Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
SCARY SITUATION: RUTH BORCK

My wife Ruth went to Northwest Community Hospital on March 16 for a "routine" surgery and returned home on March 17. But, she began having abdominal pain and fever. Initial thought was an infection and she was treated for that. No improvement .

After several days, she went back to the hospital for tests. Was readmitted to the hospital for observation and on Tuesday 3/23 a second (exploratory) surgery was done. They drained blood from the first surgery and found an inflamed appendix! That was removed! That was a close call!

She spent two days in the Critical Care Unit and finally came home Saturday 3/27! It has been a long and hard 2 weeks for us .. especially for Ruth.

This is the kind of "stuff" that can happen.

Re: SCARY SITUATION: RUTH BORCK

Glad to hear Ruth is doing well and that you caught the problem in time.

At our age nothing seems routine!

What did you do in the Corps? drum

What years were you a Corps member? 60-69

Thanks, John.

Someone told me that "routine " surgery is that being done to someone else. MAJOR surgery is that being done on YOU!

TOO true. Before my back surgery, I told the surgeon I knew why they wore masks. He asked why. So I told him: I case someone makes a mistake I won't know who it was.

He told me they were taught never to say "Uh Oh" but to hum. So I should start to worry if I heard "HMMMMM".

Touche!

What did you do in the Corps? Drum

What years were you a Corps member? 60-69

Dave,

I hope she's continuing to improve. Please keep us posted!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare;Drum Major;Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73;78-79

Dave glad to here your wife is better.I know what
a drain it can be on you,when you have a scare like
like that.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963

Ruth is now recovering well. She is OK but still gets tired very easily.

We arranged to have a hospital bed here in the 1st floor family room, since she will be unable to go upstairs for a while. Also, a home health care nurse visits several times a week. Now, a bunch of follow up doctor visits!

She is "up and about" every day, takes naps when needed and has lost the pains from the surgeries. Lots of friends have visited, brought meals, called, etc. THAT helps a lot.

Great news, Dave! Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with her.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Ruth continues to recover. :)

She is "up and about" every day, takes naps when needed and has lost the pains from the surgeries. Lots of friends have visited, brought meals, called, etc. THAT helps a lot.

She goes for a short walk each day and does home chores (a bit). Mostly cooking. :)

She went to see her quilting friends on Wednesday (a friend drove her) and she drove to visit her bowling friends today at their weekly meet.

Still working on gaining strength. :)

Thankfully, we seem to be recovering from this scare. (Dodged a big bullet!)

Thanks to all for their concerns, calls and prayers!