Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Funnel Cake Corps

Mary Snyder, in her review of the Allentown show, mentioned not seeing a couple of corps because they were her "Funnel Cake Corps." What a great term! We all had those corps where we went to the concession stand for a hot dog, to look at the souvenir booths, use the restroom, or whatever. So who was yours (and let's just accept that all of you hated the Cavaliers - I get it - and really put some thought into it this time!).

My "Funnel Cake Corps" was always the Phantom Regiment. They bored me to tears most years, and their drum lines (and Dave will never agree on this) were AWFUL! There was more dirt flying than at a motocross event. Marty Hurley was a good writer, and he could get a corps to a certain point, but never quite high enough (second place 1977-79, all because of their drum lines). He did the same with Bleu Raeders in 1972 and Belleville in 1973 - enough to get into finals, but not to the top. And their selections of classical music just lacked the pizazz of what Santa Clara was doing at the time. Plus, their bus boy uniforms were hideous.

OK - jump in. Who was your "Funnel Cake Corps"?

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Re: Funnel Cake Corps

I have to say that my "Funnel Cake Corps" (only for me it would be a Hot Dog) includes every DCI corp except the Madison Scouts and Blue Devils. If I note from the program that someone else plays a bit of music that I recognize I might watch them. Have considered bringing my iPod to listen to old corps music or early DCI shows so I won't get bored.

I might stay around for the Cadets but only to watch Hopkins, their director, dance around like he has an itch he can't scratch--a couple of years ago at Stanford his antics were worth the price of admission. Coming up from the field before the Cadets started with his henchmen in maroon shirts and ball caps parting the way through the crowd as he made his way to a higher viewing position for the performance.

A couple of years ago, he also mouthed the words of the Cadets speaking parts (that year there was more talking than playing) as the performers spoke. What a piece of work.

John - you hit the nail on the head. The only problem is if you spend the money ($125 for top 'o the line seats tonight) you may not have enough for the funnel cakes or hot dogs. I'd rather go get a great steak and sip a scotch while i remember the good old days...

John, I am with you on that!

I don't get it; so many people from our era (sixties)complain about DCI and the current state of drum corps, yet they pay big bucks to go see and hear them. Why???

What did you do in the Corps? Drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1963-1967

Bob, I don't see a lot of our (60s) era folks going to DCI shows. But, maybe I am wrong about that.