Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"COLOR GUARDS"

A recent post on another thread spoke rather disdainfully about color guards prior to the 1970s ... speaking of the Imperials guard of 1970-73: "We were not just markers on the field for the rest of the corps!"

While the writer has every reason to be proud of the Imperials guard during those years, it is really unfair to belittle the work of previous guards.

In fact, the "color guards" of today are NOT "COLOR GUARDS" at all!
They should probably be called "auxiliary units".

When drum corps was a new and smaller activity, the GUARD was exactly that .. a group to carry and protect the American Flag (the colors) and other related flags .. state, sponsor, etc. That was their PRIMARY task .. and a worthy one, most thought. DCI, in their wisdom, has decided to forgo the inclusion of our country's Flag in drum corps programs, so that function is no longer needed.

As drum corps grew in size, most corps used flags and "guide-ons" to help mark spaces and intervals for the corps members during the drill. While some may think this unimportant, it was NOT. These members provided an important function.

Later, in the 1960s, some corps started to use "working flags" as part of their programs. The Imperials, under the guidance of Rick Maass, was among the first to make extensive use of this practice. Yes, the guard still performed the earlier duties, but the group now included many colorful flags, with visual work added to enhance the music and drill.

Over time, this has evolved quite a bit. Now you see elaborate uniforms for the "guard" and extensive routines (including dance) for these members. While these at times do relate to the corps music and drill, these routines have often taken on a life of their own. Not all spectators appreciate this evolution.

Others may want to add to / comment on this "history"!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What did you do in the Corps? drummer; quartermaster 1964-66; asst. drum instr. 1964-70

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Re: "COLOR GUARDS"

When I think of the Imperials color guard, I always think of them "space walking" onto the field in the early 70s. As most of you remember, while the corps performing on the field was finishing their show, the next corps would start coming onto the field (since everyone started their show off the field, this didn't interfere). Norwood's guard would not only be walking slowly, but like there was no gravity with exaggerated arm and leg movements. But, if I remember correctly, they were told to stop by contest officials who found it distracting for the corps still performing (and I guess it kind of was).

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Re: "COLOR GUARDS"

Imperials guards:

. I remember them winning the 1962 VFW Color Guard championship
. When I marched, they were helpful with guiding us poor playing members to find where we needed to be.
. They provided good visual support to our musical program ..both in musical terms and color. Instructors such as Maas, Czapinski, Grana, O'Kelley and others did that.
. They were (when I marched) always a part of the corps.. NOT a separate "auxiliary unit", with it's own program.

Just saying
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

What did you do in the Corps? drummer; quartermaster 1964-66; asst. drum instr. 1964-70

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63