Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
2012 Cadets show

"12.25" That was the name of The Cadets show this year. It was all Christmas music. Am I the only one who thought it was fantastic? When I attended the show that featured 2011's top 8, The Cadets show was downright electrifying to see & hear in person! Great job! Finally, 15 minutes of Christmas music, well done, by a drum corps. Merry Christmas to the other corps in maroon and gold! And thanks!

Re: 2012 Cadets show

Bill, I never saw the Cadets in person .. but I have seen a lot of reviews of their Christmas based program. The 'professional' drum corps people .. like writers and others ... seemed to refer to the program as 'kitch' and trite. Yet, the 'paying public' seemed to really like it.

The music was well done, recognizable and easy to enjoy. A lot of corps programs can't say that. And, the Cadets were very technically proficient too!

I'd like to hear more reviews by Imperials alumni.

A corps doesn't need to be super-cute and super-creative every single year. (Just ask the Cavies... and Mr. Warren... about their '12 fiasco!) A good dose of good ole fashioned fun music, now and then, can be most delightful. That's what George and his gang did for us in '12. Let the maroon & gold go back to creativity in '13. Thanks, George. Great stuff! Bill Schaefer

I agree with Bill. I saw the show in Orlando, and it was early, so I'm sure it changed by the end of the year. But it was fun, very entertaining, and very well done (especially the drum line, which was very clean for the middle of June). Then, they played even more Christmas music in the encore performance. Believe me, in Orlando in June, it helped cool things off a little bit!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

I could make the same comment about the 2011 Blue Devils show--late 60s to 70s pop music. More entertaining for fans but it didn't jibe with the Judges. Cadets won with an esoteric show. This year the Blue Devils did what the Cadets did in 2012 and won again.

Of course we have Madison which has been going for entertainment for years and has only won twice. Still like their 1990s City of Angels show but that didn't win.

What did you do in the Corps? 1JAnders@comcast.net

What years were you a Corps member? 59-61 Cadets 62-66 Imperials

I really enjoyed the Cadets show at Rockford - visually appealing, easy to understand what I was listening to. I absolutely hated Blue Devils. If I could have got to the hot dog vendor quickly, I would have gone. Like spinning the dial on the radio. Never did figure out the coat racks. Mom always told me "If you can't say anything nice..." Well I better shut up.

What did you do in the Corps? Tenor-Snare-Ass't Drum Instructor

What years were you a Corps member? 60-69

I saw only one DCI event in 2012, and that was in mid-July. I attended with one of my grand-daughters and her boyfriend. He had never seen drum corps before. All 3 of us were blown away by the Cadets performance. It was amazingly fantastic to witness live. The Blue Devils show was clean, precise, tremendously performed by the entire corps, but lacked pizazz. It just plain didn't hit any of us 3 in an electrifying way, as did The Cadets show. Being a long-time drum corps fan, I could tell that the Devils kids were terrific in their efforts, above the other kids, but the show itself... eeegh! It didn't do a thing for me or us. I will see the DCI finals on the dvd in a month or two, and I will watch the Devils in particular, several times thru. Til then, I'll hold back some judgment. Sometimes, I have learned, I need to see and hear a corps a number of times til they grow on me. This might happen. As to the coats hanging on coat racks thru the first parts of the '12 B.D. show, I don't know what that was about. I found their whole show to be confusing and not well-conceived, but darn well played out; that's for sure! I'll report back after I review the "game film" a few times.

Interesting comments about the Cadets vs. Blue Devils. Everybody KNOWS that the BD will perform exceptionally well. But, what good is a program that has to be seen 3 or 4 times before it makes any sense (if at all)?

Come to think of it, you DO have a good point there, Dave! Some shows just smack you upside the head and maybe even thump your heart, as The Cadets show did. Several others come instantly to mind that way, for me... Blue Devils fairly recent shows about the God Father and their 1930's show; the Cavies' 007, and Machine (which is the modern kids' favorite, by far, as per a DCI ballot vote), Carolina's recent show about horse racing, Phantom's recent championship show, Spartacus ... just to name a few. They all hit me (and just about the entire audience) hard, immediately... on the first live viewing/listening, and they've all stuck in my head and heart.

Yes, Dave, you did hit it on the head. A corps should make you say, "I've gotta see these guys again... soon! THIS show is great!" BD '12 came a country mile short of doing that; I didn't care if I saw them again this year. To the contrary,I couldn't get enough of their God Father in Blue, and their 1930. Still, though, in 2012... dam, they sure can blow, rattle, thump, dance and do their thang better 'an all da res' of 'em! It ain't the kids' fault that the adults gave them a stupid program to perform. In any case, hail to the champs!

If I did go to a second show last year, I would would have planned a bathroom I mean food break around BD and avoided the crowd. Incredibly well performed garbage in my opinion.

'xactly, so it seemed to me too. We were at the same Rockford, IL, show, John. And the Cavies poorly performed their own garbage. ha ha ha

In 2012 the Blue Devils did what the Cadets did in 2011 (and what the Cadets usually do). We'll see about next year.

Right now I'm focused on baseball playoffs. Have both teams from Bay Area in that show.

What did you do in the Corps? 1JAnders@comcast.net

What years were you a Corps member? 59-61 Cadets 62-66 Imperials

Yeah, John, same here. Two teams, one each league, bay area.

Different bay, different coast. But I'm the right coast, of course.

I'll bet nobody here cares about the playoffs except you and me.

So, let's see now. SF is 0-2, Oakland is 0-2, Nationals are 1-1, Orioles are 1-1.

Wonder who's having more fun so far?

What did you do in the Corps? Drumline

What years were you a Corps member? 1960-1965

NATS ÜBER ALLES

When I first heard the cadet were doing a Christmas Show I thought the idea was nuts.......after seeing it twice, I must admit....It Worked! "Twas" indeed an entertaining/elegant show!

And to John Tomaszek....I agree with you....The Blue Devils were $#!+!

What did you do in the Corps? Soprano

What years were you a Corps member? Cadets 61-62 Imperials 63-67

Billy B, it's not often (in fact never) that I hear a drum corps show called "elegant," but, by God, you are so right! The Cadets Christmas show is truly elegant! I only wish that I had beaten you to the choice of this word. Darn it! ha ha ha ... I really enjoy listening to the CD of their "12.25" program... it's a thing of beauty. Thanks, Bill. Bill

Ha! In the 'old days' of drum corps, if your corps program was called 'elegant', you'd be laughed at!

Rather than elegant, then, what adjectives and adverbs would not be laughed at, Dave? Which ones would a corps like to be called?

With my simplistic mind....maybe I should have posted Entertaing, Elegant AND Understandable.

What did you do in the Corps? Soprano

What years were you a Corps member? Cadets 61-62 Imperials 63-67

Larry,

As of this morning, the Giants and A's are both 2-2. We'll see what happens today. Having been through this before, it is really something special when both teams from the same metro area play in the World Series. A lot different than dealing with the Cubs and Sox.

Larry,

I also find that the west coast baseball teams and football teams don't get the national play I see for Boston, New York, Washington and Chicago. The A's are a real story--bunch of kids with low salaries. Rookie pitchers and no big time closer.

well, I certainly have NO interest in professional baseball ... overpaid and underworked stars. I, personally, much prefer college baseball.

But, about 'elegant': that is interesting. Never would have thought to use that word as a descriptor for a drum corps show. But, it can be appropriate ...
think back to earlier SCV shows for example.

More likely: Entertaining , enjoyable, memorable, understandable, pleasing. Also: Musical, fun,impressive, well performed, precise.

...loud, balls-to-the-wall...

We need "The Devastation" (1978 Imperials should remember that one)!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Ah yes - while I wasn't around in '78, the bloody your ears sound of The Devestaion sounds like good music (in my head)...

What did you do in the Corps? Tenor - Snare - Ass't Drum Instructor

What years were you a Corps member? 60-69

OMG. Must respond to "balls to the walls!" That took me back...Springfield in particular and Tom Billadeau! Yikes!

What did you do in the Corps? Horn line-French Horn majority

What years were you a Corps member? 1976-1980