Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BEING A DRUM MAJOR

A recent poster said;

I got to play DM once in the cold St. Pats parade.
You are correct it's harder than it looks.
---------------------------------------------------

This made me think ... just what was it like being the DM? Most of the playing members probably thought .. that is easy. WE do all the work and THEY get the glory! At least, not a tough job.

But, is it really that easy? Some pressure of being "in charge" for sure. Have to be able to direct the music and keep it right.

Let's hear some DM replies!

-------------------------------------------------------

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Re: BEING A DRUM MAJOR

I loved being DM. It wasn't the glory or anything. It was fun being in front of the corps, close to the crowd, being able to gauge their reaction, urging the horn line to be a bit louder on that chord, etc. You were kind of in the performance and watching it at the same time.

Of course there was the pressure of being 'the' leader on the field. But in my case, I was already drum instructor, so I was kind of in that position to begin with. The hardest part was balancing that line between being a member (and having friends off the field) with being the guy who kept those same people in line on the field. And being part marching member, part instructor, part management. But my situation was unique.

But accepting all the trophies when you won was great!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Of course it isn't easy. The instructors tell you what to do and then you have to get 60-80 other teenagers, most of them older then you, to do what the instructors want.
If I could have done it over, I would have turned down the position and just taken the abuse for being the managers son, and not add the pressure of being DM.
By the way, I had decided to not be in the corp and wasn't at the practices when I was asked to come back. That probably didn't endear me to the older guys.

Back then I just don't understand the choices for DM. The position seemed to be more of a show piece for the other corps, like Kilties, Mariners or even the Royal Aires with Paul Zimny.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone and Drum Major

What years were you a Corps member? 1968-1972

I think each corps treated it differently. In the Cavaliers, the DM really ran the corps. In other places, they were mostly the musical director. And in others, I'm sure they were show pieces (remember the girl in the White Tornadoes? Why do I not think she was the most qualified leader/musical director available to them?).

And in the days before podiums, height had something to do with it too!

Back then the DM was NOT a musical director. They didn't read the score for all the instruments and they were not conductors. They were mostly figure heads. I don't know what the Cavies did in the 60's and early 70's, but I remember no one had a podium back then and there were short and tall DM's.

Back then the DM was actually part of the show, now all they do is stand on a podium (and there is always 3 of them) and they keep time for everyone. Since they are so spread out and continually moving they need them like metronomes to keep them at the same beat. They might as well have the musical director up there like a band.

That's probably where the podium came from - replicating a band director. But I didn't have a problem with that, because as drills spread out, it was tougher for everyone to see the DM.

And I always thought one DM was more efficient - the Cavaliers still only have one "official" DM, although they usually have a backfield director as well.

Watching early videos it becomes obvious that the DM's had little musical experience!

Memorable DM's for me Captain Crunch from the Mariners, and Billy Agnello from Vanguard. Zimney RA. John McClellan also Vanguard who was very knowledgeable in music and won showman of the year at 72 DCI. I only enjoyed a Cavy DM when I saw him with no teeth and blood coming out of his mouth. (oh did I say that out loud?)

I know you didn't dare say anything bad about a DM from the green slime. ( oh did I say that out loud?)

And here we go again...

Wasn't Captain Crunch John Brazale? He later did guard for Phantom Regiment. Vanguard DMs always looked ten feet tall to me. Maybe it was the black uniforms?