Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rockford Show

The link to this article pretty much says it all. DCI is still tweaking the program but I like what I'm seeing and hearing. The finale was very in your face. In a good way.

http://www.regiment.org/story.cfm?ID=1141

Re: Rockford Show

Anything in Rockford that kept Phantom from winning must at least be fair! They used to upset everyone winning their own show year after year, at a time when most other corps just did an exhibition at the show they sponsored.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Terri, thanks for including the link to the Rockford show site. I'd be interested in hearing YOUR observations about the corps performances too.

Maybe I am being cynical again, but the new "Tour of Champions" Premier Events seem like a great way for DCI to separate the patrons from their money for no real reason.

While the events DO present some of the TOP corps, I fail to see the magic of paying $40- $75 per person to sit in high school bleachers to watch.

Then, they advertise NEW features as "extras":

1. You can watch the corps warm up nearby! Gosh, we have been doing that for years! (I have even gone to shows only to watch the warmups and NOT pay to go to see the contest.)

2. They will play the National Anthem and raise the Flag! Most sites already do that, and if they don't, they SHOULD! This is an extra?

3. An all-corps finale? Yes, for DCI that IS unusual .. but, this was always a traditional part of a corps show historically. NOW .. it is an "extra".

4. Instant Encores? So .. after a corps finishes it's competitive show, it comes back and plays some more? What is THAT all about?

5. Interactive Intermissions .. with corps small groups playing at various parts of the field site during intermission. What is the purpose of that .. something for the little kids to go see? Doesn't hit me much .. what about you?

6. The kicker is FAN VOTING .... by your cell phone or other mobile device. A real "feel good" approach here. But, what is the point beyond that?

All these "extras" are really amazing.

If you have attended a "Tour of Champions" event like this, post YOUR reactions here too!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

What did you do in the Corps? drummer; quartermaster 1964-66, ass't drum instructor 1964-70

What years were you a Corps member? 1958 -1963

1. You can watch the corps warm up nearby! Gosh, we have been doing that for years! (I have even gone to shows only to watch the warmups and NOT pay to go to see the contest.)

A few squads came into the concession/souvie area to entertain the folks before the show started. I don't think the average fan knew you could watch warm ups, especially the fans that never marched or volunteered with a corps.

2. They will play the National Anthem and raise the Flag! Most sites already do that, and if they don't, they SHOULD! This is an extra?

At Sunday's show five members of Santa Clara came out to do a flag pres for the national anthem. The guard member holding the American flag wore a uniform from the early years. (Think knee level hemlines on the skirts with white boots.) A soprano player, three more guard members in present day costume and a drummer playing a real snare drum rounded out the presentation.

3. An all-corps finale? Yes, for DCI that IS unusual .. but, this was always a traditional part of a corps show historically. NOW .. it is an "extra".

4. Instant Encores? So .. after a corps finishes it's competitive show, it comes back and plays some more? What is THAT all about?

It was interesting to watch the members perform their encore. The show itself was serious faces or in the case of the guard smiles frozen on their faces. When they played their encore the kids came alive and really had a good time with the music they were playing. They looked and acted happy. The audience fed off that enthusiasm. Call it bonding with the audience if you will. It was a very cool experience.

5. Interactive Intermissions .. with corps small groups playing at various parts of the field site during intermission. What is the purpose of that .. something for the little kids to go see? Doesn't hit me much .. what about you?

We could have done without that. When an intermission is only 20 minutes long there are only two things on most people's minds: bathroom and beverage. Most people were discussing the first half of the show, not really listening to the few performers playing. Hope none of the corps stuck kids out there with self esteem issues.

6. The kicker is FAN VOTING .... by your cell phone or other mobile device. A real "feel good" approach here. But, what is the point beyond that?

The only people that could vote were the ones that had smart phones. You texted in a number and code and got a survey screen where you could type in your rankings. Doesn't make for a fair sample. There's a few of us that still have plain old cell phones. There also was talk on Drum Corps Planet about votes being entered by people not even in attendance at the show. All one had to do was text the number and passcode to friends and pad the votes.
I think DCI is trying to show the fan$ that they really care about what the fans think. It remains to be seen if the fans believe that. I'm not sure if it is worth paying the higher admission price.

Teri raises an interesting point that many of us have probably never thought of before - the "average" fan is not any of us! Yes, we all know you can go watch warmups and such because we marched and have been around it forever. It just never occurred to me that many people don't know that!

But, as Red Neckerson used to say, "anything worth doing is worth ripping somebody off on." It's like Disney - they'll keep raising prices until people stop coming.

Most of the tickets were $22 or $27. I call that reasonable. The event was great. I went in being cynical and came away with the feeling that DCI leadership is really trying to connect with the audience.

As you parked and walked towards the stadium, drum lines were warming up in the parking lot. Years ago, I used to try to show up early and find a drum line warming up. Now everyone can enjoy this.

The encores were cool. The Blue Stars played their encore and then the horn line came up to the front row of the stands to high-five and shake hands. Santa Clara played an old drum solo from '78 or '79 that I loved.

I can do without the meandering horn ensembles and 15-minute contrabass individual performances. However, the 450 horn-member finale blew me away.

The fan voting gimmick was there to not only take up a few minutes while the scores were tabulated, it is a way of reflecting on your favorite corps performances of the night compared to the judges' opinions.

I thought The Blue Stars were great. I really enjoyed their show. Nice horn line, the drums played tough parts and were tuned nice, and the guard and scaffolding were nice without going overboard. (I don't understand why corps have five bass drums tuned to the midsection tenor range.) I thought the Cavaliers were all gimmicks with sensitive quiet interludes in between. I really like Santa Clara's and Blue Devils performances and I surprising enjoyed Carina Crown's show. The Cadets showed me that you can split one of these champion corps in half and still have an enjoyable and full sounding corps; one-half of the Cadets reminded me of some of the old A-Corps that were all over the midwest in the '70's.

Walking out of the show, you walked past members of different corps conversing and playing in the parking lot. Some took the time to chat with us and they were very cool.

Although I disagreed with the judges completely, I really enjoyed the show. I recommend that you guys give it a try before you knock it. Who knows, you might like some of it.

What did you do in the Corps? drum line

What years were you a Corps member? '77 - 81

Chris,

Great to see you out here! And thanks for the review. Some of us "old poopy farts" (as my wife lovingly refers to me) do get crusty at times. There is a show here in Orlando at the end of the month, but it's all corps in the bottom half (or lower), and they want a minimum $35 for that. Maybe I'll go watch the drum lines warmp up (best part of the corps anyway).

And you didn't have an urge to be turned upside down to play your tenors after watching the Cavaliers?

The prices for Rockford seem very reasonable considering the show includes the top corps from the previous season.

Seems to me that the price of the ticket has to do with the venue. Orlando is in the Citrus Bowl. Atlanta show is in the Georgia Dome. Haven't checked all the show prices but the ticket prices for the show at Leland Stanford Junior University in June were comparable to the semi-final tickets in Indianapolis. But they did include a decent meal and pre-contest concert with the $50 and $75 tickets.

Yep, a first class stadium will up the ticket price! But, having a meal included .. as well as a pre-contest concert? That is a good deal.

Now, add in valet parking and you've got a winner.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

What did you do in the Corps? drummer; quartermaster 1964-66, ass't drum instructor 1964-70

What years were you a Corps member? 1958 -1963