Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is anyone going to Nationals this year?

Is anyone going to Indianapolis for DCI Nationals? I'm giving serious thought to taking my teenage daughter for the week. It would be fun if there were other Imperials I knew going. The only time I ever attended a Nationals is when it was in Dallas in the 80's. It was so hot they never came back here again!

What did you do in the Corps? Flag

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-1973

Re: Is anyone going to Nationals this year?

Mary Lou,

I'm going. We typically go for quarter and semi-finals. It's pretty easy to get your Drum Corps "fix" during those 2 days, not bothering to stay for the Finals. As much as I'm neutral regarding the music that's played, these youngsters are incredible performers. On the day of semi-finals we typically sit on the 50 yd line in the first 10 rows...lotsa of empty seats.

What did you do in the Corps? Soprano

What years were you a Corps member? Cadets 61-62 Imperials 63-67

Bill,
Thanks for the response. I remember you, but I'm not sure if you remember me. So does that mean you have to buy assigned seats in order to sit with people or just kind of show up and look around? I'd just like to be sure I can find people if I go all the way from Dallas. Since I haven't seen anyone since around the early 80's I'm not sure I'd recognize them to find them. I do, however, still have my Norwood jacket which I'd wear!

The seating IS reserved (at least for the semis & finals), but there are many many no-shows so we just move down to the great seats. No one seems to care. The great "Finals" Seats will all be occupied. I'll get home way before finals even begins, because I don't care who wins....just hearing/watching the great performances (up close) is enough! Let's keep this thread going so maybe other Imperials might chime-in...It would easy to put together a mini reunion/hospitality area on Friday afternoon.

What did you do in the Corps? Soprano

What years were you a Corps member? 61-62 Cadets, 63-67 Imperials

Thanks so much, Bill. I'm getting more and more excited about it.

an alumni "mini-reunion" would be a good idea ....

-------------------------------------------------------

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958 -1963

Hi Mary Lou! Tom and I will be going to Indy this year.

Hi, Jan. It's good to hear from you. Are you going during the weekdays or for the Saturday night finals?

I won't be going, but I do love hearing it called "Nationals"!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

I agree Bob,I also like the sound of word Nationals

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963

That word is now used in my house in the following manner:

"I could still march a Nationals!"

Usually in referring to how I am feeling. My non-drum corps wife knows enough to know what that means. And if I say I COULDN'T march a Nationals, she knows I'm having trouble. But sometimes I have to qualify it by saying I could march a Nationals as Drum Major, but not in the snare line - it took less effort to stand on the podium and direct than it did to actually march and drum.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79