Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What exactly is "General Effect" anyway?

Please explain. Thanks, Bill

Re: What exactly is "General Effect" anyway?

What it USED to be was the overall impact of the program; coordination of the elements (drums, horns, guard, marching) to produce an effective whole presentation; and, to some degree (and the announcers would always remind the audience of this) the reaction of the crowd. The difference between GE and the execution captions was that GE started at zero and judges gave points for positive effects, while execution judges started with a certain number of points and then deducted for mistakes. Dave can provide more specific details, having been a judge.

What it is today, I have no idea...

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

GE to me is, if you don't like the performance, they get the highest score

Gosh, this is almost impossible to answer simply. But, let me try .. there are others who could add more current insight too.

Bob is on the right track in that the CONCEPT is that a corps is rewarded for creating the best total effect. (Execution used to be done by deducting errors from a perfect score, but that has changed).

GE was judged by using a "National Linear Scale" which assigned point values for different levels of success .. Excellent, Superior, Good, etc). This later was improved by setting standards, or expectations, for each level. That is the same technique used for evaluating execution now. For example, a drum line will maintain ensemble cohesiveness: always (Superior), most of the time (Excellent), frequently (Good), sometimes (Fair) or never (Poor).
The same technique is used to evaluate ALL the aspects of performance and effect.

Of course, both are based on opinion ... but the effect categories are way more subjective by nature. And, this can lead to some interesting differences between judges and also between judges and the audience.

The judge is to evaluate EACH element through the entire corps show ... while the audience might be affected by (and remember) a SINGLE spectacular effect or aspect of the show.

Similarly, the judge may rate the corps in the SUPERIOR range for a certain effect or element (based on the judges experience as well as what OTHER corps have achieved); while the audience puts stronger focus on THAT corps at THAT show.

In theory, all of this will "balance out" .. but there are times when it may seem out of whack. That is why Donna's answer is perceptive!

That is a stab at a judges definition. What about MORE from the audience point of view?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

What did you do in the Corps? Drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958- 63

I like Donna's answer!

Another vote for Donna's answer.

Which reminds me of the time Mike Maggio and I were judging All American Championships in O'Fallen. We had taken the Greyhound Bus down and were going to get a ride back to Chicago. I had either a case of the flu or ??? by the time we got to the hotel where the rest of the judges were staying. I could not hold down water or anything else. Three hours later, prelims were starting. I swapped with Mike to do GE - I was supposed to be on the field for the prelims. So there I am sitting in the pressbox - barely surviving. Then along comes the absolute worst corps of the day. You know the kind that seemed to have just been given and instrument the second before they entered the field. Well this corps is coming towards the stand in their flag pres. All eyes are proudly looking up at the press box. And then it hit me again. I leaned over the edge of the box and proceeded to heave my guts out. I just can't imagine what those kids thought! (Are we really bad enough to make him that sick???). Of course, I did not have the presence of mind to hit the pause/stop on the recorder. So when you grab the rail, the mic remains in close proximity to preserve every glorious sound.

Thank God there was no critique.

1. I agree with Donna's answer too.

2. John, a great GE (judging) story! The only recorded NEGATIVE GE score of the century.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

John, that is the best story! Now that is GE. You get a perfect score.

That tape should have been preserved!

The most fun I had as a GE judge was in Indiana, doing marching bands there. They used a system with 2 GE judges (one for visual and one for music).

The great thing was that 30% of the GE score was for COORDINATION! The rules said that they would get credit for performing a show which used all the elements to enhance the music. So... drill, flags, drums, everything was to be built in such a way as to support and enhance the music. It was wonderful!

-------------------------------------