Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DRUM CORPS LESSONS FOR REAL LIFE

All of the talk about drum corps.. community drum corps vs. "new" (DCI) drum corps ... interesting talk. Much has been said about the value of teaching local kids about discipline, teamwork and friendship.

But, what are your thoughts about what YOUR drum corps experience taught you that has been useful in life?

Give this some thought and post your ideas. Let's see what our alumni think about this.
---------------------------------------------------------------

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Re: DRUM CORPS LESSONS FOR REAL LIFE

Here is my reply:

I wasn't interested in organized sports activities but was interested in music. The corps was also exciting for the military style and precision.

Lessons learned:
1. Teamwork
2. Discipline and focus
3. Work toward a goal (practice)
4. Drumming skill and teaching
5. Organization
6. Competition is good, but is best when friendly

Along the way: FRIENDSHIP

---------------------------------------------------------

I agree with all of Dave's reasons. You could also add that it kept some kids off the streets all summer who might have pursued less wholesome activities otherwise! It really taught all the skills that most youth activities strive to teach, but what made it different is that it was all year (unlike most sports teams) and you could stay in it through middle school, high school, and into college (and some beyond, once in a while).

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

I also was drawn to drum corp by the military style and precision which as we all know now takes a back seat to flow, dancing, and flair.

Dave, to your list I would add responsibility, leadership and politics.

Responsibility - We learned at an early age that each individual corp member was responsible for making sure their equipment, uniform and overnight gear was ready and available for each practice, show and trip. We had to learn early how to plan and pack for long trips and we were all held accountable by each other for making sure we knew the music and the drill.

Leadership - drum corp was one of the first times I learned to appreciate good (and bad) leadership and to have the opportunity to be a leader.

Polotics - I remember being frustrated about some things going on in the corp and my dad telling me at the time that I would understand it later in life but that a lot of what happens or why people are put in certain positions of authority doesn't always have to do with what is right or logical but has to do with the polotics involved with the situation.

Here's a lesson to learn .. very valuable in corporate life ..

How to live with arrogant folks who you see every day, always win and let you know they are better than you.

Yes, that wonderful "green corps" from Chicago taught me that lesson.
----------------------------------------------------------------

here is another valuable lesson .. taking the horrid experience of learning to ride a corps bus in cramped and uncomfortable conditions for a long time ...and now being able to travel on airplanes on business.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

What years were you a Corps member? 1958 -1963

I tell my wife all the time, when we're on a road trip or staying in a hotel that isn't quite what was advertised, that I just switch into "drum corps mode" and there's no problem. Unfortunately, she never marched...

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79