Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
2011 DCI PREDICTIONS

Well, it is time to start the betting. While some of us really don't care much about DCI corps, it is still interesting to watch the DYNAMICS involved. The trends are interesting to watch ....

The recent shows in Tennessee showed some interesting changes, and close scores at the top! Just two weeks to go now.

My predictions are shown below! Let's hear YOUR thoughts and predictions too!

1. Cadets 99.00
2. Blue Devils 98.80
3. Cavaliers 98.00
4. Carolina 97.00
5. Phantom 96.00
6. Santa Clara 95.00
7. Boston 94.50
8. Blue Coats 94.00
9. Madison 90.00
10. Blue Stars 89.00
11. Blue Knights 88.00
12. Spirit 87.00
13. Troopers 86.00
14. Glassmen 85.00
15. Academy 84.00
16. Crossmen 83.00
17. Colts 82.50

--------------------------------------------------------------------

What did you do in the Corps? drummer; quartermaster 1964-66, ass't drum instructor 1964-70

What years were you a Corps member? 1958 -1963

Re: 2011 DCI PREDICTIONS

Dave,

Don't know if you looked at last nights Georgia show. Blue Devils were 0.7 higher than Cadets and close to 1.4 over the Cavaliers.

Still have a week of head-to-head competition but I'd move the Blue Devils up to first. Seem to have been able to modify their show with more impact on increasing their score than the others.

Don't have a clue what actual scores might be but at this point I'd say the Blue Devils with the Cadets close (within 0.5). The Cavaliers, Carolina and the rest of the usual suspects seem to be falling further behind.

Good point John, I hadn't seen those scores. Might have changed my mind if I had. But, it will be close. I notice that the Cadets have been behind in Visual (especially performance) for some time, but are cleaning up a bit. If they continue, they could still do it. But the Blue Devils aren't going to just sit back and wait.

This will be interesting ....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

What did you do in the Corps? drummer; quartermaster 1964-66, ass't drum instructor 1964-70

I think the Kilties will pull it out in the end...

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Frankly , I'd rather see the Kilts (1964 or 1968 .. or later) win instead of the current batch.

---------------------------------------------------------

I've been keeping track as well of these contest's
as the season has been moving on.In the beginning
of the season it looked like another Cavalier
winning season,now everything has changed a lot in
the last few weeks.Cavaliers started out strong.BD
and the Cadets still had problems fine tuning their
music,drill and whatever else they lacked in.Now it
seems they have found their groove and are peaking
at the right time,just before the big one.

My predictions at Indy,and I'm going to go out on a
limb here,Cadets,Blue Devils and the Cavaliers,in
that order,the rest is up for grabs.

We shall see in a couple of weeks.

i

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963

Recent show: Blue Devils, Cadets and Cavaliers (in that order) ... all within ONE POINT!

This could be a photo finish!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or an oil painting (old Spike Jones line).

Hey! The scores are getting even closer. What are YOUR predictions?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, it will be the same three in the top spots, although the order could get exciting. Madison looks to be higher than recent years, and Spirit should be back in finals again.

I'm thinking,in a close race, I'd have to go with the Blue Devils - DCI doesn't mind someone winning three times in a row, although that almost guarantees they won't win next year - nobody's ever done it four straight in DCI.

Crown has a GREAT show....a real crowd pleaser ... and BTW they do some horn pyrotechnics that's incredible! I know nothing about percussion....that being said, I suspect that Crown could sneak into the top 3. IMO, they deserve it.

Oh yeah, almost forgot.....the Phantom Regiment show is beautiful.....elegant!

I'm going to the Semi's on Friday....returning home on Saturday Morning....don't care who wins....the musicianship/showmanship of all the groups are awesome!

What did you do in the Corps? Soprano

What years were you a Corps member? 61-62 Cadets..... 63-67 Imperial

Blue Devils with Cadets very close or maybe Cadets with Blue Devils close. Cavaliers don't seem to be able to keep up neither do the others. Would like to see Madison move into Elite 8 but most likely will be Boston.

Well everyone the countdown has started,it'll be
just a matter of days and we will find out who the
winner will be after all these weeks of long road
trips,gruelling practices,hot sticky weather,
sleepng on gymnasium floors,etc,etc.

Not sure that this is an OMEN of any sort, but the Blue Devils organization seems to have retained it's strength in OPEN class this year ...

Blue Devils B cinched its third straight Open Class World Championship with a score of 95.00 at the Open Class Finals in Michigan City, Ind. on Tuesday, Aug. 9, edging out the Oregon Crusaders by three tenths of a point. The Devils join the ranks of only two other Open Class corps and four corps in any division that have won three times in a row.

==================================

Here are the results... how did YOUR prediction compare?

DCI World Championship Finals

Place Corps Score
World Class
1 Cadets 98.350
2 Blue Devils 97.800
3 Cavaliers 96.850
4 Carolina Crown 95.300
5 Phantom Regiment 95.050
6 Santa Clara 92.200
7 Bluecoats 92.050
8 Boston Crusaders 90.650
9 Blue Knights 89.200
10 Madison Scouts 87.550
11 Blue Stars 86.200
12 Spirit of Atlanta 85.350

============================

Kilts didn't pull it out...

I said Blue Devils with Cadets close or Cadets with Blue Devils close. I saw both corps earlier in the season when scores were in the high 70s. Cadets had an entertaining show (but would have been better if George Hopkins played the devil). Blue Devils best music--something popular and recognizable. I suspect the Blue Devils were subjectively penalized for their choice of music.

Anyway, no three years in a row for Concord. Looks like Madison won't be in the elite 8 but Boston moved into the 8th spot. Denver was in 9th (maybe their highest placement)and Spirit of Atlanta is back in the top 12. And it is always good to see the Cavaliers fade after early season wins.

Good representation of geographic areas--far west, mountain, midwest, mideast (Ohio), northeast and southeast.

Hey John...
Glad the BD's did not 3-Peat although I too loved the music. Garfield Had a great show....BIG SOUND...nice visuals and NO'PROPS'. Might there be some hope for the future????

I too enjoy when the Cavies fade at the end of the season. I harbor no ill-will against the kids (they are awesomely talented). I just do not want to hear need any Cavie-Crap for the next year from the Alumni!

What years were you a Corps member? 61-62 Cadets - 63-67 Imperials

Thanks for the input guys. I didn't see any of the corps this year but:

1. I am always happy when corps play recognizable music and props are NOT used

2. Cadets program sounded very good ... music and "theme" (although I don't find it necessary to have "themes").

3. Cavaliers: stilts? Upside down players? What is that all about?
Just play music (IMHO)!

4. It is ALWAYS good to have a corps in maroon WIN!
====================================

Dave,

Half (the Devil side) of the Garfield corps wore all maroon. Only other time I enjoyed the Cadets was their 2002 show that was a tribute to 911 (they were still based in New York then).

Bill,

Don't know what more I can say about the Blue Devils. Only wish I could listen to them sit down and play a concert like a jazz band for a couple of hours. The keyboard and use of a trap set in the pit make the sound more like Stan Kenton's bands. They've had the same arranger for 30 years or so.

It's always nice when the Cavaliers don't finish
on top.
Well at least I was right on 1st-2nd-and 3rd place
I didn't want to include the scores in my
predictions because I'm sure I would probably be
way off on that part.Maybe next time.

Any interesting reports from alums who visited Indy for DCI week?

=================================

One word......WOW!

As much as I miss Old School Drum Corps..(sorry it ain't ever coming back)....the musicianship of these youngsters is incredible.

What years were you a Corps member? 61-62 Cadets.....63-67 Imperials

Re; musicianship. Yeah I have to agree. But, it is the "program" that I dislike. As for musicianship, I went to Ravinia last Sunday and listened to the CSO .. now THAT was musicianship! (Yes, I know it was DIFFERENT.)

Yep, "old school" drum corps isn't coming back, at least not via DCI. DCA still has that flavor though.

===================================

Go Pioneer!

@Dave....I seriously wonder if the better/best players of our era would past the auditions and be qualified to play in any of the top 12 corps......these kids are that good!!!!!!!!

What years were you a Corps member? 61-62 Cadets.....63-67 Imperials

Re: musicianship ....

Bill, I BELIEVE you. Others have said this and I have heard them too.
Yep, the players are GOOD!

It is the programs (most) that I don't like. If others do, great for them.

Tell us a bit more about what the corps presented and how it hit you.

BTW - it also seems like the "same old, same old" with DCI to me. Same corps, same results.
======================================

The kid down the street just asked to be taught to play a horn; he wants to try out for the Bluecoats next season. Should I tell him he has a good chance?

To enjoy today's drum corps the most, I feel that you just can't get much involved with placement (1st, 2nd, etc.) and just enjoy the heck out of watching these youngsters perform. Being there live is especially enjoyable. I try to see every corps and enjoy that corps at its own level of achievement. Many people leave the stadium before the scores are announced... not a bad idea, except... then I would miss the encore which is put on by this or that corps, to end the night. I like the encores too.

Bill,

If he's just starting on the horn, I would imagine he has virtually no chance of making the line in Bluecoats - or any other corps - for next year. That is a major change from the old days - kids can't walk in off the street and expect to perform with modern drum corps. But that started changing in the late 70s and early 80s for many corps.

I was being facetious, Bob. I know how tough it is to make a World Class corps nowadays. There is an Open Class corps that is fairly new, in Kalamazoo, MI. It is called Legends. I wonder if such a kid could just walk in on them and ask them to teach him/her.

Bill in answer to your question about the best horn
players of our time, would they be able to pass the
auditions they have today,probably not.One reason
I would think of is they don't have a music major
from a school.I'm sure that's one requirement they
needed to audition.

The one requirement that anyone needed to join
Norwood or any other Drum Corps as far as I
remember was the desire to "LEARN".

Of course their good, their major is music.That
explains it all.

How many of us had that talent when we joined a
Drum Corps, I sure didn't, I didn't know my left
from my right,=== but after all these years I still
remember.

If someone joined Norwood and had any taste of
musical experience, I always thought great for
them and good for us, but that happened very,very
seldom.

It's a whole different ballgame now, too bad.

Very few drum corps members in the 40s, 50s, and 60s read music coming into the corps, though many picked it up fairly well if they were around long enough. That was partly why many corps had feeder units in those days - it gave them a head start when the kids were old enough to move up to the 'A' corps. Drummers would usually learn by rote (someone else playing the part for them), and horn players devised all kinds of interesting methods, including color-coding notes as either valve, rotary, both, or open (I guess that method was easier when there was only one valve!).

I recollect that when I joined the Cadets I was one of the few kids who could read music. Had taken piano lessons at age 8 or 9.

When I got to the Imperials I do recollect some of the older guys used colors to indicate the keys (open, valve, rotor or valve and rotor). Also was surprised that all music was written in treble cleft. Expected Bass-baritone and Contra parts to be in bass cleft. Guess that was part of the situation which resulted from most kids having limited skill at reading music.

Much of the drum music written out during that period was written incorrectly, because the arrangers (who also weren't music majors) were more writing patterns, then transferring them to paper as best they could. You would often find the wrong number of beats in measures and other problems, but it didn't matter because the judges never saw the written music - and most of THEM couldn't have read it either!

I recall management and staff just being happy to have an additional warm body in the horn line. It would be a jackpot if they could even read music.

Makes you appreciate the patience instructors like Dick Snyder must have had. Work all day, drive 45 minutes to practice and try and teach a pack of loud teenagers of varying experience how to somehow play together. Amazing!

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone

What years were you a Corps member? 70's

AMEN! Evenings during the winter in the Edgewood(?) Field House with the Cadets, drums back in the kitchen, horns in a side room, guard in the main hall, then putting it together at the end of the night. Munzer would sing the parts to us, and Dad remembered some of those phrases well into his Alzheimer's. Mr. Snyder was a drum corps man from way back (though I didn't know that at the time). Of course, his family was also about half the corps at times...

Edgebrook Park Field House, probably. What great stories! Talk about "love of the 'game'!" Precious people in our pasts, people like these!

The park Bob mentioned might have been Edgebrook Park ... north of Devon and east of Caldwell. But, it actually sounds more like the fieldhouse in the forest preserve at the Billy Caldwell golf course. This is west of Central, between Elston and Devon.

Regardless ... the people we had as instructors were marvelous and were usually very patient!

=======================================

It was "Edge..." something, anyway! I remember it always seemed so dark there, like the fieldhouse was buried way back in the woods. I remember it being a fairly large facility, but remember, I was 11 years old the last time I practiced there! You would enter the main building directly into the main hall; the drum room (kitchen) was to the right, and the horn room was to the left.

Sounds like EDGEBROOK WOODS .. which is a part of the forest preserve along Central Ave .. between Elston and Caldwell.

It was WAY BACK in the woods. You entered on a street which curved through the (very dark) woods to a big fieldhouse. There were several rooms, including a fairly large main hall, kitchen too. The Imperials used it for drum line practices many times ...

=======================================