Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Have you ever have a corps' program grow on you?

Have you ever have a corps' program grow on you? i.e. The more you saw it, the more you liked it. Which ones? And, with a show that you didn't like at first, how many times did you see it before you liked it? Which ones? I have had a few such experiences.

Re: Have you ever have a corps' program grow on you?

This is a good question. Bill. Of course, we have to remember that all corps CHANGE their programs over the season, so there would be some effect from that.

Having done this 'drum corps thing' for over 50 years, there are so many corps programs and impressions in my head that it is hard to give specifics in answer to your question.

But, yes, there are corps which 'grew' on me over the year (the more I saw it, the more I liked it). And, some which were not great at first, but improved. There were also some which were terrible and never improved. :(

Here are some of my thoughts (not with a great memory).. maybe others can relate:

Corps which seemed to usually have GREAT programs in most years. You LOVED them when you saw them and wanted to see them again:
. Madison Scouts (often)
. Santa Clara Vanguard
. Concord Blue Devils (NOT 2012)
. Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights ( 1954-63)
. Cadets (often!)
. Spirit of Atlanta (1980s)
. Bayonne Bridgemen (1970s)
. St. Vincents Cadets (1950s and 1960s)
. St Josephs Cadets, Batavia, NY. (1960s)
. Boston Crusaders (1960s)

Corps with good programs which seemed to get better and more interesting as the year went on:
. Racine Kilts (1960s)
. Blue Stars (1970s)
. Des Plaines Vanguard (1970s)
. Cavaliers
. Belleville Black Knights (1960s and 1970s)
. Imperials (1960s)
. Casper Troopers (1960s)
. Phantom Regiment

Some corps which were usually OK in performance but had terrible shows:
. Star of Indiana
. Royal Airs (until 1965)

Of course, there were years when some of these corps came up with GREAT shows (or the opposite) despite their usual record.

Bridgemen 1980 (as long as I don't have to look at them) - actually listened to it yesterday.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Ha! Bob, go to this website and you can watch (and listen)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F15ZRtX3LHE&feature=related

Certainly nothing Green!

What did you do in the Corps? Soprano

What years were you a Corps member? Cadets 61-62 Imperials 63-67

Here is another aspect to that .. have you ever had a corps program (or selected tunes) STAY IN YOUR MIND..so that you keep remembering it?

Maybe even humming the tunes?

I do....

1. of course, I tend to remember the Imperials programs a lot
2. I remember the Golden Knights programs often
3. Another of my personal favorites- Cadets 1960-63
4. Blue Devils - 1976 and 1986
5. A lot of Madison Scouts shows
6. RoyalAirs 1965 and 1966

I tend to remember - and sing - the drum parts, which is fun for me but really irritating to the people around me (especially my non-drum corps wife).

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Seem to get a lot of comments on the 2012 Blue Devils by people who have seen them in person. Their last number (Peppy and George from the movie the Artist), is pure big band swing with main drum porting being a kid playing a set of traps and they throw in a short part and blow. Heard a rumor they were going back to some Stan Kenton stuff this year but well see what they come up with.

Corps that never grew on me include the Skokie (aka Des Plaines) Vanguard and the Cavaliers (except 1960). The Vanguard had a way of butchering Hy Drietzer (New York Skyliners arranger) arrangements and mellophones that sounded like kazoos. Most of the DCI versions of the Cavaliers are on a par with Star of Indiana.

I'd say the same for the DCI version of the Cadets except for their 2002 tribute to New York after 911 and the 2011 show "Angels and Demons".