Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Your First Show

Do you remember your very first show? Mine was 40 years ago this past weekend, July 10, 1970, with the Imperial Cadets. We were the exhibition corps at the North American Nationals in Illinois. The show featured the Troopers, Garfield, Kilties, Vanguard (Des Plaines), Argonne Rebels, Velvet Knights (California) - most of the "heavies" of the day, other than the Cavaliers. The Troopers won everything, except horns (nobody was beating Argonne's hornline at that time). It was quite an eye-opening experience for us little kids (I was one of the older ones, at 11 years old!).

I don't remember being nervous - probably too young to realize the enormity of those corps and the importance of that show. I do remember on the starting line Bob Briske, who was the announcer that night, saying "this corps will never win a national championship" and being upset by that. I know now what he meant, and that it was a compliment of sorts (we exsisted to feed into the Imperials, keep drum corps going, etc.), but at 11 years old I did't get that part.

I still have a tape of that show, by the way. The crowd was great! As an elementary school administrator, it amazes me what we were able to produce at that age! Today's kids wouldn't even stand outside that long to rehearse!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Re: Your First Show

My first show was 1972 VFW state prelims at Elk Grove high school. The show was held in the parking lot because it had rained really hard and the field was soaked.

My first corps show that I ever attended, I can't say. My first memories of life were climbing on drum cases at some armory when my dad was teaching Niesi.

What did you do in the Corps? Brass

What years were you a Corps member? 1972-1981

Gosh, a great question!

I joined the Imperials in early 1958 as a very green drummer .... so I wasn't ready to march as a playing member in contests that summer. When I did march in contests, it was as a "plug" .. a non playing member to fill a drill spot.

I suppose that corps don't do that anymore.

That was easy, since the Imperials had only 2 snare drummers that year and there was a "hole" to be filled. So, that is where I marched.

The main memory I have of marching that year was in the 1958 VFW Nationals in New York. Gosh, that was fun .. seeing all the BIG corps and that great stadium.

My first contest as a playing member was a standstill in Bensenville in January of 1959. That was fun.

My first performance was in a parade in April of 1970 - I had to wear a number pinned to my right arm to identify the group (whose idea was that?)! It was in downtown Chicago.

And I remember the first parade in 1971, because we had new uniforms and we were all excited - no more faded yellow shirts with the maroon cuffs bled halfway down the sleeves!

My first show was in September 1959 with the Cadets at Grayslake (somewhere in Lake County). That was the first time the Cadets competed in a contest. We'd been learning a drill all summer long.

The show included the Scarlet Knights, Viscounts and probably some of the smaller corps from Wisconsin. I think the Scarlet Knights sponsored the show. Seem to recollect they might have won as they were SAL state champs. SAL was an American Legion category which mean that the members were kids whose parents were members of the American Legion.

Expect that Bob Minor, Gary Wigman, Bill Schlenker and Vicki Pennington might remember that show as well.

Most significant memory is that it was cold and we wore short sleeved golf shirts (there is a picture from a parade in 1959 in the photo section that shows those shirts).

In subsequent years the Cadets always had a drill with Joan Briske as the instruction from 1960 onward. Recollect that we only competed in American Legion State in Chicago and the Amvets State contest in 1961 (our national Championship was a parade competition).

My first show with the Imperials was Mt. Prospect in 1962. I think it was in early June. We won that show with the Royal Airs in second place (Cavaliers were in the east competing in the Preview of Champions). We didn't beat the Royal Airs again until 1966.

John,

A couple of interesting things in your post. I never knew the Cadets National Championship was in a parade! Still cool, though.

Joan Briske was still doing drill and color guard with the Cadets when I joined in 1970. We usually did AL and VFW State, and the old Illinois Association Championship at the end of the summer. We would also do several exhibitions during the summer, like the one I mentioned to start this post.

Bob,

Joan Briske started in 1960 and I was aware that she continued instructing the Cadets for a long time. I don't remember if she had any children who were in the Cadets. Seem to remember a son but he was too young for the Cadets in the seasons I was with them (1959 through 1961). Joan was not the drill instructor in 1959. The man's first name was Jerry--don't recollect his last name.

In 1961 the AMVETS state championship was held in Springfield IL at the same stadium used for VFW state in 1962 and 1964. Our main competition was Custer's Brigade from Lake County. At the AMVETS national convention in Louisville Ky we did a little drill infront of the reviewing stand. As I recollect, Custer's Brigade was our main competition there as well.

Looking back that trip was a big deal for the kids as we got to go somewhere other than Chicago for a parade. Just like the Imperials who were going to Denver later in September for American Legion Nationals. The kids who were in the Cadets in 1961 provided the core group who marched in the Imperials in 1965 and 1966.

Did anyone elso notice that Dave was a "green" drummer? A Cavalier in a previous life? Ok since Norwood started before them maybe...

What did you do in the Corps? Drum

What years were you a Corps member? 60-69

Did I say "green"?

That was clearly a slip of the tongue!

My first real show was with Vanguard in 1970 at Kenosha, it was late April or early May. I remember the the practice before the show was the best show we put on the whole year. I guessed we peeked early some Cavies were afraid we were going to be hot that year. That was until the show itself where it was cold and snowing and we totally sucked. My first NP show was July 73. I left Vanguard in Lexington, Ky and joined NP, the first show was on a dirt race track. Maybe West Allis or could of been Springfield. I was probably stumbling around trying to remember a full show with only a few weeks practice,but being a professional lol nobody complained so I must of pulled it off.

Greg,

Had to have been Springfield, as I don't remember any other dirt race tracks. If that's the case, it was late in the year. We won that show (over Guardsmen), then went to New Orleans for VFW Nationals.

My last show was at Legion Field in Birmingham, Alabama, 1979 DCI Finals. It was pretty exciting but it was time to move on to college and work.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone

Pete,

Did you age out in 79?

No, was still a youngster (17) but had just graduated high school and was heading off to college. Had to work summers to help pay for school and while I still enjoyed the marching and some aspects of the corp life, I wasn't talented enough or passionate enough about it to make the commitment that was required at that level.

What did you do in the Corps? Bari

Bob I think your right I started in late July, but there was a muddy race track in West Allis Wi. Didn't like the place it wasn't wide enough.

Peter, I completely and totally disagree concerning talent. In the matter of passion I am not sure, but I tend to disagree and think other things became more important priorities in you life than drum corps.

More important than drum corps?! At 17 years old?! Not a chance...

Joe Snyder
My first show was 1972 VFW state prelims at Elk Grove high school. The show was held in the parking lot because it had rained really hard and the field was soaked.

My first corps show that I ever attended, I can't say. My first memories of life were climbing on drum cases at some armory when my dad was teaching Niesi.

I remember being at that show Joe!

And much like my brother, I don't remember the first one I attend, but I do remember Belleville looked like they were 8 feet tall with those helmets! Some of my first memories in life were of drum corps.

My first show was Appleton WI in the Cadets at age 10.

What years were you a Corps member? 76-83