Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Orlando Show (a bit long, so get comfortable!)

I had a great day yesterday, partly because the rain never appeared (we're making up for it today, though). My son and I started at Cavalier rehearsal, where I ran into some alumni I didn't know were traveling with the corps, which is always nice. We actually spent longer in the parking lot talking than we did watching rehearsal! The rehearsal was interesting. The biggest thing I always notice is how nice the staff is to the corps members (certainly not the case when I marched) - didn't hear a curse word the entire time! Drum line is definitely more solid than the rest of the corps, and they have lots of cleaning to do, but they didn't appear as bad as the internet would have had me believe. I doubt they can win, but could probably still be top 5. And they continue to eat like kings on the road!

The show that night was great (I know, I should have told you to sit down before I wrote that line)! I haven't seen a show live in at least 8 years, although I've seen a couple of DVD's and movie presentations. DCI has done a lot to make the entire evening very entertaining, and while it is certainly not what we did, it makes for a fun evening (I know - I can't believe I'm typing this either!). They started with entertainment in the marketplace (where they sell souvenirs), including the Jammitors from Disney World (former drum corps drummers who perform on trash cans at Epcot - I've talked to them many times in the park).

Crossmen were first in competition, after an exhibition (no marching) by Tampa Bay Thunder (who looked to have bought Phantom's old khaki uniforms, along with their New World show - note for note). Crossmen did Pat Metheny music around the theme "Fragile" - another "Save the Earth" show that they are famous for. They were quite good, though obviously not at the same level as the others. They had black silhouettes of people that stood all around the field that made the corps look twice its normal size. Very entertaining and crowd-friendly.

Next were Carolina Crown, the eventual winners. Wow! Their show is non-stop, almost dizzying to watch. It would take several viewings to catch it all. They appear to me to be a direct descendant of Star of Indiana in many ways, but with more recognizable music ("Fanfare for the Common Man"). They even change the trim on their uniform jackets at one point, but you don't really notice it for a while. Constant movement, solid horn line, good guard.

Cavaliers were next, and while they were much better from up top and in uniform, and clearly on a higher level than Crossmen, they are not - at least yet - on the level of Crown or Cadets. Surprisingly, they make the most use of amplification, to the point of distraction. There were several times when the snare line is playing what sounds to be clean, but there is some type of fuzz sound in the pit that dirties it up. They have a young corps, and a young staff, and it shows a bit. But it's still early. Unfortunately, I wasn't crazy about the show itself, which is mostly just confusing. They don't play any song long enough to really figure out what it is.

Cadets were last, and their show is Christmas music. Very fun and entertaining! They are all in white now, like the drum majors used to be, but it works with the holiday music. They do a ballad of "Do You Hear What I Hear" that is just gorgeous, bouncing sound off the back stands. Their drum line, to me, was clearly the cleanest of the night. They do an amazing jazz arrangement of "Jingle Bells" that knocks your socks off! The biggest surprise from them was what they DIDN'T do. As much as George Hopkins likes to go over the top with everything, they made the least use of amplification and non-drum corps sounds in the pit of anyone. In fact, the only thing I really remember is a recording of Linus from the Charlie Brown Christmas cartoon telling the true meaning of Christmas near the end of the show, which was actually well done and quite appropriate.

The night was most memorable for the changes they have made. The performances basically start when the corps enters the field - the setup and warmp melt into the show, and the announcer has a set spot in each corps to do the introductory announcement. I liked that!

But most interesting is that each corps did its own "encore". After finishing their actual competitive show, they "arc it up" on the front sideline and play a couple more numbers. Cavaliers played "Bully" and the corps song/Rainbow medley (expected); Crossmen brought back "Russian Christmas Music" from the 70's; Crown completely switched moods from their very serious field show with some jazz and rock numbers; and Cadets continued with the Christmas theme (I swear it even got colder). While this is obviously not traditional at all, it was really fun!

Sorry to say it for you really old farts, but DCI is making some positive changes and some smart decisions! Never thought I'd say that! Now I plan on seeing quarter finals at the movies.

Sorry this was so long, but it's raining and there's nothing else to do!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Re: Orlando Show (a bit long, so get comfortable!)

I note that based on DCI's rankings (average score during week, I think), the Cavaliers are 7th behind Madison in 6th and Bluecoats, Phantom, Cadets, Blue Devils and Carolina. Looks like it's between Blue Devils, Carolina, and Cadets. My guess is the Cavaliers have a lot to change to contend for the top spot.

Should be interesting.

If all the corps in Orlando played an encore, I'd guess that was because of the size of the show--4 corps.

At the shows I've seen in the Bay Area it has just been the winning corps. Last Year Blue Devils reprised a couple of their old numbers "When a Man Loves a Woman," "Happy Days are Year Again," and did a verson of the "Band of Brothers" theme from the HBO series.

This year they have a more classical set. They played that at family night before the exhibitions. Their primary, is as always more jazz-swing related.

Didn't not anything in your descriptions of the other corps but the Blue Devils ended their show with a "park and blow" formation where all the horns came in tight--sort of like the early DCI years with Atlanta, Madison, and the Blue Devils.

That was the "encore" I was referring to. Each corps did that immediately after their competitive show, before leaving the field and before any scores were announced. Only drum majors came out for scores.

Think you may have got a little different twist in Orlando becasue of the small number of corps.

The competitive shows I've been to have the winner come out an play a set that is about the same length as their show.

Yes, I'm sure it was because of the small number of corps competing. But it sure was fun!