Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WHY WERE YOU AN IMPERIAL?

An Imperial alumnus recently talked to me about his reasons for joining the Imperials, rather than another drum corps.

This made me wonder: WHY did our members become Imperials?

WHY were you an Imperial? And NOT a Cavalier, Royal Air or Vanguard?

Of course, many of us were Imperials because it was a local community youth activity. We were in school together, saw each other at church or around town. It was a local youth activity. In fact, for many years, most of the Imperials came from the Cadet corps.

Some members came to the Imperials because their local corps folded (such as Windy City Cadets, Spartans, Vikings). They chose the Imperials over other corps.

But, after we learned about drum corps choices, we could have moved to other corps. Most did not do this. We had fun together all year and, after we aged out, we have maintained our friendships for life.

What is YOUR story?

Re: WHY WERE YOU AN IMPERIAL?

I had been drumming since I was 4 years old (Dad was a drummer with the Joliet American Legion Band, and saw the drum corps all the time at local parades and shows where the band appeared). He didn't know any details about the activity, but apparently the Cavaliers were re-starting their Cadet corps (again), and were handing out fliers at a local show. My brother Steve and I joined in the fall of 1969, but by April of 1970, the corps really wasn't going anywhere. Don Warren and Sal Ferrara suggested that we check out Norwood's Cadets, who were going full-strength with a full summer schedule. We went to a rehearsal at St. Techla's school parking lot, and marched our first parade the next weekend. I stayed in the Cadets for 1970 and 1971, then moved up to the 'A' corps in 1972 and 1973 (Steve joined me in 1973). Dad managed the Cadets in 1971 and 1972, in addition to helping on the 'A' corps equipment truch (the famous White Elephant), then left the Cadets and became the full-time Quartermaster when Steve came up in 1973.

We left at the end of that season because Mom was having health issues (and was basically tired of spending all her free time in Chicago when we lived in Joliet). I made it until February of 1974 until I was climbing the walls to get back into the activity. I had received a call from the Cavaliers (I guess from an old roster in 1969), asking me to come check them out, since they had heard I had left Norwood. Dad felt we owed Norwood a "first look", since we had spent the last four years there. So we went to a rehearsal - remember, this is February - and it was a disaster. No show picked, members just kind of hanging around, the drum line shooting pool in the basement room of the Skokie AL Post. Just total disorganization. So we went to the next Cavalier rehearsal and spent the next three seasons there (74-76).

I didn't march in 1977 (getting ready for college and needing to work, along with "differences of opinion" with the direction of the Cavaliers). In 1978, I started college at Northwestern, and was in the drum line there with Joe Donelly (I had marched with both Joe and his brother John in Norwood). They asked me to help teach the Cadets drum line, then Bill Strauts asked me to move up and help him with the 'A' corps line, along with Paul Wojtena. My intention was to just be the drum instructor, but halfway through the season Hank Grana thought it would be a "hype" for the corps to also have me march as the second Drum Major, along with Jan Warren. I did both jobs that year and the following year (1979). I left in 1980 to march my ageout year with the Spirit of Atlanta.

The interesting parts are that I am, for whatever reasons, thought of as a Cavalier, but I spent three years with them and a total of six with the Imperials, and only one with Spirit (personally, I consider myself a proud alumni of all three corps, and don't see a problem with that); also, although I made great friends in all three corps, it was never because we went to school together (being from Joliet, I was considered "far away" - pretty laughable by today's standards!). I have maintained those friends - and, unfortunately, lost one of my greatest ones several years ago - strictly because of the bond the corps provided.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Thanks, Bob, for an interesting story. There are many roads to 'being an Imperial' it seems.

And, I'd agree, you can enjoy being an alumnus of several corps.

I became a Imperial because,as the saying goes it was in my blood to do so.That's the way it was for my family.Norwood was
was the drum corps to be part of.My sister was the first one,than came my two brothers, Roger,Ron,and than I was next.And to
be honest with you I enjoyed every year I was in Norwood for better or worse.

The friendships and the memories you gain from the experience,is something that stays with you,your whole life.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963

Rich's post reminds us that FAMILY connections were often a big reason for becoming an Imperial. There were a LOT of "corps families" in Norwood... not only brothers and sisters, but cousins too. And, of course, the moms and dads were usually active in many ways!

There were some great families involved in Norwood over the years. And they all had kids that were part of Norwood.

Gosh,. Rich is right again. There were many families with 2 or 3 generations of family members (children, cousins) involved in the Imperials.

Now, THAT would make it VERY hard to join another corps ... such as the (ugh) Cavaliers!

Yes it would've been very hard to join some other drum corps, because of the family ties. Like I said, I'm glad it worked out
the way it did,no regrets.

I would imagine that happened in many corps in those days, not only out of loyalty, but also because families tended to live near each other more in those days, and therefore they often joined the closest corps. Once one member was in, others would tend to follow. It could also provide protection sometimes from some of the crazies in every corps who took new-guy games a little too far...

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79