Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"OLD" ALUMNI CAN STILL PLAY!

Gosh, some of our older alumni are still able to "play drum corps"!

Well, we already found that out in 2002-2004 when a number of Imperials alums marched with the Royal Airs Reunion/ senior exhibition corps. Names such as Bob Minor, Bill Blomquist, Will Koenig, Tom Walter, Len Szulc and Mouse Fligelman come to mind. There are others too.

At the alumni picnic today, we saw John Tomazek playing "snare drum" with Steve Fagiano and a few others on drum pads. Showing real rudimental chops!

Re: "OLD" ALUMNI CAN STILL PLAY!

AHH! You're killing me!!!

Way to go, John!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Bob, the best part was that there were 5 corps at that table - Paul Milano - Cavies; Robie Skira - Kilts; Bill Morgan - I think Fox Valley originally and then Cavies; Dolly Rada - Vanguard? Truly a treat. Great people, great time. Dave talked about it another thread. He hit the nail on the head.

Those new pads are like playing on concrete - the one I had didn't have a flip side to play into the head.

The next time, I will have to get prepared - first for some extended play chops and then to toughen up the skin - can't remember the last time I had blisters.

John,

I marched next to Paul Milano in 1974, and he was managing the Spirit of Atlanta when I marched there. We have remained close friends, and he was in my practice wedding. Bill Morgan was in the 1976 Cavalier snare line. And Dolly married Bob Rada, who taught the Cavalier horn line in 1974-75. And, of course, you taught me in 1972.

And I hate playing on those new pads/drums too! It physically hurts those of us who learned on "real" drum heads!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

I met Paul Milano, Paul Leo and Bill Morgan at a Chicago Connection practice. Sat in on a few rehearsals and that's how I got to know those guys. Saw them again a few years ago at RA practice where I sat in again. Great guys.

Can't believe I missed you all playing!!!

Nice job, John! Sorry I couldn't be there to play along. Bill Morgan also marched snare in the 2002 RARC.
Sounds like it was lots of fun.

What did you do in the Corps? Drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1963-1967