Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Small World

We had a meeting of new parents on Thursday night, trying to get them interested in PTA and other parent activities for the year. While talking to one couple, I asked where they were from, and they said Illinois. The husband was from Chicago. When I asked about the wife, she said "I'm from a pretty small town - you probably never heard of it - JOLIET." Turns out she lived just blocks away from where I lived growing up!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Re: Small World

another escapee from Joliet!

===================================

What did you do in the Corps? drummer; quartermaster 1964-66, ass't drum instructor 1964-70

What years were you a Corps member? 1958 -1963

At Meet the Faculty Night last night at St. Viator High School my daughter's physic's teacher introduced herself to the parents of that class, walked us through the course goals and discussed her expectations.

On the way out, I asked the teacher if by chance she was related to a Hank Grana as the teacher's last name was also Grana. She said that she is related to Hank and that Hank is her brother-in-law. I said that I used to march in the Imperials and that I vaguely knew him from when he taught us our drills. Her face lit up and she said that she to was an Imperial alumni.

The bell was ringing and we had to move onto the next class but it was a pretty nice small world drum corp story as I am sure my daughter will get an A from Mrs. Jan Grana (although I may have jinxed it by telling her I marched one year in the Cavies.)

Of course my daughter Annie was completely embarrassed by the whole conversation when I told her.

I served on a professional society committee with a man how lives at Oriole and Palatine Avenue--one block away from where I grew up.

I also served on another committee with a man how marched in the Madison Scouts the same time I did in Norwood. He and I had actually worked together on that activity for about three years before he casually mentioned Madison.

I tend to get a lot of these "small world" encounters primarily due to my profession and most related to grad school at Northwestern or employment early in my career.

Actually, these "small world" encounters happen A LOT, IF you are tuned in to people and really listen to what they are saying, where they are from, their names, etc. Take time to listen and talk.
-----------------------------------------
Remember my story from last Fall:

Asked a contractor to visit to estimate some home repairs today.
The guy's name was Jim Heitman .. and I asked, do you have a family member named Doug Heitman? (Doug Heitman was the assistant manager of the Cavalier Cadets when my son marched with them. A great guy.)

The answer was YES, that is his brother. BOTH of them marched in the (ugh) Cavaliers in the mid 1960s.
------------------------------------------------

The stories posted here are similar. You never know when you'll meet someone with a connection.

====================================

What did you do in the Corps? drummer; later- quartermaster 1964-66; asst. drum instr. 1964-70

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Pete,

I'm guessing that would be Jan Kramer, and she married Tom Grana. Jan was marching in the corps when I was in the first time (72-73), and Tom was teaching marching. Her parents were also active, and her dad Mark helped my dad on the truck in 73, including riding all the way to New Orleans in that thing! The corps members had a bet on how far the truck would make it, but when we arrived at the hotel on the busses, Dad and Mark were sitting by the pool, having parked the truck right under the hotel sign at the entrance.

My brother Steve later stayed with the Kramers for a while when he was attending DeVry in Chicago. So next time you see her, tell her Bob Shreffler said hello, and ask how her folks are doing.

Your "small world" just got a little bigger!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79