Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DCI CORPS TOURING

Just an aside ...

have you looked at the touring schedules of the DCI corps lately? They are ALL OVER the country!. Just look at any corps schedule on www.dci.org.

Gosh, what a strange way to spend a summer. Of course, they all do it because they want to!

This is a very expensive way to do drum corps. Back in the "early days" of DCI, they had TWO shorter tour periods in a season. Seemed to work a lot better (IMHO).

Re: DCI CORPS TOURING

I did the full-summer tour schedule in 1980 in Spirit, and it was a blast! But I don't think I could have done it for all ten years that I marched.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

As I said, they (the members) do it because they like it!

But, it is a very expensive way to run an activity. Doesn't have to be so "grand".

There really isn't much choice anymore. There aren't enough corps in any one area for them to stay put for any length of time - at least not many competitive ones, in the DCI sense. The whole activity now is what it always was for corps like the Troopers or Spirit of Atlanta - isolated on an island and having to tour all the time to compete.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

I have a very good friend that is the tour director for the Cadets the past couple years. When he tells me about the scheduling that is involved for the summer I am amazed! He loses many hours of sleep making sure they are where they need to be and what happens when housing falls through, or a bus breaks down, etc. I am amazed even more at the people that volunteer to help out these corps. The drivers, cook staff, and administration are constantly on the go making sure the kids are getting all they need for their health and well being.

There are still some corps that do the 2 small tours. (Jersey Surf being one of them) My friends that teach there have about a week at home mid summer to do laundry, see people and then head back out. It makes me glad that I'm on the weekend only drum corps team, and even then, I've cut down my days this year.

What years were you a Corps member? 76-83

Mary ... thanks for that great post! Tell us more.

The people who support the touring corps ... mostly made up of people from "all over" ... why do they do this?

What about the corps who do "smaller tours"?