Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WINTER!

As we midwesterners suffer through cold, snow, storms and ice .. we wish all of our Southern and Western friends a good winter too.

When WE have 4 inches of snow and temps around 20 degrees, they complain when the temps are in the lower 50s.. maybe even near freezing at night! Gosh!

Best wishes to all for a great winter and 2010.!

Re: WINTER!

A wise tenor drummer (Lee Davis) always referred to the cold weather as "brisk". That term stuck with me and I still use it.

What did you do in the Corps? drum

What years were you a Corps member? 61-69

Gee, Dave, I wonder who you're talking about?

Yes, my once tough Northern blood has been thinned through 17 years in Georgia and 13 here in Florida. I'm freezing along with my wife today - it's currently 42 degrees here, only going into the low 50s today, and down to 33 tonight! And it's supposed to stay that way through most of the week. The only good part is it means I can wear sweaters when I return to school on Monday, which will help hide the 10 pounds I put on in the past two weeks!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Hey Bob I know what you mean!
I lived in sunny San Diego for about 6 Years and in Tn. and Mississippi for a few before coming back to the Chicagoland area. Have been living in Wisconsin now for almost 19 years.

What did you do in the Corps? Drumline

What years were you a Corps member? 73-75 Cadets; 76-78 'A' Corps

Hey, Jim! So, does the blood thicken back up when you return North?

By the way everyone - it's 42 degrees right now...

42 degrees! In Illinois that would be looked on as a heat wave! It is 11 degrees here right now. "Brisk"

Walking into the Y this morning, saw a guy leisurely strolling from his car in shorts and a singlet in the 3°F weather. Maybe there is something to this mind over matter stuff.

What did you do in the Corps? Drummer

I'm sure I'll have students show up in shorts and t-shirts this morning too. What are their parents thinking? And here in Florida, there are no gymnasiums in elementary schools - just an outdoor pavilion.

Happy New Year everybody!

Bob,
So what's the weather like now? We sent you some nice weather for the start of the year.

What did you do in the Corps? Drums

What years were you a Corps member? 76 to 78 in cadets, 79 to 83 A corps.

Thanks a lot, Vince! Right now it's 32 degrees, wind chill 27. I think we set a new record low last night, and it's not supposed to warm up until next week.

It's just a reminder of why I don't live in Illinois anymore! But at least ours will be gone in a week. And it gives me a chance to wear all these sweaters that I bought in Georgia 20 years ago.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

So now Florida is experiencing cold weather. Bay Area is still holding at mid-50s to 60s. My son is helping to coach his old high school baseball team this spring and they started practice on Wednesday.

Was in Dallas Texas on Thursday and it was 28 degrees which is about like Orlando and a normal winter day in Minneapolis, Chicago or Milwaukee. Was supposed to be in Cleveland on Friday but meeting was cancelled because snow messed up the airlines so I flew back to San Francisco. Actually got to wear my leather trench coat and gloves in Dallas. Only time I get to wear the coat is on trips to east coast and mid-west in winter. I have to go to West Palm Beach the end of February and might get to take that coat and gloves on that trip as well.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone

What years were you a Corps member? 1959-1961 Cadets 1962-1966 Imperials

John,

I hope not! Surely it will be warmer by then. But we're very cold today (still in the 30s at 12:15pm). No snow, however, but a little sleet on the window this morning.

Well, I know that cold weather is tough on the citrus growers and other farmers ... and that is not good.

But, the REST of you can suffer just like we do!

Gee, thanks for that compassionate response, Dave!

yes, it was a "cold" response

But, I don't see anyone sending compassion to us frozen northerners!

a cold response, Dave said briskly...

What did you do in the Corps? Drummer

great response, John!

29 degrees this morning...

Ah, there is hope! Temperatures here are predicted in the upper 40's for the next few days, into next week. Goodbye snow!

It might take a bit longer for the folks out east to remove their snow.

As our beloved Ron Santo might say: Oh noooooooooooooo!
Here we go again!

Yep, another Chicago winter has begun in earnest. here is todays' weather ...

December 12, 2010 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago-area residents should get ready for blizzard like conditions, plummeting temperatures and dangerous windchills as a major winter storm grips the region.

A Winter Storm Warning is now in effect for the entire ABC7 viewing area.

Two to five inches of snow, winds gusting over 50 mph, and falling temperatures are in the forecast for Sunday afternoon and evening. According to ABC7 meteorologist Phil Schwarz up to a foot of snow could fall in Indiana, especially in Porter County.

Temperatures will drop into the teens Sunday and brisk winds will persist, creating dangerous wind chills of at least 10 to 20 below zero on Sunday night through Tuesday morning.

------------------------------------------------

This is not fun. And, all of us here in Chicago are totally envious of our Imperials friends who live in warmer areas!

But, we are tough and will survive! As our friend Lee Davis says .... the weather is a bit "brisk"!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

My Dad would have said it was "one-jacket cold." He never said what kind of jacket...

42 here this morning, with a wind chill of 33, which feels awful to us. Have to keep my little kiddies warm (and we don't have gymnasiums in Florida, so it's into a portable for PE today).

We are in for a major storm tomorrow--lotsa rain and high wind. What this usually means is that after a storm hits us a couple of days later in hits the midwest. So a lot of snow and nasty weather just in time to mess up Christmas travel.