Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Winter Camps

As we sit here in the dead of winter waiting for a blizzard to hit it got me thinking of winter camps (and one day practices) at facilities outside our regular practice spots. This may have already been a thread in years past but what the heck.

As a kid there was something fun about going to a new facility to practice and being in lock-down mode for the weekend. It seemed like the instructors were more prepared for these sessions, the kids were more focused, and in addition to having a little fun during breaks and at night we actually made visible progress in learning new scores and portions of the drill.

Places that come to mind for me include the Broadway Armory, Lincoln Junior High in Mt. Prospect, and the VFW Post on North Avenue and Cicero.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone

What years were you a Corps member? 70's

Re: Winter Camps

I could not agree with Pete more concerning winter camps and in particular those at the Broadway Street Armory. The chance to work on the drill gave us a tremendous head start on the season. I would add one place to the list of practice facilities he names, that being Alvernia H.S. which for several years was the regular home of cadet practices and later the A corps.

I agree about the instructors and marching members, but I think a great deal of credit has to go to the chaperones who made the whole thing work. Many times I know the only one who was befuddled was the manager.

It,s good to have Pete back as I never did or will get used to Peter.

well, there is a difference between a drill practice site (such as an armory) and having a weekend CAMP, where you spend LOTS of practice time away from distractions.

The corps did BOTH for many years, at many sites. We could make a long list ... all have memories and all were useful.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958 -1963

I think part of the attraction was when you started on the drill. All those months of winter music basics, and starting on the music, couldn't compare to finally MOVING while you played.

And I think Pete hit on it with the stuff at night - being together 24/7 helped to gel the corps for the summer season. It was the same when I was a high school band director - we went away to a college for a one-week camp before school started, and it was most of my students' favorite time of the entire school year.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Dave, I think you have badly misinterpeted the thoughts that Pete and I expressed. There is no question that camaderie was greatly increased by winter camps. I think Pete's intent was to point out the difference between winter camps and all day practices as compared to the ordinary weekly ones.

If I created the impression, that the use of the Broadway Armory in the late 70's was original with us that certainly was not my intention. The suggestion to use the Armory was advanced by Hank Grana and implemented by George Underwood and Henry Majewski. I didn't feel any need to comment on previous winter camps or use of armories as my knowledge of them is non-existent.

I think the problem was that the title of the thread was Winter Camps when it probably should have been something to the effect of weekend winter practices as opposed to the ordinary weekday sessions.

I would point out that the need to explain any of this is totally unnecessary and maybe one of the reasons Alumni are hesitant to post on the site for fear of the continual caustic reprimands for what was a simple statment of memories.

gosh, I wasn't trying to be caustic or anything .. just observing that the corps did BOTH types of things. and they were all useful for the reasons noted by the posters.

and, the 24/7 camps were also great team builders and fun.

-------------------------------------------------------------

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958 -1963

Recollect winter camps in 1962 through 1966. We usually went to some place in southern Wisconsin (Mugonako) or in 1965 and 1966 Hastings YMCA camp. Focus in that era was music and color guard wasn't invited. Usually we got the last of the music for the season (concert) and end of camp was probably first time the whole show came together music wise.

Never did figure out why it was absolutely necessary to leave town but we did practice on Saturday until about 9 or 10 pm and got 4 or 5 hours Sunday before going home. Suppose it was easier having everyone in one place rather than practicing at Billy Caldwell or elsewhere in Chicago.

In thinking back we'd actually start in door drill practices as early as November in Chicago Avenue or North Avenue Armory and one year Glenview Air Station. Those were usually on Sunday afternoons although North Avenue Armory practices were sometimes Friday or Thursday nights. I remember that we did practice there on Thursdays because we had a practice the night Kennedy was shot in 1963 (that memory is a generational thing) and didn't practice for very long.

So from end of the corps season to March when we could get outside we'd have at least one music practice a week and generally one drill practice inside.

What years were you a Corps member? 1959-1961 Cadets 1962-1966

I also think part of the attraction was that in those days the members could not get enough drum corps! The more the merrier. And having an entire weekend doubled the fun. I can't imagine having one camp every month for the entire season and feeling satisfied, like modern corps.

And my most unusual camp memory was on Super Bowl weekend in 1980 (when it was still in January). I called Dad to tell him about the OUTDOOR camp we had just finished with Spirit of Atlanta, where I got sunburned.

My favorite part of the winter camps was when the horns, drummers, and guard would all gather at the end of the day and play the new music together. The guard would only have tape recordings to learn with. It was always exciting when it all came together.

What did you do in the Corps? Guard

What years were you a Corps member? 1975-1979

Brigid makes a great point! I remember how exciting it would be the first time the drums and horns played something together, even though it would usually fall apart rather quickly! The drum line usually heard the horns practicing the music during breaks, but I don't think the horns heard much of the drum music before that point. It could completely change everyone's view of the music when they heard it together.

Am picking up a difference between the early mid-60s camp and later camps. Winter camp in the 60s wasn't the first time the brass and percusion had practiced the music together. They usually got together for half hour or so at the end of each weekly practice and played what they'd be focusing on that session.

We'd also usually started the into armory practices prior to the winter camp.

Winter camp was generally where the concert arrangement was introduced. Since that didn't impact the drill, it wasn't necessary for the indoor drill practices.