Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Who gets the credit, or is it the blame?

Which corps turned the tide? Who changed traditional drum corps into current drum corps? Which corps and when? What person(s)?

Re: Who gets the credit, or is it the blame?

I would say it was mostly the Cadets of Wherever They Were From at That Time, and especially their goofy leader, George Hopkins, in the early 80's. It started with marching becoming running all over the field, which made it impossible to do true rudimental drumming and reduced the difficulty of horn parts; then guards became the major focus rather than adding to the whole. But the biggest problem is that Hoppy is always looking for the next tradition to squash, all under the guise of "creative expression."

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Are you giving them credit, Bob, or are you blaming them?

I'd agree that Hopkins has been a major contributor to this trend. But, there were (and are) many others... all members of the "instructional elite" who have pushed the trends Bob noted. Count them: dance troupes, sideline percussion, tubas, amorphous (asymetric) drills, running, "original" music, the list goes on and on. All for "creative expression".

--------------------------------------------------------------

What did you do in the Corps? Drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958- 63

Bill,

Mostly blaming. I thought the 1984 season was the peak of drum corps performances and design. Garfield's "West Side Story" show was one of the best ever. After that everyone "jumped the shark" and went overboard with the innovations the Cadets started.

I don't have a problem with the "pit" percussion instruments. As a former music educator, the thought of students carrying timpani and mallet instruments would have scared me (even though we did it in high school ourselves). But I don't like the amplification, the voices, or the non-percussion instruments currently being used up there.

Drills have become movement for movement's sake - I don't see much relation to the music. And the music is simply dreadful.

But unlike most art forms, which eventually come back around to their roots, or at least provide an outlet for those people, drum corps has continually moved forward.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

So, Bob, you would draw the line at 1984 then? That's when the tide turned from traditional to current drum corps?

George Orwell's 1984--George Hopkins' 1984

I don't know if there was really one big change. I've always thought that when Star of Indiana won DCI it was the year the original activity really died. There were all kinds of changes in the years leading up to that event and there have been changes since then.

The big time arrangers and show designers are another aspect. The corps that has won 14 championships since 1976 has won in every decade and through out that time they've had stable leadership and their arranger has been involved during the entire period. They've had to adapt during that period to stay at or near the very top of the activity. But they still have the same sound.

The Cadets have done some different things but based on their recent shows they may have tried to be too innovative.

While 1984 and 1991 may have been years with significant happenings, (and I agree, both of these WERE that), I think the story is really like that of the frog in the pot of water being heated.

He stayed in the water as it was being heated and adjusted to the rising heat. But, he never never knew what was happening. Then, it was boiling and it was too late.

Same with drum corps I fear.

Adjusting and growing are one thing ... tossing out your history, forgetting your roots and ignoring the fans are totally different.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

What did you do in the Corps? Drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958- 63