Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Songs That Never Made It To The Field

Last weekend I saw the last 10 minutes of the Rocky and Bullwinkle movie. Reminded me of how '65 RA used to use the Rocky fanfare before Ballyhoo - but that fanfare did not make it to Nationals at McCormick Place.

John A - you will probably remember - wasn't Harlem Nocturne a replacement for something?

I suppose I am having a senior moment, but all I remember was the RA opening with a "Chicago" fanfare. Not Rocky.

Considering Rocky came out in 1976, I highly doubt RA played it. Come on, John!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

The Rocky fanfare was from the cartoon show Rocky the Flying Squirrel not the Sly Stone movies. Dah-digga-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah followed by bass drum shave and haircut paradiddle tap then Ballyhoo.

Adam - help me out here.

Only you would mention Rocky and be talking about the cartoon...

And on a related note - I noticed that WGN is airing a show on Thanksgiving day looking back at Bozo, Garfield Goose, and Ray Rayner (the Holy Trinity of kid's programming in the 60s and 70s in Chicago)!

And I'll probably watch...

Hey, we watched Ray Rayner every morning with our kids ... the annual turkey carving was a treat to see!

I've got my DVR set to record it while I'm in South Carolina! And yes, Ray carving (butchering) a turkey was always priceless.

Dave and John,

The Royal Airs did play the Rocky the Flying Squirel theme. Sometime in mid-60s. Might have been 1964 rather than 1965. I think it might have been an opening fanfare to Ballyhoo march.

Rocky and Bullwinke were around in the early to mid-60s. They had a spinoff called Dudley Doo Right--Canadian Mounty. Some corps played the theme from that cartoon as well. The one I really liked was the Anahiem Kingsmen playing the Mickey Mouse Club song.

Back to the topic, I also have music to "All or Nothing at All" and old Sinatra song. I think that might have been tried in offseason between 1962 and 1963. It was more of a concert type song and might have been considered before "Old Man River."

1963 was the year that VFW was supposed to be held in New Orleans. It was moved because of segration issues in the south. We ended up going to the Dream instead. Interestingly, if you listen to a lot of the junior corps from the year you hear songs that relate to New Orleans--South Rampart Street Parade, Old Man River, etc.

Thanks for the info John. Actually, even though the RA scores were good in 1961-64, they really never made it to MY 'radar screen' until Truman Crawford arrangements were the basis for their shows. The Tarsitano stuff was horrible.

I do not remember any Rocky squirrel fanfare.

I have the two RA CD's that my Dad had - one is the Tarsitano years, and the other is the Truman Crawford years - and there is obviously a huge difference in the arrangements. But it's also interesting to see how quickly they became a national contender and eventually a national champion.