Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DRUM CHARTS FROM THE "OLD DAYS"

It has been mentioned in some Forum posts and e-mails that it might be fun to gather some of the old drum charts .. and then meet with some of the drummers ... to try and PLAY these items again.

Well, even to SEE the charts would be fun.

I have some charts from the 1962-66 period here. Wayne Mounsey has some from the 1940s and early 50's. Maybe others are around too?

Would be interesting to review these. Maybe at the corps alumni picnic in August?

Re: DRUM CHARTS FROM THE "OLD DAYS"

Considering most of the guys couldn't read the charts anyway...

What did you do in the Corps? Snare;Drum Major;Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73;78-79

Bob! Too true. In fact, your note reminded me about the days when Frank Arsenault was our instructor. Frank was a great instructor and technician, but he couldn't write music at all. He often used Dick Brown to do the writing. But, if Frank DID write the chart .. he'd write out the sticking, play it for us and that was how we learned it. (I'll have to check and see if I have any of those notes here!)

There was a lot of singing of parts in those days. George Munzer was great at it!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare;Drum Major;Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73;78-79

Bub-ziddly-bub-ziddly-bub-ze-bub-ze-bub. (32 from 1963)

Need I say more? OK. Beaty-beaty-beaty-beaty.(Middleton '67)

Nuff said.

What did you do in the Corps? drum

What years were you a Corps member? 60-69

John, what a blast from the past!

Yes, that was very common!

Should it be BDBD not BEATY BEATY because it takes a little longer to say BEA as opposed to B? After all, the 16th notes are all the same value. Since we only sang it, it didn't matter.

Should we care at this point? Probably not.

What did you do in the Corps? Drum

What years were you a Corps member? 60-69

I have the snare parts from 1962 through 1967, I think. I wouuld love to get together and try to play 'em with you guys. I am just not sure I'll be able to come to the picnic. I would be happy to mail you the music regardless. Let me know....

What did you do in the Corps? Tenor drummer, Snare drummer

What years were you a Corps member? "B" Corps 1958 - 1962; "A" Corps 1963 - 1967

Don't forget "die zhuh dye zhuduh". George Munzer taught us "shave and a haircut, shut up and sit down."
Boston taught us "Boom ching boom ching!"

What did you do in the Corps? Tenor drummer, Snare drummer

What years were you a Corps member? "B" Corps 1958 - 1962; "A" Corps 1963 - 1967

I remember that George Munzer one! And it continued:

Shave and a haircut, shut up and sit down, hey ya dumb jerk, digadum blah.

Classic!

And I'd love to see those snare parts too.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Ya gotta smile when you read "Drumspeak" and then of course you HAVE to say it out loud. Too much fun!

Dave, don't know if adding another "button" on the website for scanned drum scores would be a possibility????

What did you do in the Corps? Drum

Great idea! Also score sheets/recap sheets (Dave must have some of those!).

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

John, yes "drumspeak" IS fun. And, when you see it you HAVE to say it!

I suspect that drummers have been doing this for centuries ... I know that Frank Arsenault and Dick Brown both used drumspeak on occasion. After all, the "words" are just audio representations of the SOUND of certain rudiments or patterns.

As for posting charts, I am not an expert but it would seem that the scanned charts would be treated as photos. We could create a photo grouping for charts .. just like the groupings by years or other categories in the Photo Album now. Size and readability might be issues though.

Actually (and sadly) I do NOT have old score sheets and recaps. That would be great. I may have one or two, but that would be it.