Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Blue?

There will be four corps in finals this year with the word "Blue" in their name (Devils, Coats, Stars, Knights). And, if things stay as they are now, the top two will be Blue. If the Bluecoats manage to close the gap on the Blue Devils between now and then, can you imagine the tension when second place is announced?

There were two Vanguards in 1972 (Santa Clara and Des Plaines). And in the 50's and 60's there were probably hundreds of "Cadets". Can anyone else remember multiple names like this?

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Re: Blue?

Yep, there must have been HUNDREDS of "Cadets".

Lots of KNIGHTS too ... Black, Golden, Emerald, Blue, Purple, etc.

Norwood Park and Norwood Debonaires (girls corps). Although I don't ever remember competing against them.

I find it interesting that all of those Corps names with multiple use would be mentioned without including the one we know best.

According to corpsreps.com (slightly modified):

Junior Corps - 10 Corps Found
Chinese Imperials - San Francisco, CA (Imperial Palace Guard; Old China)
Imperials of St. Patrick's - Milwaukee, WI
London Imperials - London, Ontario
Woodstock Imperials - Woodstock, Ontario
Norwood Park Imperials - Norwood, IL (Norwood Imperials; Skokie Imperials)
Pembroke Imperials - Pembroke, MA
Pittsfield Imperials - Pittsfield, MA
Seattle Imperials - Seattle, WA
Twin City Imperials - Oil City, PA

Senior and Alumni Corps - 3 Corps Found
Culver City Imperials - Culver City, CA
Imperials Minicorps
Mechanicville Imperials - Mechanicville, NY

Yeah, Norwood Debonaires also uses Norwood.

But Skokie Vanguard and Skokie Indians also use Skokie, and I wouldn't categorize them as similar names.

What did you do in the Corps? Drumline

What years were you a Corps member? 1960-1965

I never heard of most of those "other" Imperials.

We competed against the Pembroke Imperials in the 70's. In fact, they won VFW Nationals in New Orleans in 1973 (the joke spoken of in another thread, beating Belleville fresh from making DCI finals). The Imperials of St. Patrick was one of the corps that eventually became the Pioneer in Wisconsin. The Seattle Imperials were famous for wearing jumpsuits as their uniforms in the late 70's-early 80's.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Li8ke Dave we didn't think to check out the other Imperials. Was aware of Roman's Imperials of St Patrick which started while I was in Norwood and I assumed were named after us. The Culver City Imperials were in far off California. Those are the only corps I recollect from the mid-60s with the name Imperials.