Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ANN GRANA - IMPERIALS MOM

Message received from Renee Grana Knutson ......
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
March 14, 2012

Dear Friends and Drum Corps Family,

Even though it was decades ago -- for so many of us, it seems like only yesterday that we were donning Battle Jackets, Shakos, Bucks and Boots. And for so many of our parents, it may very well seem like only yesterday that they were parade-side or in the stands rooting us on.

Well, as we all know, time is marching on (no pun intended) and with that march comes passages.

At the age of 84 and after two broken hips and five eye surgeries, our mom and former Imperial chaperone and Mother’s Club President, Ann Grana, is embarking on yet another life passage – a move into assisted living.

Being the trooper that she is (again, no pun intended), mom is approaching this new passage with her signature resolve, optimism and humor.

Still and all, it’s an adjustment. And for those of you who may remember her, and/or for those of you who would like to soften this passage for her, please know that a card or a note from you would surely be appreciated.

Know that mom is as sharp as a tack, as funny and as witty as ever and that she often says that the happiest days of her life were on Mobile Ave when the drum corps kids were around. Her address at her new assisted living residence is:

Ann Grana
Arbor View Communities
34201 Arbor Lane, Room 214
Burlington, WI 53105

Whether or not you have a moment to write, please know that on the behalf of our mom, we thank you for the warm memories that you gave her.

Best wishes to you all,

Renee Grana Knutson & Marie Grana Smith
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

What did you do in the Corps? drummer; quartermaster 1964-66; asst. drum instr. 1964-70

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Re: ANN GRANA - IMPERIALS MOM

I hope Ann has many more happy years in front of her. Where would the Imperials have been without the Grana's?!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Not sure about this, but it is possible that there was a Grana in the corps for all the years that the Imperials were a competitive corps .. from the mid-1940s right to the end. Just about 40 years!

That includes not only as marching members, but as chaperones, manager, instructors, drivers, helpers, Mother's Club, etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What did you do in the Corps? drummer; quartermaster 1964-66; asst. drum instr. 1964-70

That would be interesting to research! I can personally vouch for 1970, 71, 72, 73, 78, and 79.

Our family used to stay with Buddy Grana and his family (wife Rita, sons Gary, Glenn, and Greg, and daughter Renee) most weekends during the summer. Lots of fun Friday nights watching Screaming Yellow Theater and making Mama Susa's Pizzas while the parents went out. And Glenn's paper-rolling maching waking us up in the morning.

Bob, I am pretty sure that in the period from 1973, when Buddy Grana left as manager, and winter of 1977, when Hank Grana became M and M instructor, there were no Grana's involved actively with the field corps. That said there were still Grana's that participated actively. Frank Grana Sr. was a member of the board until at least early summer of 1974 and Caroline Grana remained active for a number of years with the Mother's Club. The only other Grana, I can remember participating during that period, was Marie who came one time to evaluate the guard, but was unable to do more due to her judging.

I must add that the advice and direction I received from Frank Sr., Greg, and Hank were invaluable in the rebuilding the Imps in the late 70's and without them, and many others, none of it would have been possible considering my complete lack of drum corps knowledge.

Since this thread is about Ann Grana, I would appreciate knowing her relationship to the Grana's since it is unknown to those of us who participated in the late 70's and early 80's.

Dear Bob&Jim,

Thanks for the response to the letter I sent out regarding my mom, Ann Grana. There are so many Grana's, it is easy to get confused. Adding to the confusion are the facts that there are multiple Greg Grana's and multiple Marie Grana's (all named after a Grandpa Greg and Aunt Marie of generations past). Let me see if I can shed some light on the matter. There were three Grana families that participated in the Imperials -- each headed by one of three Grana brothers (Frank, the eldest, Greg his brother who was 12 years younger than Frank and Phil who was approximately 16 years younger than Frank). The first Grana family to enter the Imperials was that of the Frank Grana, Sr. Frank, Sr. (my uncle) was married to Caroline and their children (who all participated with the Imperials)are Greg (nickname Buddy), Hank, Frank, Marie and Tom. The second Grana family to participate in the Imperials was the Greg Grana family. This Greg was Frank Sr.'s junior brother by 12 years (and was Buddy Grana's uncle), Ann Grana's husband, and father to Renee and Marie Grana. I, Renee Grana, marched with the cadets from approximately 1962-1966 and with the A Corps from approximately 1967-1970-71. My sister Marie's time in the corps(that's Greg Grana's Marie not Frank Grana's Marie)began around 1965 in the Cadets and lasted into A Corps until approximatley 1973. Our mom, Ann Grana, served as both an Imperial chaperone and a Mother's Club president during the late 60s and early 70s. Additionally, she spent many days of her life working with Auntie Caroline in the alterations of drum corps uniforms. The third Grana family to participate in the Imperials was that of the Phil Grana family. His daughter, Lynn, is a contemporary of my sister Marie's and Lynn marched about the same time that Marie did. I cannot really speak to how many Grana's after my generation participated; I'd really have to defer that to one of my cousins. I could expand upon the other family members (from my mom's side) who marched, but that would only confuse matters. I sure hope that unties the Gordian knot a little. Please know that my dates may be a little bit off, and I'll gladly defer to any corrections by my cousins. Best wishes, Renee Grana Knutson

What did you do in the Corps? Flag Bearer in the Color Guard

What years were you a Corps member? 1962-1966 in the Cadets; 1967-1970-71 in the A Corps

Gosh, Renee .. what a story, and what a family!
Talk about an Imperial- focused family! Thanks for the info.

But.. too many Gregs, Maries and Franks! We get confused.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Renee,

Thank you for the clarification (ignore Dave - he can barely remember his own name). I would love to get in touch with Buddy's family after all these years. If you know how to contact any of them, please email me at my address above.

Thank you!