Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1958 VFW NATIONALS, NEW YORK

1958 VFW- NEW YORK, NY

Major scores:
All contests held at Ebbetts Field, Brooklyn, NY
Junior prelims (16 corps competed):
1. Cavaliers 90.05
2. Blessed Sacrament 89.475
3. Holy Name Cadets 88.40
4. Belleville Black Knights 88.25
5. St. Kevin’s Emerald Knights 87.70
6. Norwood Park Imperials 87.10
7. Hyde Park (Boston) Crusaders 86.80
8. Madison Scouts 86.375
Note: Kilties were 14th

Junior Finals (10 corps):
1. Blessed Sacrament 88.40
2. Cavaliers 86.85
3. Holy Name Cadets 86.025
4. St. Kevin’s 85.625
5. Madison Scouts 84.25
6. Belleville Black Knights 84.175
7. Hyde Park Crusaders & Norwood Park Imperials 84.050
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
From Dave Borck
Going to the 1958 VFW Nationals in New York was also an experience:

1. That bus ride (before most of the interstate) was really long.

2. Saw all those great eastern corps ... we didn't see their style and hear their music often. In those days, Eastern Corps were really different. We were able to see the corps (and meet their members) at the (dreaded) inspection, held in Central Park; the prelims and finals, both at the famed Ebbetts Field in Brooklyn; and also, of course, the night parade.

3. This was the year that our drum quartet won the National Championship, and Tony DeMarco won the Individual Snare Championship. Beating the drummers of Blessed Sacrament!!
The Norwood Drum Quartet also won first place that year ... I believe that it was Tony on snare, Bill Strauts and Dick Stack on tenor, Hank Grana on rudimental bass.

4. Stayed in a downtown hotel (the Henry Hudson ...now a POSH place), took the NY transit to do tours, had a ball. Even ate in an AUTOMAT!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Rich Biver:
Our trip to 58' Nationals in New York had to be one of the best, like you said Dave, seeing the eastern corps together in Central Park for inspection, made me feel like I was in a different world.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More from Dave Borck:

Another highlight of the 1958 VFW Show was seeing the SENIOR corps. There were only two that year … Reilly Raiders (from Philadelphia) and the Princemen (from Boston). But, wow! Were they great. The Raiders featured an “Irish music” theme, with great brass and drums, and a spectacular field show. The Princemen were extremely military in their look with great brass and drums. Their music was more show tune based. Their version of “Sweet Georgia Brown” took down the house!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Dave Borck:

Talking about the St. Vincent's Cadets reminded me that, when we attended the 1958 VFW National in New York, we went to a practice field out along the Harbor. This was the field St. Vinnies used for their drill practices. The park overlooked the Statue of Liberty.

When we completed our drill practice, we went to St. Vinnies hall (church?) to attend their music practice. They were very good and very typical of the "eastern" corps style. At that time, we got along well with them.

What did you do in the Corps? percussion

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Re: 1958 VFW NATIONALS, NEW YORK

Some of the corps rep for 1958

Chicago * Someday & Mounties * Persian Market * Lida Rose * Goodnight My Someone (from The Music Man) * 76 Trombones (from The Music Man) * Daybreak * I'll see you in my dreams

What did you do in the Corps? percussion

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63