Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WINTER SNOW

Gosh, who'd have thought that CHICAGO would be the least affected by winter storms?

Sure, we have had some days with 6" or even 10" of snow. We can easily handle that!

But, big storms in the East with 15" to 20" of snow. And in the South as well, where they are NOT prepared for it.

Even COLD (?) in Florida.

Go figure. Maybe we are in good shape here in Illinois?

Best wishes to all Imperials, wherever you are!

Re: WINTER SNOW

Just busy,and trying to get through this winter.I
don't know if it's me or I'm getting to that age,
that it is affecting me more.

One thing I would like to mention,at the services
that were held for my Mother,there were a lot of
Alumni mostly from my sister's years in Norwood,
which I haven't seen in years,and I mean years.
Also I talked to Wayne Mounsey,Tom Cushing and Joe
Priola,Joe wants everyone to know that he's still
around and say's Hi to everyone.

Tom Cushing wore his Norwood jacket underneath this
other jacket he had on,that one had some Drum Corps
patches on it,I didn't really didn't get a good look
at that one,but when he took that outer jacket off
and we seen the Norwood jacket,we all had a good
laugh from it.It was great.Also with all the Alumni
there if we had some instruments we could of played
a few tunes.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963

Oh great! It looks like the "Chicago good luck" we have had recently is about to end.

Major storm headed this way, packing an expected snowfall of 16-20 inches. Yikes!

Well, we have plenty of firewood in the bin, food is stockpiled in the freezer and the snowblower is ready to go. Maybe it will pass away from us?

-------------------------------------------------------

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958 -1963

75 degrees in Orlando today...

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Hey Bob...I could say a few things..but the Web-master will delete it!!!!

What did you do in the Corps? Guard 69 & 70

Bob,I think I'll keep that 75 degrees in mind the next time, unfortunately, Florida has a hurricane. I wish I still was working for PFE as I would load one of their refrigator cars with snow and have it delivered to you C.O.D.. Hope the shoulder is doing better and am glad you don't have to worry about shoveling snow. I'm turning red just thinking of the comments Jolyne might make if she could.

Jim's comments about "comments you can't make" reminds me of the story of the prison inmates who numbered all of their jokes.

Then, one inmate would yell a number and suddenly the place would roar with laughter.

WE could do that too .. make a numbered list of previously defined comments, then add the numbers to replies to people like Bob!

---------------------------------------------------------------

Just trying to keep everyone up to date on what I'm doing down here! We actually ran the AC last night as we unpacked our new patio furniture - and I'm not kidding. Sorry about that! Enjoy!

Bob, I don't think you have to be sorry about anything. I think our comments maybe sour grapes and especially when I looked out this morning to a very snowy scene. The blowing snow was unbelievable and though the snow in 1967 might have been heavier, I don't remember it being as ferocious. From the reports I have heard it appears your old hometown, Joliet, caught the brunt of the storm and is spending over six figures to clean it all up.

Enjoy the A/C and give our best to Shari. [Sorry I forgot personal messages are not allowed]

I flew to Indianapolis this past Sunday. Had a meeting Monday and flew to Chicago at about 5pm. They had an ice storm starting in Indy. Had an 8:30 pm flight back to San Francisco that didn't leave until about 11 pm (after 4 de-icings). We were the last west coast bound flight out. Dodged a bullet. Only time I can ever remember that I've been happy to leave Chicago.

At the time I left the storm didn't seem to be worse than 1979 (when city was crippled by two back to back storms in early January) and 1967 (27 inches in 24 hrs and the city was up and running the day after the storm.) It seems that cities like Chicago and other big midwest and north east cities aren't able to cope with these events as easily as they did 30 years ago.

Although I didn't get home til 3 am Tuesday morning, the flight wasn't that bad as United upgraded me to front of the plane and I was sitting next to legendary Blues musician Taj Mahal (Henry Fredericks) who is based in Berkeley CA. He was supposed to be doing a benefit with BB King in Chicago on Tuesday but the concert was cancelled. Interesting man.

I don't know why all the crowing about Florida. The whole place is a swamp that has high heat and humidity most of the year. It's flatter than central Illinois and except for the far north most of the place is only 10 to 20 feet above sea level. The Lake Michigan shore line is much more scenic than most of the east and gulf coast. If I had to chose between Illinois or Florida, I'd pick Illinois. Aside from a few lousy weather months in the winter the weather is nicer. Of course I don't have to make that choice as I have the good fortune to live in the San Francisco Bay Area.

What years were you a Corps member? 1959-1961 Cadets 1962-1966

I'll take Florida.

And I had forgotten about 79 - we even had classes cancelled at Northwestern that day!

classes were cancelled at NU yesterday

I knew we were in trouble that day when I looked out my dorm window - and the snow was completely blocking the view!