Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: DCI Championship weekend

Re: Argonne Rebels.

I don't think that they really did a lot of recruiting. (We could ask Brian Pennington about that.) Sandra Opie was a music teacher in the Great Bend school system and she had developed an amazing teaching system. Most of their brass players were from Great Bend and were taught in her school program. By the time they marched in the Rebels, she had taught them for 3 or 4 years. That wasn't true of the drummers I fear.

BTW .. in the 1969s and 1970s, there were a number of other good corps in Kandsas .. so recruiting may not have been easy. Hutchinson SkyRyders, Salina Silver Sabres and the Wichita Continental Ambassadors are some I remember.

Re; DCI Prelims

If you are interested in watching, you can check the status of SCORES from prelims on the DCI website as they are released.

As with the old days of Legion Nationals, the scores are posted as they are calculated. No big board on the field, but now on the DCI SCORES page.

It looks like placements are pretty much set for finals on Saturday night. Most of the gaps last night are big enough that there probably won't be much changing in the next two days. Not too many surprises - Phantom back over Cadets, Cavaliers over both Madison and Boston, Spirit losing to Blue Knights.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

My recollection is that the kids in the brass line were taught at the grammar school level. They had a large number of girls as well.

Sort of like the old Illinois high school basketball programs. In the 60s a lot of small town high schools would win the state championship because they had kids who'd been playing as a team since grammar school.

Re: Argonne Rebels brass - John is correct. Sandra Opie had a district wide music education program .. grammar, middle and high schools. When a brass player joined the corps, he/ she had been in the program for years. And, they were good!

One more show and it is over for 2012 with what looks like the third undefeated season for the Blue Devils in four years.

More curious event occurs on Sunday when the Blue Devils go back to the stadium to do the half time show during the Indianapolis Colts football game.

And Blue Stars are out of finals! Almost a shame - it's the only time Crossmen beat them all year, and it cost them a spot in the championship. I didn't see Blue Stars, but I did see Crossmen in Orlando, and I enjoyed their show. It's their first time in finals since 2004. Boston only 0.1 behind Cavaliers, so that could still change. At least there may be some drama tonight for finals.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79