Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: IMPERIALS REPS YEAR BY YEAR

More .. 1960-63:

Stouthearted Men * Jalousie * Dancero * How High the Moon/ Tea For Two * Sorento * Persian Market * Sleep And Day Dream

Fools Rush In * Stouthearted Men * Dancero * How High the Moon/ Tea for Two * S’Wonderful * Persian Market * Sleep And Day Dream

Flying Dutchmen * Queen Of Sheba March * God Bless America (from This Is the Army) * S'Wonderful * Moonlight Serenade/ String Of Pearls/ The Song of the Volga Boatmen (Glenn Miller medley) * Helena Polka * Row Row Row * Drifting and Dreaming * Toot Toot Tootsie, Goodbye * Sleep And Day Dream

Flying Dutchmen * My Heart Tells Me * God Bless America
* S’Wonderful (Once in Love with Amy?) * Old Man River/ Mississippi Mud (from Porgy and Bess) *Helena Polka * Toot Toot Tootsie, Goodbye * Drifting and Dreaming * Harlem Nocturne * * Sleep And Day Dream

gosh, I guess that no alums really give a s*** about helping to record the corps musical programs. NO responses and NO help.

Hey, don't I count for something? I amended the 71, 72, 78, and 79 reps!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

oops .. sorry. you are right! Thanks

Here are a few more years ... but I need to reasearch 1964 a bit more!

The War March of the Priests * Beautiful Savior *

You Go To My Head * Semper Fidelis * Moon Love (from Tschaikovsky’s 5th Symphony) * Columbia, the Gem of the Ocean * Night and Day/ My Baby Just cares for Me * Say Si-Si * Whiffenpoof Song * The High And The Mighty

On A Wonderful Day Like Today (from Roar of the Greasepaint) * Who Can I Turn To (from Roar of the Greasepaint) * Malaguena * It's A Long Way To Tipperary * My Buddy (from I'll See You In My Dreams) * Walking My Baby Back Home

Here are some more years 1968-71 (I have nothing for 1967). As alweays, let me hear from you.

Dixie * Yankee Doodle Dandy * My Country 'Tis of Thee * Going Out Of My Head * All Or Nothing At All

Caribi * Fanfare For Americans * Don't Rain on My Parade (from Funny Girl) * Going Out Of My Head * Theme from Odd Couple * The High And The Mighty

Victory For All * El Cid * Half The Battle * It Ain't Necessarily So (from Porgy and Bess) * Summertime (from Porgy and Bess) * Alexander's Ragtime Band * A Day In The Life Of A Fool

Bicycle Built for Joy * Ave Maria * Can Can * A Day in the Life of a Fool

I can't remember the name of the song from 1971 that went into concert and concert! I can sing it note for note - it featured a mellophone solo by Jack Pearson, then a couple of soprano solos in the concert portion - but I cannot remember the name of it!

1967 Rep
Fanfare - Malaguena - Steal Wool (drum solo) - Who Can I Turn To? - Yesterday (concert) - By The Sea - New Improved Ajax (drum solo) Mr. Jones (flag pres medley) - 32 (drum solo) - All Or Nothing At All - Closing Fanfare

Jim Middleton started naming drum solos in '67. Bill Strauts continued the tradition when he returned. I can't remember the name of the drum solo before closer - I think it was called S.O.S. because it was supposed to be cleaner than the solo it replaced.

1964 Rep
War March of the Priests - My Heart Tells Me (Dave I believe you suggested this song if my memory is correct) - 32 (drum solo)- God Bless America (flag pres medley) - Once In Love With Amy - Old Man River + ? (concert medley) - More (Theme from Mondo Cane) - Drifting and Dreaming (Rplaced by 434 also known as Beautiful Saviour in mid-season - I think the Racine show was 1st time) - 64 (drum solo) - Helena Polka - 64 (drum solo) - Sleep - Old Man River Reprise (closing fanfare)

In 1966, I think the song coming out of concert was Dancero - not Malguena.

What did you do in the Corps? Tenor-Snare-Ass't Drum Instructor

What years were you a Corps member? 60-69

"Show Time on Broadway," "A Wonderful Day Like Today," "Who Can I Turn To When Nobody Needs Me," "Spanish Medeley," "The Breeze and I," "I May Be Wrong," "Dansero," "It's a Long Way To Tipperary," "My Buddy," "Walkin My Baby Back Home."

"A Wonderful Day Like Today" and "Who Can I Turn To When Nobody Needs Me" were from the Musical "The Roar of the Greasepaint, the Smell of the Crowd." The Arrangements weee based on a Sammy Davis Jr album "Sammy's Back on Broadway"

"The Breeze and I" and "I May Be Wrong" were arrangements written by Bill Hayes the Blessed Sacrament arranger(mid-1950s to 1961) when they had the best junior corps hornline. I May Be Wrong sounds an awful lot like "Your Driving Me Crazy" that Sac played in 1958 and 1959. Hayes did that a lot of that with arrangements. In 1965 he wrote for the Miami Vanguard. They played a song "Can't Get Over the Bossa Nova" that sounds just like Por Favor which Sac played in 1959, 1960 and 1961.

We started the 1966 Season playing Moon Love (a hold over from 1965) in the early shows but replaced it with "Dancero." Norwood played "Dancero" in 1960 and 1961 but the arrangement 1966 was much different. it was based on a Doris Day cut off an album called "Latin for Lovers." The sound, like the Bill Hayes concert arrangements, was close to Sac of early 1960s.

Probably too much information, but Ted Orland and I sold Brian on using a Wonderful Day Like to Day and Who Can I Turn To. My family had attended a performance of the musical Broadway in 1965. I also wanted Brian to replace Moon Love with either "Por Favor" or "Dansero." I think Brian chose "Dansero" because if we played "Por Favor" we might as well have put on Black and Gold Uniforms--Sal Ferrara (Cavalier's brass instructor) hated judging us in 1966 because we sounded too much like Sac.

The 1965 and 1966 corps were the only years I was in Norwood that we had completely different repitore's from the previous season. In all my previous years Norwood (and most other corps) would play some of the songs from the previous season ("Sleep" was one that seemed to been the closer for five seasons). Corps like the Cavaliers (Somewhere Over the Rainbow) and Madison (You'll Never Walk Alone) kept what became signature songs for several seasons. I think the DCI versions of the Cavaliers and Madison both play these songs as warmups. I've noticed that with the Blue Devils and Santa Clara as well.

What did you do in the Corps? 1JAnders@comcast.net

What years were you a Corps member? 59-61 Cadets 62-66 Imperials

Thanks, John A and John T, for this helpful info.

The background info is also exceptionally helpful. I remember all of it. Jim Middleton was a big help to the drum line .. great musicality and technical skills. The 'Bill Hayes' style brass arrangements were as BIG (and much needed) change from the old Eddie Riemer days.

Yes, John A ... the Imperials brass line suddenly DID have a "Sac' like sound. The arrangements were clear, musical and interesting.

1964 that John listed seems correct

That year we changed brass instructors in April. Pennington changed some of the arrangements and added More and the Beautiful Savior. He also modified the end of Once in Love with Amy radically and when I listen to that now it just seems like two different corps. More was a very short song but it sounds completely different than the rest of the arrangements. A preview of the sound we had in 1965 and 1966.

I still wished we'd played "Por Favor." If you asked me what song, arrangement and sound was most representative of that era, I'd pick "Por Favor"--Bugles Up 1960 recording of Sac. (Same record has best recording of the Cavaliers from that era, not as good as Sac but close.) I'd pick Sac's 1963 (and 1964) concert of "Let's Face the Music and Dance" and "Give Me the Simple Life" as a close second. I think a guy named Jim Day was their brass arranger after 1961 but assume Hayes influence was there as Day had marched in SAC.

Sac also did stuff like finish a song and then there would be an eight count rest (no percusion), then the drum solo, then another eight count rest before the brass would start. Seems to me it added some to general effect but it also reduced exposure to drum execution. Not that the 1960 Sac drumline needed to risk exposure--seems to me that as well as having the best brass line their drum line was also the best.

Another piece of trivia. In late August 1965 we competed in a couple of shows in New Jersey (part of the trip with the famous New York Worlds Fair incident). The second part of our concert was "My Baby Just Cares for Me" which had a solo by Bill Blomquist. That song was also a Bill Hayes arrangement that he wrote for the Liberty Bell Cadets in the late 50s. Turns out the brass judge that day had played the solo for Liberty Bell. Recollect we had a pretty high brass execution score that day but wasn't enough to offset other captions.

Speaking of East Coast writers, I believe Caribi was written by Joe Genero (sp) - Conneticut Hurricanes. I don't recall any drum (yeah, that was before we were elevated to percussion) scores written by other than our staff.

What did you do in the Corps? Tenor-Snare-Ass't Drum Instructor

What years were you a Corps member? 60-69

John T .. I think there were a few instances of the brass charts being written by non- corps staff. Mostly, the 'percussion' stuff was in-house. In the days when Frank Arsenault was the primary instructor, he used Dick Brown to write most charts. Not sure what happened after the mid-1970s tho.

John Anderson said:

I still wished we'd played "Por Favor." If you asked me what song, arrangement and sound was most representative of that era, I'd pick "Por Favor"--Bugles Up 1960 recording of Sac. (Same record has best recording of the Cavaliers from that era, not as good as Sac but close.) I'd pick Sac's 1963 (and 1964) concert of "Let's Face the Music and Dance" and "Give Me the Simple Life" as a close second. I think a guy named Jim Day was their brass arranger after 1961 but assume Hayes influence was there as Day had marched in SAC.

.. My response: gosh, those were all GREAT tunes by Sac. Hayes had a great way of writing these corps charts which brought out the true musicality intended in the song.
...yes, Jim Day was a member of Sac and a protege of Hayes. His charts followed the same style.
---------------------------------------------------------

Sac also did stuff like finish a song and then there would be an eight count rest (no percussion), then the drum solo, then another eight count rest before the brass would start. Seems to me it added some to general effect but it also reduced exposure to drum execution. Not that the 1960 Sac drumline needed to risk exposure--seems to me that as well as having the best brass line their drum line was also the best.

.......John, the BS drum line WAS the BEST around in those days. They were not only technically excellent, but their charts were amazing.

....... Using the silent periods was probably done for effect, but there were drill things going on in those silences too. I don't remember them all, but do remember horn flash (bugles up!).

......Blessed Sacrament was a corps which did drum corps it's own way ....
arrangements, drill, drums, effect. For almost 10 years (1954- 1963) THEY were on the top and were the corps to beat.

The ability of John Anderson and John Tomaszek to remember these details from the 60's is frightening. Good job!

What did you do in the Corps? Soprano

What years were you a Corps member? 61-62 Cadets 63-67 Imperials

Bob, was it Phobus, or something like that? Or was that another year?

Donna,

That might be it! At least it sounds familiar. Where the heck have you been?

Bob, I think Jack even wrote the song.

I'm back to working full time after 2 years. (unemployment) Sure is hard to manage my time.