Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Things Getting Interesting

Bluecoats beat Carolina Crown, and Blue Knights beat Santa Clara - and that HAS to be the first time that has EVER happened! Scores are tight everywhere.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Re: Things Getting Interesting

WOW .. must be a solar eclipse coming!

Looks like the year of BLUE .... Blue Devils, Blue Coats, Blue Knights. Remember "the BIG BLUE in '62?" That was the Royal Airs.

This could become a very interesting year for DCI. (Could also be the LAST year for DCI).

Based on tonight's DCI scores. Carolina at 86.45 topped the Bluecoars by 0.1. But the big deal was in Denver were the Blue Devils scored 88.00 which was 2.3 points higher than Garfield. Santa Clara came in higher than the Blue Knights. So things are interesting yes, but can anyone catch up to the Blue Devils.

That 88.00 seems large score for this time of the year. We'll have to wait until next Saturday for the first time Carolina, the Bluecoats and Blue Devils compete.

Wow! 88 on July 10th.

They'll probably score 110 at DCI in Indy!

I marched 11 years and never got a 90. An 88 in July? But that is a large gap for Devs.

And by current placings, Cavaliers would be 7th and Phantom 8th - that's one G7 corps barely in the top seven and another out. Maybe they spoke too soon?

and suddenly the G7 becomes the G5?

It seems more like the G1 at this point in the season.

Maybe they will be like the Pontiac G series... all gone...

What did you do in the Corps? Drum

What years were you a Corps member? 60-69

As it happens, the primary driver behind the "G7" proposal was David Gibbs, the Director of the BLUE DEVILS!

Hopkins of the Cadets did a lot of presentation materials.

This whole situation is very much "up in the air". Personally, I'd love to see DCI fold and force drum corps to get back to reality.

Dave, I think most of us old timers agree with you. But I bet if DCI folded, the activity would add more instruments - sooner than later. I think "the new breed" would never return to the thrilling days of yesteryear. Things have to change to keep them fresh. Today's youth is "video game based". The new game release changes the rules to make the game more (fill in the blank) exciting, difficult, blah, blah, blah. Drum corps did the same when DCI abandoned the rigid VFW/AL rules.

John,

Great analogy! And exactly why drum corps will never "go back" to what it once was.

John and Bob are both right! AND, you can never really "go back".

But, I'd still like to see some return to more basic drum corps ...
community level membership, local shows (skip the expensive touring), get rid of the unnecessary sideline percussion stuff, play music normal people recognize and enjoy.

I guess that is too much to ask.