Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What is this thing called Drum Corp?

I went to the Oswego show last night, thank God the tickets were free!!!
I don't know what I watched but it wasn't a Drum and Bugle Corp competition. How can it be a competition when there are only 3 judges and they are up in the box. They just sit there and give their opinions. No disrespect to former Imperials Chops and Marie Czapinski, who were 2 of the judges. During all the smaller corps, or as a former member called them "non World Class Corps". All the other World Class corps were warming up so loudly that I was surprised nobody stopped the show.
There is no need for electric guitar and pianos, up to 12 xylaphones, synthesizers and sound engineers. I don't need to here the corp prayer for the Pioneer during their performance. No one even marches anymore. They all zig zag or walk very fast side ways and forward and back.

The Cavaliers have a large horn section but their show belongs on Broadway with other shows people don't understand. That was the worst usage of the song "Smile" that I have ever heard or seen.
I have to go right now but I will be back with more of my impression of what this thing called Drum Corp is.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone and Drum Major

What years were you a Corps member? 1968-1972

Re: What is this thing called Drum Corp?

well, whatever it IS .... it is DIFFERENT!

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

I'm back. Thank God the Madison Scouts had a relatively drum corp like show. They did a great job with music that people have actually heard before. But they did it before and without all the extra crap that is sitting on the sidelines. And do they really need 20 Contras. Now they are called Tubas.
It was nice to see that Racine Scouts are trying to field a corp. They had as many horns as drums and only three in the guard. Speaking of guards, there is no such thing anymore. These people are just dancers and acrobats that should be on a stage rather than a football field. It just makes me feel good that I had the chance to MARCH with a real drum corp and not what is on the field these days.

well, it is clear that Steve prefers TRADITIONAL drum corps!
Where the corps actually march, avoid all the unnecessary sideline stuff and electronics; and use a color guard (not dancers). But, those days are (mostly) gone.

But, the people currently marching actually LIKE the drum corps they now have. It is THEIR version of drum corps.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would imagine most of us out here prefer old-time drum corps. But it's different than in the 60's and 70's - back then, the alumni might not have liked the changes (multiple tenors, timpani, different bugles), but it still resembled drum corps. Today it doesn't. They don't even call the instruments by the same names (as Steve points out). In almost every way, it is a band. And the new rule about "illegal" instruments in the "pre-show" is Hopkins finally finding a way to get them in. The next step is to include them in the "competition" part of the show. That will be much easier now that they have arrived in some form.

I'm with you, Steve - whatever it is, it isn't drum corps!

What did you do in the Corps? 1970-73; 78-79

What years were you a Corps member? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

2 things, they aren't bands because they don't march, and at what point does the show start. One warm up was going on when the announcer asked if they were ready. The drum major saluted and they just kept continuing, the song went on for anther 2 minutes.

And they thought our bugler in the back stands was controversial. I just don't get it.

One question for you, Steve - in the entire evening that you saw, was there a single recognizable melody? I don't even necessarily mean one you had heard before. I mean even one you could identify as a tune? I can't remember the last time I heard something from a drum corps that I could walk out of the stadium whistling.

What did you do in the Corps? 1970-73; 78-79

What years were you a Corps member? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

No, because they only use parts of songs. When Madison did Slaughter I recognized some parts, but they only throw those in so they can say it is their version. Like I said before, Cavies version of Smile was only the first verse, after that it was whatever they wanted to change it to.
The shows are so strange that when corps would come forward in a straight line, no one clapped or cheered. The audience doesn't know when to cheer. There were some decent solos and no one clapped. Even when they finished songs people weren't sure if they should applaud or not. I think that the music and performance are so strange that older alumni and older followers have no idea what is going on out on the field.

I didn't catch the show at Stanford this year because of my travel schedule. I did catch the Blue Devils and Santa Clara at the family night exibition a few weeks earlier. Seems to me that like most years the Blue Devils still play recognizable music. They've reprised variations of their earlier Stan Kenton music from the 70s and 80s and added Stan Kenton's version of Laura. Downey's version seems faithful to arrangement. Funny the last few years they've been doing this. Last year's Happy Days are Here Again was a reprise from about twenty years ago as well as Kenton's Cuban Fire Suite and Channel One Suite which goes back to 1976.

The Vanguard are playing pretty esoteric classical stuff. When their one it would be a good opportunity to go visit the hot dog stand or use the facilities.

Seems that the Blue Devils, Carolina and the Kadets are all scoing between 82 to 84 at this point in the season.

Received this note from Alumnus Jake Sommers, who attended a recent DCI show in California:

Last night about 25 of us (Imperials alumni) went to see a DCI Show in Walnut, CA. The show included the Vanguard and Blue Devils and a number of second tier Corps. The Blue Devils had a unique drill that included a series of mirrors. Both were good, as usual, but I was not that impressed. I think the pendulum is now swinging to the Midwest and East for 2010.

------------------------------------------------------

MY (Dave B) question: MIRRORS?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Don't know if the Midwest has a chance. Maybe Carolina. Didn't know we had an alumni group in SoCal. Walnut is near Pomona East of LA and close to border of Riverside and LA County.

Got to remember that in this marching band era the drills aren't a drill anymore. So marching precision doesn't count.

My money's still on the Blue Devils.

Went to the Cavies show last night. Once again it rained, but this time they made use of it. Before the show started a restaurant 2 blocks away caught fire, no one was hurt but at least the rain helped put out the fire.
So after 2 1/2 corps did their show it started to lightening and they moved everyone into a large gym and had people sit on the floor and listen to the rest of the corps. I feel sorry for those people that paid $30 for a seat on the gym floor. I think the Cavies should give up on having a show.

I also attended the Cavi show last night with my brother Chris. My first drum corp show in 6 or 7 years and probably my last for another 6 or 7 years as the sight of a uniformed member playing a keyboard with a laptop on it is now permanently scorched into my brain.

The highlights for me all took place before the show in driving/walking to the stadium. As I pulled off of the highway we caught up to the Carolina Crown caravan. I love seeing drum corp caravans and was always bummed that we never had our own Imperial busses (although we did have a great equipment truck). The Crown caravan was enormous and contained the biggest and newest set of buses and semis I have ever seen. That corp must have some big money behind it. We parked and on the way to the stadium were treated to a couple of corps warming up. I gotta say I still love watching a drum line warm-up and still want to be a drummer. Did catch the Pioneer’s horn line tuning up and although pretty cool not nearly as fun to watch as a drum line. We also passed an all male color guard squad warming up which was both amusing and disturbing at the same time.

Since the show was delayed for an hour we browsed through the souvenir booths, bought a poncho and then headed into the show. Right in the middle of the Pioneers show while they were still playing, the announcer came on and announced that the show needed to stop immediately due to impending bad weather and that everyone should immediately head into the building next store. It was a pretty amazing sight to see as the Pioneers kept on playing and officials had to convince the drum major to stop the show. Never saw anything like it before.

On the way to the indoor field house where they were going to hold a standstill in place of the show, we passed a corp’s percussion section wheeling their equipment from their trucks to the stadium unaware of the change in plans. I couldn’t believe how much equipment they had. At least 10 sets of bells (or whatever you call them. How many fricken bells do they need?), giant bass drums on wheels, gongs, pipes, you name it. The cost and expense of these items must be incredible not to mention the logistics of moving all that stuff around.

They held the standstill in a brand new field house that was perfect for the event. The Pioneer put on a pretty good show but the whole thing with the dancing bell players, a uniformed guy sitting down playing a drum kit with another guy playing a keyboard with a laptop attached to it was too distracting. We really liked The Spirit (of Atlanta?) show. No bells, keyboards, dancers or guitars. Just old fashioned horn playing, drumming and a synchronized cymbal section that killed.

The Classic Cavaliers performed next. They were much smaller in size (number of marching members rather than physical size) than I had expected and did a decent job. They played the same opener we played when I marched with them in 79 which was kinda cool to hear again. We searched for our old friend Danny Noel but didn’t see him which was strange because I knew ahead of time he was going to be there. After they performed I asked one of the members where he was and he said “yea, where the hell is he, he missed the show”. I turn around and there he was walking into the field house with horn and in uniform. In classic Danny Noel style he had taken off to get something thinking that all of the corps were going to play in the gym and not realizing that only a handful of the scheduled corps were going to stick around and had just missed his show. I remember him doing a very similar in ‘79 which resulted in him being banished from the Cavi busses to the equipment truck for the rest of the tour. And as in 79 he laughed it off and did not stress over it.

Cavi’s played next. They looked great but nothing in their show really stood out. Thankfully, their guard took the night off.

In the end I was glad I went and got the chance to see our old friend’s Dan and Jan (Warren) and meet their daughters one of whom is now marching with The Pioneer. Also talked to Jim Baron (looks exactly the same) and good old Don Warren. And in a way I think it was better that the show was changed to an in-door stand still as we were spared most of the dancing, jumping, and theatrics that has taken hold in drum corp.

Sorry about the length of this report. Will file my next review in 6 or 7 years.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone

What years were you a Corps member? 70's

Peter, thanks for the report. Your observations and impressions give a great "flavor"of what is going on.

Yes, it takes a LOT of money to run a big DCI touring corps.

I also wonder why they think they need all the sideline percussion stuff...it is just a distraction. And the "dancing and prancing" too.
------------------------------

Sounds like "Somebody" is telling the Cavaliers to NOT run a drum corps show! At least this year the rained out fans got SOMETHING for their money ... last year: no show, no refund, nothing!

Dave - I think I heard last night that the field house they ended up playing in was not there last year so they did not have an alternative for the previous years’ rainouts. And I'm pretty certain that refunds are neither financially or logistically feasible (even for the Cavaliers.)

They definitely won't be able to financially next year if they don't place high at the championship. Rosemont will cut back on what they get from the city if they don't place very high. So maybe not as many trips next year either.

Pete,

Great review! You still have your sense of humor. And you hit everything on the head. Loved the comment about the guard warming up!

And I think Spirit is actually from Alabama now, but yes, it is the same organization (at least speaking evolutionally - is that a word?).

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Yes, Peter's comments & observations were great.

Yes, Spirit is now "from" Jacksonville, Alabama ...Jacksonville State University. That is just across the border from Georgia and is about 50 miles from Atlanta. The corps mailing address is still in Atlanta.

Re: "evolutionally". Gosh, Bob. YOU are the teacher .. a PRINCIPAL even. You should know. (I think it is probably OK).

Great review Pete. I haven't been to a show in 20 years but was contemplating going to this one. Fortunately my son's baseball tournament kept that from happening. Based on what you wrote I might want to wait another 20 years before I contemplate this again!

What did you do in the Corps? Soprano

What years were you a Corps member? 1974-1979, 1981

Jim and others:

Despite my harsh critique of what they now call drum corp I would still encourage everyone to check it out. The buzz around the stadium, the warm-ups, the pageantry and a lot of other little things brought back a lot of great memories with some even sending chills down my spine. Not to mention running into old friends.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone, cause trouble

Bob:

Could it be possible that Spirit goes old school and does not have a percusion pit or could it be that they gave them the night off for the stand still?

They played a great version of Georgia and if you do see them check out the choreography and synchronization of their cymbal section.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone, cause trouble

I'm sure you're right Pete about the buzz about the stadium and watching the corps warm up. It brought back great memories just reading what you had to say. I just don't know if my heart can take the performances(?). Maybe I should ease into the idea by dropping by a show someday just to watch the corps getting ready. You sure can't beat the price.

What did you do in the Corps? Soprano

What years were you a Corps member? 1974-1979, 1981

I LIKE Jim's plan!

You can meet old friends, watch warmups, feel the "buzz" and SAVE the $30 per ticket cost. Also, avoid watching the "new" corps style.

I was at a show last weekend. The highlight for me was walking through the parking lot. Brought back a lot of sounds and bus smells that I grew up with.

I go to a show about once a year. Drum Corps does change pretty quick when you're not involved. But I can't stay away from it. I spent my entire life being involved in some capacity until about 10 years ago. Now I mostly read about it on the DCI website, same as do with Da Bears.

Great post Pete.

What did you do in the Corps? Brass

What years were you a Corps member? 1972-1981

Joe - great to see you out here! And you beat me to the comment about the diesel smells - THAT never changes! But I get that every day at school...

Pete - I'm sure Spirit uses a pit, if they have any hopes of making finals at some point. And it's rare to even see a cymbal line on the field anymore - they're mostly in the pits too (pun intended). And, about that "great" Imperials truck - I must have missed that year...

The diesel smell is very nostalgic. Everyone I know that is not familiar with corps thinks I'm nuts.

As far as cymbal lines, Santa Clara's is great this year.

The White Whale wasn't the best truck in the known drum corps world, but it had more personality then most people I know.

Was personality really what we were looking for in an equipment truck?!

And SCV is one corps that has always had a great cymbal line, and continues to march them on the field.

Amen on the equipment truck Joe. I loved that thing and remember vividly the first time I got to walk through it. While the Cavi truck was much bigger, probably better to operate and a lot safer, I never got the same feel as I did when I walked through the White Whale. The cockpit on that thing was pretty cool also – but then again, I never had to drive it or service it.

FYI – The Village of Skokie still has a book mobile in operation that reminds me a lot of the old truck.

The White Whale was not the best truck by any means. But it was a big part of my past with Imperials. It was pretty impressive the first time I got to walk through it. Of course that was after marching in the cadets with no truck, so I'm sure Pete and I were pretty impressed early teenagers. It was like a first love...not a good as you remember.

The Cadets DID have a truck, at least in 1971-72 - my Dad's red Ford Econoline van! He even put racks in it for the uniforms.

And all of you with fond memories of the White Whale never had to ride home from a show in it, like Steve and I did so many times in 1972-73. It was horrible! You were always afraid the instruments would fall off the shelves on top of you because it rocked so bad, and the fumes from the engine were toxic (Mom always blamed it for her getting sick). I couldn't believe it was still running - let alone that the corps was still using it - when I returned in 78-79.

Peter mentioned that the Skokie Library has a "bookmobile" which looks like the White Whale. That is probably the perfect use for a vehicle like that .. local use on side streets mostly. Good capacity but not for heavy stuff. Highway travel not needed.

I was always amazed that the Imperials took the Whale on the highways.. it was definitely NOT safe.

Pete [sorry Peter, old habits tie hard] is absolutely right about the Skokie Bookmobile being as close to the White Whale as anyone is likely to see. It has one major difference that anyone who ever rode the Whale would have greatly appreciated, it's air conditioned. I agree with Bob about the perils and discomforts of riding the Whale, but there didn't seem to be alot of alternatives unless not purchasing new drums, uniforms, etc. were feasible, It really came down to a matter of priorities, There is no question that the Whale was unique enough to let anyone know that the Imperials were present without being close enough to see the logos or read the name. It certainly was an anomally in that it was a curse and a godsend at the same time. Bob, if you search you memory, I think you will recall that we did not take the Whale on tour in 1979, but rather loaded everything under the coaches except the stand because it would't fit. [It seems I remember one of the drum majors being very upset about it.] I

Joe, good to hear from you. I think if you remember the cadets did have a truck in 1975 that belonged to Mr. Littlefield. He, with some cadet members, painted with the cadet name on it and the paint lasted for a couple of weeks, until a good rain washed it all off. Seems that someone bought the wrong kind of paint.

JIm

Jim,

I honestly didn't remember leaving the Whale at home in 79. And you must be talking about Judy - she complained a lot...