Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DCI judging 2011

Not sure if this is a cost cutting move by DCI or just "playing with the system" ... but DCI is doing strange stuff with judging panels this year.

Have you looked at the recap sheets from the shows held so far this year? There are a lot of shows where they used just 5 judges instead of the normal 8.

When they do this, they eliminate different scoring portions and add the points to another area. For example, there have been several where the PERCUSSION judge or the COLOR GUARD portion is omitted.

Yet, the total scores remain in sync with other recent shows where ALL normal judging portions are included.

That is only possible if the corps are equally proficient in all captions across the board ... possible in some corps, but very unlikely in all corps .. OR, the judges are simply "slotting" the corps. THAT used to be a real "no-no".

Then, they had this experiment in Texas with "fan voting" for contest results. YIKES.

So, I wonder what is going on here. I haven't taken the time to fully research all the sheets, etc .. it really isn't that important to me. But, I am confused.

Does anyone have some clues?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

What did you do in the Corps? drummer; quartermaster 1964-66, ass't drum instructor 1964-70

What years were you a Corps member? 1958 -1963

Re: DCI judging 2011

It looks like either they are making more strides towards turning drum corps into marching band, or they just can't find enough people who can understand the judging criteria! I know I have a music degree, and I can't figure it out.

In most band shows, individual sections (guard, percussion) are judged, but those scores aren't included in the band's overall score. Maybe eventually there will be one judge for music, one for marching, and one for GE - think how much money they'll be able to give to the Top 8 corps then!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

I have also heard that these "short panels" are used in the early season shows as a cost cutting measure by DCI.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

What did you do in the Corps? drummer; quartermaster 1964-66, ass't drum instructor 1964-70

What years were you a Corps member? 1958 -1963

The smaller panels may have something to do with cost. I'm not sure how the judging compensation works so don't understand the cost impact. Does anyone know how much the judges are paid or is the only cost their expenses--hotel, airfare, car, meals, etc.

The smaller panels have caused the scores to be somewhat inconsistent. It used to be that as the early season progressed a corps score would generally increase from show to show. If the score decreased in was only 0.1 or so. This year it's different. One example is the Cavaliers--on July 8 they scored 83.44 in Ohio and then on July 9 scored 81.55 in Madison.

Of course the only competition that means anything is the finals in Indianapolis. So all the shows leading to that indicate how much they have to modify their performance to score higher.