Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Your Last Show

Since Bob Shreffler started a string for comments from each of us on our first show. I thought I'd start one on the last show.

I didn't age out of Norwood so I didn't get a "black plume" which was the tradition (at least from 1962 through 1966) for members who were marching their last show. That occurred at the last show of the year which was usually in September in Maywood IL or Rockford.

My last show was actually an exhibition standstill at the Civic Opera House in Chicago in the spring of 1967. I hadn't been to many practices because of classes at Northwestern and didn't really know the music. Kind of strange trying to play music one hadn't memorized.

A week later I was at a drill practice and had the same experience. So I decided that was it. With school, other interests, and the fact that some of my close friends had aged out; I decided it was over. Had two more seasons of eligibility. I recollect that when I turned my horn in at the next practice, Mr Lesk tried to talk me into staying and I got a calls from a couple of the members, but I had other priorities and I stuck with my decision.

So no "black plume." But a lot of good memories and friends.

Re: Your Last Show

Good idea John!

It was good to note that your LAST show doesn't necessarily mean that you have aged out!

But, in both cases there are a lot of emotions. Mostly, sadness that you will no longer march with the corps. Sometimes, relief (lots of reasons for that). Sometimes, just time to go on to something else.

In my case, I aged out at Maywood .. black plume and all. It was sad, but also inevitable! Time to move on .. but I also stayed with the corps as an instructor and with management for a time.

Don't know if I felt any sadness. It was over just like graduating from grade school, high school, college, or even leaving a job. Getting on with the next phase of one's life is maybe a better description.

My last show as an Imperial was in 1981. I didn't age out, but I had graduated high school and started working. The show was at Calumet park and I remember that it was pouring rain.

I joined the Vanguard senior corps about 5 years later and marched until they folded, then spent 2 years marching with the Govornaires in Minnesota. Then I realized I was getting too old to carry a Contra Bass. I'm not sure where my last show was, but we didn't go to DCA. It might have been DCM at Dekalb.

What did you do in the Corps? Brass

What years were you a Corps member? 72-81

My last show was 1980 DCI Finals in Birmingham, Alabama with Spirit of Atlanta. I had marched since 1970, and nobody in Spirit was even close to that (they didn't even form until 1977), so I was really the old guy of the corps. In fact, Spirit kept my birth certificate at the front of the file because so many people had recognized me during the summer from my Cavalier days, but hadn't seen me in a few years, that I was challenged on a regular basis!

Anyway, we had a tough summer (management and money problems, losing Jim Ott in the middle of the season), and hadn't done as well competitively as hoped (although it was still by far the best corps I had ever marched with). We were in seventh place just a week before finals in Allentown, PA. We buckled down, took third in prelims, and were primed for finals. I knew I was in a top corps when I was watching finals on TV - live - at the school we were staying at while I shined my shoes for our performance later that evening.

Our show was fantastic - especially the drum show, resulting in Rodney Goodheart writing "This was the best I've ever heard" on his sheet. We ended up in fourth, but tying for first in drums with Bridgemen - still disappointing, considering our pre-season expectations and the show we had performed that night.

What I mostly remember is being relieved that it was over, which surprised me. I always figured they would have to physically tear my uniform off at my last show, after doing it for so long, but I couldn't wait to get it off (unfortunately, because our jackets zipped in the back, I COULDN'T get it off! You needed a helper).

Like John said, I guess it was just time to move on, and on some level I knew that. And I guess that's a good thing. But the best part is that my last show was by far the best I ever performed, and I would guess not everyone can say that.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79