Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Good thoughts and prayers needed

Dear Fellow Corps Members:

This past June, my younger sister Jessica was diagnosed with a rare bile duct cancer (the medical term is cholangiocarcinoma), similar to what Walter Payton had. By the time this type of cancer is detected it usually has spread to other organs. In her case it has spread to her liver and lymph nodes. Unfortunately the cancer she has is incurable and the prognosis they gave her was 6 mos. She is not a candidate for a liver transplant and she is currently undergoing chemotherapy to help slow down the replication of the cancer cells.

My sister is 40 years old and has been an Emergency Room nurse for the past 17 years at the VA Hospital in Chicago. Knowing the consequences of her cancer my sister lives for each and every day she has left on this earth. She said, “If I have to die from this people are going to learn from it.” Medically speaking, it maybe down the road before they find a cure for her cancer, but through her daily blog we are learning a lot about a person’s will to live.

She reminds us of the little things in life that we take for granted, for instance being able to take a shower, or getting outside for some fresh air. Every day she thanks everyone from her family and friends to the doctors and nurses who are working on her case. Don’t take anyone or anything for granted. Life is too short, don’t waste it.

She uses humor to get her through her days. Last week they switched one of her chemo drugs because her tumor was getting bigger and she asked them if they put “miracle-gro” in her chemo bag by mistake.

She documents her trips to the chemo clinic by having her picture taken with the nurses and doctors. The few times I’ve taken her for her treatments I can walk past the nurses’ station and her picture is hanging up. The nurses tell me they rarely get patients in here with smiles on their faces.

My sister never officially marched with the Drum Corps but she did help us out on a couple of St. Patrick Day Parades when we needed bodies. The courage and strength she has shown over the past 2 months is unbelievable. It tough watching her go from being a bouncy lively person to someone who now has to shuffle around to get around the house and now must use a wheelchair to get around outside. She talks about her pain but she does it with a smile.

I am asking for my Drum Corps Family to please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.

Her daily blog can be found at: http://thisisforjessie.blogspot.com/

Thank you.

What did you do in the Corps? Drums & Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1978-1981

Re: Good thoughts and prayers needed

Judy,

My thoughts will defintely be with both you and your sister. Unfortunately, we don't learn these important lessons most times unless something like this happens. I have certainly learned them by watching my wife these past three and a half years.

Bob

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Re: Good thoughts and prayers needed

Judy, these are tough times for the family. Best wishes and prayers for you all.

Dave Borck