Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Blue Rock isn't gone

Last night I saw something on tv about a minor league baseball team. They were from Wilmington Delaware. And guess what the teams name is...BLUE ROCK!

Maybe we need a team in the Chicago area named The Imperials.

What did you do in the Corps? baritone and Drum Major

What years were you a Corps member? 1968-1972

Re: Blue Rock isn't gone

Blue Rock was always a mystery to me. First, why were their uniforms YELLOW?! But mostly, why didn't they go to the first DCI Nationals in 1972? Based on their scores throughout the season, they would have easily made finals - probably as high as 7th or 8th. They ceased being a national contender immediately after that. They had several great drum lines in the late 60s/early 70s.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Yes, Blue Rock WAS a bit of a mystery to us in the midwest. They were a BIG deal out East tho. Their drum line (taught by Joe Morello) was excellent.

Not sure why they disappeared, but it might have been money troubles. I know they took an extensive trip to California (1972 I think, maybe 1973) and had major equipment troubles. Seem to recall that they had two busses break down, received some help from the Troopers.
=======================================

What did you do in the Corps? drummer; quartermaster 1964-66, ass't drum instructor 1964-70

What years were you a Corps member? 1958 -1963

I always thought of them as another "what if" corps - like Norwood in 1970. What if they HAD attended the first DCI and made finals? And what if Norwood had planned on competing at nationals in 1970, and had made finals (which I have always believed they had a shot at)?

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Bob, interesting 'what-ifs'

1. Blue Rock 1972 .. looking back at their scores, I'd say that they SHOULD HAVE made DCI Finals easily that year. They had been beating most of the lower finalists. Don't know why they didn't go. Might be an interesting question to ask a Blue Rock alumnus.

2. Imperials 1970. It is POSSIBLE that the Imperials could have made VFW Finals that year, but it would be a stretch. They were close to the Black Knights most of the year and could have edged them for the 12th spot. But, they didn't go. Money again?

===================================

What did you do in the Corps? drummer; later- quartermaster 1964-66; ass't drum instr 1964-70

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63