Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
good corps website

I think we have talked about this before, but I recently visited the website of the Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights and was impressed. This website has a year by year summary of the corps .. pictures, scores, music, etc. Very well done. See it at: www.bsgk.org

For those who came later .. the BS Golden Knights were a championship corps from the mid 50s to late 60s. (Sponsored by a Catholic church ... Church of the Blessed Sacrament, in Newark, NJ.) Many National Championships!! Great brass, excellent drum lines, innovative programs. We often wondered how they would fare in DCI .. but they folded the same year DCI started!
-----------------------------------------------------------

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958 - 1963

Re: good corps website

I believe they were actually one of the founding members of DCI, but failed to make finals the first year in 1972 and folded after that season. They later tried to field a senior corps, but had little luck there either.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Bob is correct on this. BS was a member of the United Organization of Junior Corps in 1971. (This was a precurser to DCI, so, technically, they were a DCI member corps in 1972).

BS did field a corps in 1972 but suffered many difficulties. I couldn't find any evidence that they attended DCI prelims, even though their 1972 schedule included it. The corps folded in spring of 1973.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a "Preview" album from 1972 with BS on it, and while it wasn't championship caliber they sounded fairly decent. I recall Bob telling me that they didn't even make it through the season, which shocked me. To go from competitive to folding within the same summer is a sad story. Did they actually field a corps for that whole summer?

What did you do in the Corps? Soprano

What years were you a Corps member? 1974-1979, 1981

Their website shows their final contest in September that year. -----------------------------------------------------------------------