to attend .. meet your IMPERIALS friends as well as friends from other area corps! Make NEW corps friends too! :)

Reminders will come later with further information (exact location, time, plans, etc.) as plans develop.

If you have any questions, please contact our Imperials rep .. Mouse Fligelman

847-395-8160
kflig@sbcglobal.net

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Re: ALL CORPS PICNIC IN AUGUST, 2010!!

Sure hope to see a LOT of IMPERIALS alumni planning to attend this event. It would be great fun for our gang .. and help to get us involved with the Chicago area corps alumni activity!

What years were you a Corps member? 1958- 1963

message from Ken "Mouse" Fligelman....
-----------------------------------------------

At this picnic the Royal Airs and Cavies have both committed to playing some of their old songs ..... Viscounts, Vanguard and maybe Giles and Neisei are trying to put something together as well.

SO, how about the Imperials??

Any Imperials alums interested in organizing this ... and/ or playing there? This could include a drum ensemble, brass ensemble, guard/ rifle stuff, etc.
It could be fun. :)

If interested, give Mouse a shout - kflig@sbcglobal.net

Ooops .. I was told today: no guard or rifle stuff, just music.

For Imperials alumni who are active on Facebook ..... this note from the All Chicago area alumni team:

The ALL CHICAGO AREA (1940’S THRU 1970’S) DRUM CORPS PICNIC is now a group on Facebook. We are over 140 members strong and growing each day. Check it out…a corps picture and/or a quip about your drum corps days would be most welcome.

Response has been great on this alumni gathering. Meet your Imperials friends and also greet (and meet) friends from other corps!

No cost! Bring family with!

Info from Mouse Fligelman and Adrianne !! :)
-----------------------------------------------

Place: Fox River Forest Preserve
(1st Pavilion upon entering…on right) – LARGE PAVILION
26034 N. Roberts Road
Port Barrington, IL (1 mile West of Route 59 on Roberts
Road - South side of street…

The response has been overwhelming for this upcoming picnic. The location has been secured. This beautiful and large facility on the Fox River is kept very clean, has modern indoor restroom facilities, many electrical outlets, BBQ grills and a fireplace.

Picnic tables and benches are provided at the grove…however, you are encouraged to bring lawn chairs or blankets (and a pop-up canopy if you wish).

There will be no fee to anyone for the picnic.

This will be a family-style picnic…bring your own food and drinks (liquor…IS allowed on the premises). All liquids must be in plastic or aluminum containers…no glass please. If you would like to barbecue, grills are provided at the pavilion, but you will need to bring your own charcoal.

Children, grandchildren, etc. are welcome. There will be organized games with prizes for kids and adults. We will provide any music (boombox). Performance commitments are The Classic Cavaliers and the Royal Airs Reunion Corps. (We are waiting for a few others to also make a commitment).

Hotel information for out-of-towners:
(block of rooms reserved for Saturday, August 21, 2010…rooms are also available for Friday, August 20, 2010)
Days Inn
405 W. Northwest Highway
Barrington, IL 60010
Reservations: 847-381-2640 (Block of rooms reserved for "Drum Corps Reunion" or (Adrianne Kaplan)
Rate: $59.95
Room includes microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker, and complimentary breakfast.

The hotel has an adjacent restaurant…Blue Heron Café and Bar, which can accommodate the "afterglow" session for socializing after the picnic. They are open until 1:00 am.

Drum corpsally yours,
Adrianne and Ken “Mouse”
847-395-8160
Adigirl48@sbcglobal.net
kflig@sbcglobal.net

What did you do in the Corps? percussion

REMINDER .... keep this date open on your calendar and plan to attend! . Chicago area all corps picnic and celebration!

Many Imperials alumni have been telling me that they plan to attend .. some even coming from great distances to be there!

Hopefully, we will have an area for our group to get together. But, do plan to mingle with your friends from other area corps too!

Maybe meet some NEW corps friends in the process.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would LOVE to be there! Unfortunately, it's too close to the start of school - and my new grandson's birth!

What did you do in the Corps? 1970-73; 78-79

What years were you a Corps member? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

Correction (again) there is something in the works for a Rifle exhibition.

Actually, we have nobody organizing this event from the Imperials corps, except Mouse (who helps on the area Team).

It would be GREAT to see a number of Imperials alumni joining the activities. I have heard of SOME Imperials alumni coming from out-of-state to attend.

Some ideas for possible action: (will need volunteers to do this)

1. Organize an IMPERIALS area at the picnic.. with signs, tables, etc.
2. T-Shirts for the occasion? We have an alumni source for low cost shirts.
3. Other ideas?

If you can help, or have ideas, give Mouse a shout at kflig@sbcglobal.net

REMINDER ... less than a month remains before this event.

try to get there .. this will be fun. We expect a number of Imperials to join the group. Plus many friends from other corps!

Check earlier posts on this thread for details about site, etc.

Re: ALL CORPS PICNIC AUGUST 21, 2010!!

Latest information .....

Saturday 8/21/10

11:00 am to 7:00 PM

Place: Fox River Forest Preserve

(1st Pavilion upon entering…on right) – LARGE PAVILION

26034 N. Roberts Road

Port Barrington, IL (1 mile West of Route 59 on Roberts
Road - South side of street)

COME RAIN OR SHINE… BRING YOUR MOSQUITO SPRAY!

A LARGE PAVILION AND AN EXTRA LARGE CANOPY WILL PROVIDE SHELTER FOR MANY!

This will be the final reminder for this enormously recognized reunion picnic.

Picnic tables and benches are provided at the grove…however, you are encouraged to bring lawn chairs or blankets (and a pop-up canopy if you wish). Electrical outlets, and a fireplace with a BBQ grill are also available (bring your own charcoal if you will be utilizing the grill).

There will be no fee to anyone for the picnic.

Please remember that this will be a family-style picnic…bring your own food and drinks (liquor…IS allowed on the premises). All liquids must be in plastic or aluminum containers…no glass please. Please no pets.

Children, grandchildren, etc. are welcome. There will be organized games with prizes for kids. We will provide any music (boombox). Performance commitments are The Classic Cavaliers (1:00 pm), The McHenry County Classic Drum Line (1:30 pm), and members from the current Royal Airs Reunion Corps (2:00 pm).

Please make sure to sign in at the Registration Table upon your arrival and pick up your name tag.

Hotel information for out-of-towners: (a block of rooms is reserved for Saturday, August 21, 2010…rooms are also available for Friday, August 20, 2010)

Days Inn
405 W. Northwest Highway
Barrington, IL 60010
Reservations: 847-381-2640 (Block of rooms reserved for "Drum Corps Reunion" or Adrianne Kaplan)
Rate: $59.95

Room includes microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker, and complimentary breakfast.

The hotel has an adjacent restaurant…Blue Heron Café and Bar, which can accommodate the "afterglow" session for socializing after the picnic. They are open until 1:00 am.

If you should have any questions, please contact your corps representative listed below.

Drum corpsally yours,

Adrianne and Ken “Mouse”
847-395-8160
Adigirl48@sbcglobal.net
kflig@sbcglobal.net

Will YOU be there? Show your names here ....

Dave and Ruth Borck will be there.

Wish I could be there,but I'm still working,and
working for the airlines its a 24/7 job,and
Saturday isn't one of my days off.It sounds like
its going to be a "Blast From The Past".Have fun
out there.

What did you do in the Corps? French horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963

Rich Biver ... sorry to hear you can't attend. Gosh, there have to be Biver's there. Not sure if Jerrie Biver will attend.

I'll be bringing my wife and two youngest. We've reserved a room. I wasn't sure I'd be able to, but it's happening. I'm hoping some from my era, mid '70's, will be there. Would some of you please chime in?

What did you do in the Corps? Snare

What years were you a Corps member? 1976-1979

I know Dave it would be nice to have someone from the
family there,I wish I could make some arrangements to
get over there,but at this point in time,it might be a
little to late,but I'll be thinking of everyone,and I'm looking forward to hearing all about it,and I'm
sure there will be lot's to talk about about.

What did you do in the Corps? French horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963

Many thanks to Ken (Mouse) and Adrianne for all their work on this picnic/ reunion.

Hope that many Imperials from all eras will attend!

Wow! What a great event! Ruth and I returned home about 5 PM ... we were just about "baked out" for the day.

Great turnout and many friends. The "motto" for the event was:
"Rivals on the field ... friends for life .. through drum corps" and the crowd showed that was very true. Alumni from all corps circulated, greeted each other, talked and socialized.

Performances by the Classic Cavaliers alumni corps and the McHenry County Classic Drum Line (organized by Royal Airs alumnus Steve Fagiano) were well received.

Will Koenig (Brass 1960s) brought a great video system for viewing DVDs and the crowd really enjoyed that! The RA Reunion corps from 2002 and the Cavaliers alumni corps from 2008(?) were shown, along with a great DVD of the Imperials from 1956-62. Thanks Will!

A GREAT (new) facility with a large pavilion, modern facilities and room to spread out.

Maybe Mouse can give us a total headcount later .. they did have a registration table.

Many thanks to Mouse and Adrianne and their helpers for their work on this event.

I am so glad everyone had a great time, but I am EXTREMELY jealous! Next time, don't schedule it for two days before school opens!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Gosh, Mouse and Adrianne told me that from their preliminary count, almost 400 corps alumni attended the picnic last weekend!

While I was there, I saw at least 18 Imperials alums there .. probably more were there that I missed too. Good to see them all.

This was a great success. Maybe next year we can do a more extensive IMPERIALS alumni gathering/ exhibit?

Yeah, it was a grea time, and a great turnout! But I somehow managed to miss you totally, Dave. Too bad, maybe next time.

Adrianne and Mouse, thanks, thanks, thanks! Let's start lining things up for next year!

- Z -

What did you do in the Corps? Snare

What years were you a Corps member? 70's

Yes, I am sure that I missed a bunch of Imperials. In fact, I also missed a number of friends from other corps too. :(

Have to do better next time

Mike - it was nice to meet you after seeing your posts on this site. A lot of us old guys never got the opportunity to meet the "next generation".

John, that is one of the reasons we try to participate in alumni gatherings! Hopefully, future events will make it even easier to meet Imperial alumni from all generations.

For example, ALL Imperial alumni should meet and talk with Wayne Mounsey (aka "Older Sarge") who marched in the corps from 1938 to 1950.

And, the 1950s and 1960s generations have a lot of interesting stories too. Finally, as you said, many of us from the 60s never had a lot of opportunity to meet the "later" generation.

Yes, meeting our old friends is GREAT. Meeting new friends is fun too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

What did you do in the Corps? Drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958- 63

NEXT YEAR!

Gosh, we had such fun this year .. with even more attending next year it would be great.

BUT! We will need help to organize that event, do planning and handle tasks at the site. Can't ask just a few people to do EVERYTHING!

Think about it and give Mouse a shout if you can plan to help next August!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

What did you do in the Corps? Drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958- 63

Mouse Fligelman has reported:

The picnic went way better than expected - MANY Imperials present, MANY more missing. Approx. 400 in attendance. All those Corps (the Vaquero group was a blast) under one roof. If you missed it, you really missed a good day! The demands to "do it again" are huge and it seems the most requested date is the 1st weekend after Labor day weekend, after DCA which occurs Labor Day weekend.

Plan ahead for next year!

AND, if you can help with the event or have ideas, give Mouse a call. 847-395-8160.

----------------------------------------------------------