Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Why Indy?

Not too long ago, DCI moved its headquarters to Indianapolis, IN, and the finals are held there each year in the domed football stadium. The NCAA moved its headquarters there too. Both used to be headquartered in Chicago and the Chicago area. What's the big deal about Indy? Why is this happening? And what other groups have moved there? Why?

Re: Why Indy?

Rumour had it that DCI wanted to be very close to Bands of America Headquarters....and now they are. Secondly, I once heard that Lucas Oil Stadium was built with acoustical considerations for field performances...for BOA and DCI. Just sayin'....Like Fox news says..."We report, you decide."

BB

What did you do in the Corps? Soprano

What years were you a Corps member? Cadets 61-62 Imperials 63-67

I think that BillB is correct about the relationship between DCI and BOA. There was even some talk that the two would eventually merge!

Dave and Bill B both cited the BOA relationship which from a business sense seems like a primary factor.

Also, I guess having a constant location for the nationals is good for planning and overall cost. Suppose it allows them to manage housing for the corps better as well.

My company has one of our larger offices in Indianapolis and since 2010 I've been in town quite a bit (before 2010 the only time I was in Indy was when we marched in the 1963 Indy 500 parade--Indy is a place I wouldn't go to unless I had a good reason.). My impression is that it is a lot less expensive to do business there than a mega metro area like Chicago--lower wages and lower cost of living.

Never had opportunity (time) to attend DCI but I imagine lodging costs are low too. The stadium is downtown and the downtown major hotels (Hilton, Sheraton, Marriott) are one-third to one-half what one would pay for hotel around O'Hare.

The logistics of doing 'Nationals" at Indy makes sense ..central site, lower costs, can be made a part of their "touring" schedule.

Note too, that Indiana is a real hotbed of marching bands .. so their attendance at DCI is a really big deal.

I'm sure it was purely business. I know the consistency is nice, but wasn't it more exciting to look forward to seeing a new city every year for nationals? Many of us remember what year a particular nationals was by which city it was in.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

I'd like to see it on the West Coast once and a while. Several years ago there was a show at Stanford that had half the DCI World Class corps. Another one was taking place near Fresno the same night with the others. This was of course the weekend before the finals in Pasadena.