Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
History Repeating Itself?

Those of you who hate DCI will LOVE this one! Go to the DCI website, click on the Letter from the Executive Director for May 20 and read carefully. And be sure to click on the link to the Drum Corps World article. Unbelieveable!

It appears that DCI is now going to do to itself what they did to the VFW and Legion 40 years ago! Dave Borck first brought this to my attention, and my remark was exactly that - and the Drum Corps World letter says the same thing.

Corporate greed meets drum corps...

If this one doesn't get people back out here commenting, I don't know what will!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Re: History Repeating Itself?

Yep, history repeats itself! This is really a complete TAKEOVER of DCI by the seven top corps (they call themselves the G7 corps).

These corps will get more votes, more money, control over DCI and the rules. And, just like the earlier DCI takeovers .. the remaining corps went along with it!

What did you do in the Corps? percussion

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

BTW .. if you can stand reading through all the BS in these notices, you will see a definite focus on "working with bands" in various areas. Personally, I think this is "code" for .... merging with MBA.

But, maybe I am being paranoid!

Maybe working with bands is a requirement to keep the activity alive. After all, there are really no "off the street" kids like we were. With tryouts the norm, members need to know how to play and play well right from the get go. Working with bands maybe just like the good old days to raid members from corps that had developed their talent. In this case, the corps only rents them for the summer.

G7, Greedy 7 indeed...

What did you do in the Corps? Drum

What years were you a Corps member? 60-69

Well, John is right about tryouts being the norm for DCI corps. So, in that arena, working with bands (as a recruiting device) makes sense.

But, I think that John is WRONG when he says there are no "off the street" kids anymore. Just look at all the street kids in Chicago who need something positive to do. If they don't find something, the gangs and drugs find them!

The success of the South Shore Drill Team (south side of Chicago) shows that there is still a need and still a way to do it.

As I think I've said before, the activity has become so closely tied to college and high school bands. A lot of them look and sound like corps. I came across a video online of the University of Alabama Marching Band playing the Blue Devil's "When a Man Loves a Woman." I thought I was listening to the Blue Devils. So this latest development is not a surprise. Drum Corps was doomed when a corps like the Star of Indiana won DCI which was closely tied to Indiana University.

As for neighborhood kis, drill teams are a bit easier to do than drum corps where someone needs to teach a kid how to play an instrument. I could see some small towns maybe doing a parade corps but that would be rare. Kids are into too many other things (some good and some bad) these days.

Anyway if DCI is just seven corps, I'll still try to catch the Blue Devils and Santa Clara and any others when they appear in Northern California. Blue Devils were fantatic last year and this year they are going back to Stan Kenton stuff including "Laura". Only corps I recollect that played that song was Blessed Sacrament in 1964 and 1965.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone--Cadets 1959 through 1961 Imperials 1962 through 1966