Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: DCI PREMIER EVENTS FOR 2011

Bob, I actually Phantom's line best because it seemed like the parts were written just for their show. Maybe they seemed a tiny bit more "old fashioned". It seems like drum scores are soooo similar you can't really find anything different - arm motions (visuals), one-handed sticking patterns, accent patterns. No unique sound.

Dave, the Cadets did seem really clean - but I don't care enough to check the recap.

What did you do in the Corps? Tenor, Snare, Ass't Drum Instructor

What years were you a Corps member? 60-69

John, that is what irks me about the drum lines now. They are all the SAME. Nothing unique .. and NO real rudimental drumming. Just fancy sticking and visuals.
And the drum sound is terrible.. no tonal response, just like playing on table tops. BAH!

Bring back real drum lines.. Blessed Sacrament, Boston (1960s), Black Knights, Norwood
--------------------------------------------

What did you do in the Corps? drummer; quartermaster 1964-66; asst. drum instr. 1964-70

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

I didn't see Phantom (they weren't in Orlando), and it's still so hard for me to like anything about them, but I'll take John's word for it!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

The DCI website said this about the 'premier events '.. now called the 'Tour of Champions':

The Tour of Champions features the top eight corps from the previous season, and includes opportunities for fan-member interaction with corps members, pre-show and intermission entertainment and an en-masse finale after the traditional corps performances.

Corps participating in 2012 include: Blue Devils, Bluecoats, Boston Crusaders, The Cadets, Carolina Crown, The Cavaliers, Phantom Regiment and Santa Clara Vanguard.

Sounds wonderful.

--------------------------------------------------------

What did you do in the Corps? drummer; quartermaster 1964-66; asst. drum instr. 1964-70

The intermission entertainment needs a little work or maybe a little more thought. At Rockford, they had a solo drummer in front of the stands. Some planning genius placed a group (couldn't see how many) behind the stands and as best as I could guess they were both on the same yard line. Needless to say, it all sounded like mush. Couldn't appreciate either one. Maybe the people right in front of the performer(s) could hear only one or the other but the rest of us just marveled at the talent of the soloist not moving his hands and still playing. Then again he might have been a ventriloquist - nah, couldn't be.

What did you do in the Corps? Tenor, Snare, Ass't Drum Instructor

What years were you a Corps member? 60-69

this is the 'new entertainment level'?

-------------------

See, we were WAY ahead of our time in Norwood's Cadets! In 1970 and 1971, our "concert" piece was me playing The Downfall of Paris with a rifler spinning on either side (Colleen Gill and Kim Groh in 1970, with Barbie Gill replacing her sister in 1971).

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79