Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sal Ferrera

Sal Ferrera, the man behind the competitive success of the Cavaliers in the 50s and 60s, has died at 77 after a long illness. Sal was a member of the Boy Scout troop that became the Cavaliers, being an original member in the snare line. He then became the horn arranger and instructor, keeping that position through 1972. After that, he served as program director and corps director through the mid 70s.

Sal was fiery and competitive, and described as a "student of the game." With Frank Arsenault and Lenny Piekarsky, he made up the entire instructional staff of the corps for many years, including the undefeated season in 1961.

I had the pleasure of knowing Sal during the three years I marched with the Cavaliers, and he maintained his fighting spirit even after stepping down as an instructor. If Don Warren was the brains behind the corps, Sal Ferrera was the brawn.

Funeral information is available on the Cavaliers website.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Re: Sal Ferrera

Sal Ferrera was quite a guy in many respects. A dedicated Cavalier, a fine arranger and instructor and a decent man. His arrangements and instruction were a primary reason for the early success of the Cavaliers.

--------------------------------------------------------

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

I received my alumni newsletter from Northwestern today .. had a bio of Sal in there announcing his passing. I already knew that he had an engineering degree from NU. Found out that he also had a DOCTORATE in Economics!

He was also somewhat of a social activist ... some would call his policies communist. He was also involved with the MIRC, a minority housing activist organization in the area.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

What years were you a Corps member? 1958 -1963

Never knew Sal was a fellow Wildcat!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Sal: BSIE, 1956

--------------------------------------------------------------

What years were you a Corps member? 1958 -1963

Sometime ago I had some back problems,and I had to
go to the Rehabilitation Insitute of Chicago,it's
part of Northwestern Hospital.I had to have a
injection there,well anyway after I was done my
brother Ron,he had to drive me,because they didn't
want me to drive after the procedure,so we got on
elevator to go to the parking lot and who was
waitng there with us but Sal Ferrera.I seen him
standing there and he did look familiar but I
wasn't sure who he was.When we were on the elevator
together,I kept glancing at him,and than as I
realized who he was,the elevator stopped at his
level and he got off to go to his car.

If I would've have realized it sooner I would've
have introduced my brother and I and maybe talked
to him.But it was too late.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963

Dave.

After your post, I went and found my Alumni Magazine under the pile of junk mail I haven't sorted yet.

As you note, he had an Industrial Engineering Degree from Northwestern. His PhD was from University of Chicago. I'd say your comment on his economic views having a communist flavor are correct. That's likely why he was involved in a non-profit housing organization for years rather than working for a large profit making firm or getting a teaching gig (Economics departments tend to be conservative as a lot of their funding comes from major corporations and someone with his views is going to have a tough time being hired. Especially in the 60s and 70s).

Sounds like he never practiced as an Industrial Engineer or maybe he did and that's why he got the PhD.