Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
FAVORITE MEMORIES AS AN IMPERIAL

We have had a lot of posts about corps that we miss (OF COURSE WE MISS THE IMPERIALS ) .. and we have had a lot of posts about memories from various corps trips and the like ...

BUT, look back and try to identify your FAVORITE MEMORIES from your corps years. (Post only those which you want to be public! )

This may take some thought.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958 - 1963

Re: FAVORITE MEMORIES AS AN IMPERIAL

OK, at the risk of being boring .. here are my favorites which come to mind right now.

. the excitement of attending corps practices at Norwood Park in
1958 and 1959 as a new member.

. having great instructors in those days: Frank Arsenault, Dick
Brown and Rick Maass.

. marching practices at the North Avenue and the Chicago Avenue
Armory were cool.

. many parades were actually FUN ... Michigan Avenue, Evanston
and Momence (crowds).

. working with a great bunch of drummers and friends through
the years

. great new uniforms in 1962 ... the military styled "battle jackets"
which would be with the corps until the mid 1970s.

. 1958 .. the VFW Nationals trip to NY (Ebbetts Field, seeing
Eastern Corps and great Senior corps, visiting St. Vinnie's
practice); AL Nationals in Chicago (Garfield Cadets, BS , Seniors,
wow!)

. 1959 .. doing a good job at AL Nationals, but doing even better at Stillwater that night! Great Senior show.

. 1962 .. surprising everybody with a great 5th place prelims finish
and 7th place finals at VFW Nationals.

. 1963 Dream Contest ... gosh, what a show and what a treat to
be there.

. 1964-66 great memories as an assistant instructor with good friend Bill Strauts. Later years were fun, but not the same.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

What years were you a Corps member? 1958 - 1963

My first parade with the Cadets in 1970 (wearing a number on my arm identifying our position in the lineup).

My first field show (also 1970), in Northbrook, IL in exhibition. The competing corps included Garfield, Troopers, Kilties, Argonne. And Bob Briskie's famous comment that "this corps will never win a nationals" when we were on the starting line.

Moving to the 'A' corps in 1972, with Bill Strauts and John Tomascek as instructors.

Winning State Fair in 1973.

The New Orleans trip in 1973 - and 1978 - and 1979 - and again in 1980 with Spirit of Atlanta.

Returning to Norwood in 1978 to find many of the same people I marched with in 1970-71 still there.

Becoming Drum Major for 1978-79.

Winning AL State in 1979.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

1961 AMVETS State and National Championships with the Cadets.

1962 Mt. Prospect--first show as an Imperial and finishing first over the Royal Airs

1962 VFW State in Springfield when the guy next to me slipped coming out of concert.

1962 VFW Nationals in Minneapolis with a 5th in Prelims behind Blessed Sacrament after there was concern by management that we might not make finals.

1962 VFW Nationals standing on the starting line and watching Madison perform.

1963 Dream Contest in New Jersey

1965 and 1966 seasons when we were very competitive. Won about 14 times and a lot of 2nd and 3rd place finishes.

Rick Maass, Brian Pennington, Hank Grana, and Gary Czapinski as instructors.

Older corps members like Sam Tessitore, Roman Blenski and Gary Czapinski who took an interest in the new kid when I came up in 1962.

Imperial of the year in 1964. Pretty big deal for me as Sam Tessitore had won the award the year before.

Friendships perhaps the best memories

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone

What years were you a Corps member? 1959-61 Cadets 1962-1966 Imperials

1. Performing the bigger the crowd the better we played what a thrill and adrenalin rush.

2 comradeship when ever we where together especially long trips and after shows.

3. A multitude of friends for life.

4. 73 New Orleans I still can't believe they just dropped us off on Bourbon st. to have at it. then picked us up out of the gutter literally and didn't say anything.

Forgot to include 4th of July 1966. Parade in Riverside in the morning. The a parade in Deerfield followed by the Evanston parade. Then a late afternoon contest in Deerfield which we won. Then fireworks show at Maine East.

Perhaps the fullest day we had during my time in the Imperials. I recollect Bruce Borck saying that the uniforms could have gone out and performed at Maine East.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone

What years were you a Corps member? 1959-1961 Cadets 1962-1966 Imperials

Greg,

We were still dropping the corps off in 78 and 79 - and it was a much younger corps! But, without a doubt, better behaved as well (ok, most of us were...).

Bob, I think I remember some of the exceptions and I am not sure they were all marching members.

It was ALWAYS fun to put on the uniform and perform before enthusiastic crowds .. the bigger the better! Parades too!

And, so many life long friends made through the corps.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

I agree about the uniform - but not the parades (HATED those!).

And Foo - I was beginning to wonder where you went! As for "marching members", at least one of us bent that line, so I'm not sure who you're talking about...

Bob, suprisingly I was not making reference to staff, but to chaperones. Now that you refreshed my memory, I think I'll include staff also. I really think it better not to name individuals. I am also unsure if this should be listed under favorite memories or bad because of the repercussions it caused when we got home.

I also disliked parades with one exception that being the Coast Guard parade in Grand Haven Michigan. The crowds were very enthusiastic and the mingling of the corps prior to the parade was a good symbol of what drum corps was supposed to be all about.

Did we do Grand Haven in 78 or 79? I honestly don't remember going to Michigan.

We did go 1977 thru 1979 but I am not sure about 1976. I'm suprised you don't remember 1979 because you gathered all the drum lines together just prior to the parade for an impromptu drum concert. I think Grand Haven was the show where your friend, Cliff Colnot, praised the potential of the horn line and commented what a good job you had done with the drums on his evaluation tape. You were there even if you don't remember.

I still don't remember Grand Haven, but I do remember all those lines playing together - that was great fun! And Colnot was a great guy - did a good bit of arranging and instructing in those days, along with being the assistant director at Northwestern (and a large part of why I went there).

See Bob if you hadn't made all those trips to Bourbon St. and other things maybe you would remember some of this stuff.

Probably true...but worth it!

Have said this before.. but some favorites are:

1. 1962 VFW Nationals. Great experience and great performances by the corps. We all had a lot of fun on this trip

2. 1963 Dream Invitational contest .. what a rush! Great crowd. Great corps.

But, it was just a lot of fun being with the corps members at practices and turnouts, parties, etc. Great friends.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Dave's right. I can't really think of too many "bad" memories from all my ten years (Jim Ott dying in 1980, a Cavalier member dying in 1976). Others were unfortunate - mostly scoring and placements, but those things fade (except for 1980's drum title, which still hurts!). But many of the things we thought were "bad" at the time are just funny now!

1. Having Kasmarek ask me if I would like to be Drum Major.

2. Getting to go to Philadelphia for 69 VFW and stand in at Inspection. It was before I moved up to the Imperials and they needed bodies.

3. While staying at Temple University in 69, Bob Wiesnewski was my room mate and had me help him bring back beer to the dorms. Carried in an empty Contra case. He went across the street and bought it and then we both carried the case past security and the chaperones.

4. Beating Santa Clara and finally getting some respect, even if it was short lived.

5. Having the White Sox as our sponsor.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone and Drum Major

What years were you a Corps member? 1968-1972

Steve,

So you were DM your first year in the corps? But you didn't march after that, right, because Gary Zinkann was DM in 1971, if I remember correctly?

I remember Kasmarek, who was still around through 1973. Didn't he teach the Royal Airs before coming to Norwood?

And we even had the White Sox name painted on the side of the truck as a sponsor. I believe they bought new horns for us one year (70 or 71?).

Yep, Kasmarek was with the Royal Aires and he wanted the young DM look. So the Zimny family joined the corp and I moved up from the Cadets. And Art Peters was the horn instructor. At first it was supposed to be Arts' younger brother, but he really didn't work out. So Kasmarek wanted someone with more music experience and that is when Paul became part of it.

You notice I only said the good part was being asked. The part of actually being DM would go under bad. Don't forget my dad was manager at the time also, so guess what everyone thought.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone and Drum Major

What years were you a Corps member? 1968-1972

Steve I got to play DM once in the cold St. Pats parade.
You are correct it's harder than it looks and I sucked.

Steve,

Ouch! I forgot about your Dad being manager. That would have made it tough right from the start. Is that why you only did it for one year?