Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DRUM CORPS BEFORE DCI

Just wondering ... how would our alums describe their summer experiences and memories from the days before DCI and "touring"?

I already spoke about summers where we could have summer jobs, do summer school, have summer dates and beach parties, fun with friends, corps parties, etc.

Yes, we had practices (usually 2X/ week) in summer .. and weekend events (but not every weekend). Lots of time for other stuff.

We also enjoyed the days when MOST of the corps members were our local friends .. NOT people who came from "everywhere". (THOSE days are gone!)

What do YOU have to remember?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What did you do in the Corps? drummer; quartermaster 1964-66, ass't drum instructor 1964-70

What years were you a Corps member? 1958 -1963

Re: DRUM CORPS BEFORE DCI

I think the friends have stayed with me my entire life, and despite the increased performance levels of current corps, I believe that's the biggest thing they miss out on. I don't care that the shows are different - don't like them much, but that's their thing. Many of you don't like what we did in the 70's either. But our experience was pretty much the same throughout the lifetime of the Imperials. I think current members don't have those life-long connections as much, partly because they don't march as many years, but mostly because, as Dave said, they don't go to school together, hang out during the "off season", and all the other things we did that were so much fun.

How can you do a "Cherry Tree Social" when the corps members live in all 50 states?

People like George Roberts, the Fiduccias (though Cathy continues to avoid me), and many others from Norwood and the Cavaliers are the only reason I have to go to Chicago anymore. And they have been there for me during some tough times in recent years. I wonder if today's corps members will be able to say the same when they're in their 50's? I hope so.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

I don't know if I agree with Dave. During my last three years in Norwood (64-66) the summers were pretty intense. Don't recollect any free weekends Memorial Day through Labor Day. Normal practice sessions were two nights a week. One music and the other drill. But we also added another practice for drill from about mid June up to Nationals. We had a lot of three show weekends. If we didn't have a Friday show we'd practice. So during the summer we'd be dealing with corps activities five to six days a week. Also one can't forget time one spent practicing their music at home.

A difference between those three years and my first two (62 and 63) is that we made a lot of changes in 64-66 seasons to the drill and music. Each of those seasons we changed music and drill. In 1965 we had a major drill change about three weeks before nationals. So it was somewhat similar to what the present corps do only their time commitment is complicated by travel. They have to do changes on the road.

Difference between 64-66 and 62-63 was change in management and instructors. Prior to 1964 rarely saw brass and drum instructors at drill practice. In 64-66 all instructors were present at all practices and shows.

One of the reasons I left Norwood before aging out was the time committment. I had an engineering co-op/internship and had schedule conflicts. That job was related to college and an engineering career. That DCI time commitment would have been impossible to deal with unless I was a music or liberal arts major.

What John related is all true. Yes, there was an increase in intensity as the season progressed and yes, most weekends were full.

But, we still had a real life besides drum corps. I had a summer job, worked every day. Had time for family events. Some people went to summer school. Non drum corps time for friends.

Not at all like the 24/7 summer tour commitment now.

But, as John and others have already said .... the activity is now, for the most part, aimed at music and dance majors who are ready for that internship commitment.

-----------------------------------------------------

What did you do in the Corps? drummer; quartermaster 1964-66, ass't drum instructor 1964-70

In the late 60's and early 70's the corp seemed like a family. And I think that was brought about by hanging out at each others homes and having parties. I remember going to the local lakes as a group.

Look how many people married someone from the same corp. It wasn't just about the corp, but the corp is what brought us all together. And I don't think there is that closeness in corps today.

What did you do in the Corps? baritone and Drum Major

What years were you a Corps member? 1968-1972

Steve, I think that is a very good point. In those days, the corps was much more a community/ family thing. Lots of brothers & sisters (and cousins) and neighbor friends joined the corps. Many of the members lived in the same area, went to the same schools, had parties and social events together, etc.

We also stayed friends after the corps experience ... many still meet often. (We even have a group of alums from the late 1940s and early 50s who still meet on a bi-monthly basis.) Friends.

I am sure that the members of drum corps still make corps friends today .... but I wonder if they could ever be as close as we were? Do they even see each other again after they age out?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Very well put everyone in your coments.In a special
way we are a family,no matter what years we were in
Norwood.Even though we don't get to see each other
as often as we might like,we have the web-site to
keep in touch.And when the opportunity arises,to
get together we do.If my work schedule wasn't the
way it is I would be there.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963

Rich makes a great point. Just think about how many times drum corps people have been there for each other through the years. I remember all of us from various corps in 1980 hopefully supporting the Anderson's in Birmingham; losing George a few years ago; and personally I know how much it meant to me that the Fiduccia's and Dave Borck came to Dad's funeral last year.

Much more than the change in music, marching, or touring, I think this is what current members may be lacking.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

We talk about how the modern DCI corps don' have the same sense of "family" that we did. Don't know if we really can comment on that. Yes, they don't seem to be together as long because some of the members move, but in my experience in business and college, I have a lot of friends that I really only intially spent time working with over a periods of time of less than a year.

Also, today younger people keep in touch using the internet--email, facebook, twitter, etc.

Yes, it is different but in many cases it is probably fundamentally the same.

John Anderson made some good observations about the current crop of corps members .. and the ability to "stay in touch" electronically.

BUT:

1. WE often stay "in touch" electronically.... but when we were YOUNG (remember that?) we also had local parties, dates, picnics and other "gatherings" .. even during the "off season".

2. Gosh, many of us lived in the same area, went to the same schools and churches too!

The members of today's DCI corps do NOT have that. YES, it is really different now.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob Shreffler made a very interesting observation about this on another "thread":

And it's those types of things that current corps members don't have. While they have a better performing experience than we ever could, given the difference in talent level, show design, and equipment, there's something to be said about the emotional and comradarie side of doing paper rolls, tag days, Cherry Tree Socials, and things like that. I'm not sure that 30, 40, or 50 years from now they could have a forum like this where people still share things, because they don't build those relationships like we did.

----------------------------------------------

What did you do in the Corps? drummer; quartermaster 1964-66; asst. drum instr. 1964-70

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63